If I did not enjoy Mulholland Drive, should I give Twin Peaks a chance?

no.

But at the same time, I'd give Mulholland Drive another chance. A lot of people will tell you not to read any explanations of the plot, but definitely give it a go because it might put to rest any "emperor has no clothes" thoughts you may have after seeing it for the first time and approach it from another angle. When I first saw it, I came to the conclusion that I did not like David Lynch. But it really is actually a very well thought out story told in a different language, if you will. If it was told in a more straight forward manner, it would lose a lot of the effect that is crucial to the film's experience and overall theme. That strange language is what sets his movies apart. A kind of logic that seemingly makes no sense but is very precise yet intuitive. I would never say, "oh you're just not sophisticated enough to 'get it'" because that's ridiculous. They're just movies, primarily made to entertain.

I definitely don't understand Inland Empire for example, but you're probably not supposed to. The feeling of confusion and discomfort is intentional on that one.

in lynch films it doesn't matter if you get it or not, you just feel it, and or you like what you feel or you don't, Bread didn't, so, no twin peaks for Bread! :cisfor:

i'm just being a dick, as always...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

I've been watching it with about 3 or 4 of my friends. Hopefully we can get through the whole show together. They've only seen a couple of episodes so far but they like it a whole lot, and damn right they should! Easily one of my favorite anything ever put to film.

And absolutely seconded on the comment regarding the last episode. Whether you like the second season or not, it is WORTH IT FOR THE LAST EPISODE. I've never felt so viscerally unsettled and hypnotized by anything I've ever seen on television.

Guest RadarJammer

If I did not enjoy Mulholland Drive, should I give Twin Peaks a chance?

no.

But at the same time, I'd give Mulholland Drive another chance. A lot of people will tell you not to read any explanations of the plot, but definitely give it a go because it might put to rest any "emperor has no clothes" thoughts you may have after seeing it for the first time and approach it from another angle. When I first saw it, I came to the conclusion that I did not like David Lynch. But it really is actually a very well thought out story told in a different language, if you will. If it was told in a more straight forward manner, it would lose a lot of the effect that is crucial to the film's experience and overall theme. That strange language is what sets his movies apart. A kind of logic that seemingly makes no sense but is very precise yet intuitive. I would never say, "oh you're just not sophisticated enough to 'get it'" because that's ridiculous. They're just movies, primarily made to entertain.

I definitely don't understand Inland Empire for example, but you're probably not supposed to. The feeling of confusion and discomfort is intentional on that one.

in lynch films it doesn't matter if you get it or not, you just feel it, and or you like what you feel or you don't, Bread didn't, so, no twin peaks for Bread! :cisfor:

i'm just being a dick, as always...

Mulholland Drive feels like a cautionary tale you would hear recounted at a drug dealers house while Twin Peaks feels like the bedtime story a tipsy mother tells to her children at night. If you didn't like Mulholland Drive I would probably skip Blue Velvet but I would definitely give Twin peaks a go.

Had no idea what it was a reference to when I found out about that band.

Now THAT is great. BOUGHT!

Maaaaan... I could listen to this forever and ever.

i like the bit (not sure if its the series of FWWM) when coop is looking at houses in the area and flips a coin to decide between 2 of them. then the coin like lands on the table and rolls over to this other pic of a house and he decides to go with it and investigate.

and the bit where bowie is lookin at the cctv cam in fwwm im like wuttttt

Guest jasondonervan

The last time I watched it all was a couple of years ago, but this thread is convincing me to kick it off all over again. Both series are on Netflix, job done!

...and the bit where bowie is lookin at the cctv cam in fwwm im like wuttttt

Yeah, that's one of my favourite bits of that film. I can see why FWWM it got a negative reaction at the time, but it's bloody briliant.

The last time I watched it all was a couple of years ago, but this thread is convincing me to kick it off all over again. Both series are on Netflix, job done!

How much is it on Netflix? Can physically own it for a decent price here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Definitive-Edition-Version/dp/B0030IM458/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362574462&sr=8-1

Guest jasondonervan

How much is it on Netflix? Can physically own it for a decent price here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Definitive-Edition-Version/dp/B0030IM458/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362574462&sr=8-1

I've got the Region 1 version of that tucked away in a storage box somewhere, but Netflix is a £6 per month subscription, watch as much as you like. I use a proxy for the US version too, so I can watch stuff that isn't on the UK version.

I think jasondonervan was talking about streaming it from Netflix.

...and the bit where bowie is lookin at the cctv cam in fwwm im like wuttttt

Yeah, that's one of my favourite bits of that film. I can see why FWWM it got a negative reaction at the time, but it's bloody briliant.

Absolutely, how many people do you reckon watched the film thinking that as it was a 'prequel' they could happily watch the feature without needing to see the show - Only for it to make almost zero sense and spoil the whole of the first series and half of the second series !

I think jasondonervan was talking about streaming it from Netflix.

Ah right, I have no concept of Netflix! I still prefer to physically own stuff I think.

Edited by rev85

Ok just watched the last episode. I can see why so many people were disappointed with it as there is so much left open. Any one got any views on the following (and yes, it probably all has been blogged about elsewhere by numberous people / theories....)

Why do people get twitching hands in the penultimate episode?

Why is Leo shown holding a piece of string in the last episode and what happens to him?

Was Ben Donna's father and what was he about to say before he got killed (presume he was killed as thats why he showed up in the Black Lodge)

Who was the log lady's husband and what did he have to do with it?

Laura's mother tells the colonel that her message is "I'm waiting for you in the Black Lodge" so I was half expecting the colonel to be shown in the Black Lodge but it kinda just ends there.

Never really understood Doctor Jacoby, what was he all about?

A few things that do get resolved which I quite liked

Lucy and Andy getting together and falling in love! Love how Andy cries at every possible opportunity. Favourite characters of the show by far.

James just disappears never to be seen again. Great.

Presume that Audrey is killed in the bank vault explosion and

Nadeen (sp?) reverting to her former self after a bump on the head and asking about her drapes (something to do with the doppleganger theme perhaps?)

Edited by feltcher

Ok just watched the last episode. I can see why so many people were disappointed with it as there is so much left open. Any one got any views on the following (and yes, it probably all has been blogged about elsewhere by numberous people / theories....)

Why do people get twitching hands in the penultimate episode?

Why is Leo shown holding a piece of string in the last episode and what happens to him?

Was Ben Donna's father and what was he about to say before he got killed (presume he was killed as thats why he showed up in the Black Lodge)

Who was the log lady's husband and what did he have to do with it?

Laura's mother tells the colonel that her message is "I'm waiting for you in the Black Lodge" so I was half expecting the colonel to be shown in the Black Lodge but it kinda just ends there.

Never really understood Doctor Jacoby, what was he all about?

A few things that do get resolved which I quite liked

Lucy and Andy getting together and falling in love! Love how Andy cries at every possible opportunity. Favourite characters of the show by far.

James just disappears never to be seen again. Great.

Presume that Audrey is killed in the bank vault explosion and

Nadeen (sp?) reverting to her former self after a bump on the head and asking about her drapes (something to do with the doppleganger theme perhaps?)

In all honesty, I think Lynch just set up all these weird situations just to fuck with people.

But...

I've read somewhere that Lynch was planning on letting Audrey survive and make a spin-off show with her which sounded a bit like what Mulholland Drive ended up being

But...

I've read somewhere that Lynch was planning on letting Audrey survive and make a spin-off show with her which sounded a bit like what Mulholland Drive ended up being

I wonder what the negative consequences of living in an alternate timeline where this actually happened would be, if it were possible to live in, or at least visit this world.

I also like how old people are depicted as being really slow and doddery throughout.

The guy in the bank who has to fetch Audrey her water then find the safety deposit box, shuffling around through really long drawn out scenes, just lols throughout.

The sugar daddy who marries the young lady then dies, then his brother (doppleganger again?) gets engaged to her.

Then there is the room service waiter in the hotel who has totally lost his marbles and repeats everything.

Man, I need to stop thinking about Twin Peaks.

Twin.

Twin = doppleganger or 2 of the same, or not the same.

The next time you see me I will be the same, but different.

Fuuuuuuuu

Then there is the room service waiter in the hotel who has totally lost his marbles and repeats everything.

Oh God I loved those scenes with Coop just there on the floor (left some words out as I don't want to spoil it for anyone).

thumbsup.png

oh yeah just remembered the bit where coops in the lodge and the other coop is chasing him wut twin peaks rules so hard ;( everyone told me it was 2 weird 4 everyone but when i saw it i got a pretty clear "mythology" from it, not so weird it made 0 sesne but weird enough to not make very much sense

how do i spoiler :S

Edited by mcbpete
Not with [code] tags! Bung [spoiler] text [/spoiler] to hide stuff. Not that your message made much sense ...