IGNORED

The Big Ol' Renoise Thread

T3551ER

FYI - Renoise updated to 3.2! Thread on Renoise forum here with more info/discussion. Major changes listed below:

What’s new

• HiDPI (Retina) support and custom GUI scaling options. See below for more information.
  • Rubberband 39 based native time-stretching options in the sampler.
  • Detachable mixer view. (Renoise only)
  • Custom exponential, per point scaling in all automation editors and the AHDSR modulation device.
  • Preview of sample editor selections with computer keyboard or MIDI.
  • A whole bunch of bug fixes 53.
  • Lua API changes: see here 15 Most Renoise 3.1 tools will auto-upgrade and work just fine in Renoise 3.2.

Edited by T3551ER
added video overview

4 hours ago, sheatheman said:

2.8.2 is my favorite version. I won’t update 

For 1 screen I agree, multiple screens and more juice i`d get the latest. 

2 hours ago, plugexpert said:

For 1 screen I agree, multiple screens and more juice i`d get the latest. 

out of curiosity, y? (i.e., what is it about 2.8.2 that is more favorable to 3.x's)? 

4 hours ago, sheatheman said:

In 2.8.2, everything is perfectly condensed to a single full screen view. Once they started throwing in additional  windows, my workflow and comfort was thrown off big time

Ta, good to know (might go back and try it out). Cheers!

Downloaded the 3.2 and trying it out. The timestretch is maybe a feature I'm going to be using in the future.

BTW, now been switching to use Renoise with Reaktor 5 and fuck it I'm seriously overwhelmed by the options and directions I could go..

17 hours ago, hijexx said:

If you feel overwhelmed by options perhaps give Moonfish a try:

moonfish.gif

http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/moonfish.shtml

Nice. I've actually experimented with artificially limiting the number of channels to 1 or 2 in Renoise and then switching between the different instruments and effects line by line. It creates kind of an interesting aesthetic when only 1 or 2 instruments can play at the same time. A kind of busy clarity which reminds me of the early '00s Ae.

• 10 months later...

Anyone how a way to control the pitch of a sample using the automation editor? The effect commands don't give me enough control. Thanks

29 minutes ago, vkxwz said:

Anyone how a way to control the pitch of a sample using the automation editor? The effect commands don't give me enough control. Thanks

In 3.x? Sure, make a control for it in the instrument editor (modulation, I think). Then create a macro for that control. Now this macro can be a target for automation, LFOs/metadevices, or commands, and you can offset or fine tune it as you like.

For those that don't frequent the Renoise forum, there is a bugfix release out now.

"

Registered versions can be downloaded at the Renoise Backstage 8 and demo versions at the Renoise downloads 1 page.

The Renoise 3.3 feature release is not very far away, but things are going steady but slowly here in general these days, so we wanted to get rid of a bunch of pending fixes better sooner than later. Especially the missing “Apple notarization” in older Renoise and Redux releases gets more and more a problem because more people are running OSX Catalina now.

Songs saved with this version are fully compatible with Renoise 3.2.1. Renoise tools are as well, as the Lua API version did not change.

Changes in Renoise 3.2.2 and Redux 1.1.2

Renoise and Redux

Renoise only

Redux only

"

• 6 months later...

Necrobump. Renoise 3.3 came out. Now does VST3 and sidechaining.

Been playing around with it last week. Such fun. For the first time in my life chopped up an amen break in such a way that it actually made sense.

Also made an Impulse Tracker skin for it for old times’ sake. Surprisingly pleasant to work with.

• Like 4

You could do a sort of sidechaining with signal follower before, like control gain of an amp on another track.

I guess now you can just use the Sidechain router to send the signal itself to sidechain ports of VSTs or native effects, like compressor.

• 1 year later...

Raspberry Pi support is big news.  I've already been thinking about getting a decent size touchscreen and cobbling together a dedicated, tracker-oriented little music computer with that, a Raspberry Pi 4 I already own, a compact point-of-sale keyboard I already own, a Hifiberry I already own, and a few other things - shared power supply for everything, MIDI interface, maybe panel-mount USB and full size HDMI ports) all stuck in a wooden box.  This pretty much seals the deal.  Since I already have a lot of the parts the whole project should be around $200 if I use a 10" display, a lot less if I use something smaller.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, psn said:

I'll try installing it on one of my PI3s to see how it performs.

Would the Renoise GUI make sense on a touch screen, though?

Sounds tricky, I would have the Keyboard. 

This sounds optimal for my RPI 400 ?

6 hours ago, psn said:

I'll try installing it on one of my PI3s to see how it performs.

Would the Renoise GUI make sense on a touch screen, though?

I'd be using it entirely from a keyboard, the touchscreen would just be there so  wouldn't need a trackpad or mouse or anything for those times where they can't be avoided.

Probably one of these, with some macros programmed on the extra keys. I haven't had a chance to test it with the Rasperry Pi or anything yet, just picked it up the other day.

clavier-alphanumerique-complet-cherry-sp

Mine's French, though, because that's what I happened to find cheap.

Edited by TubularCorporation