IGNORED

Societas x Tape

manmower

I had to listen to this drifting in and out of sleep sadly, but the parts I caught I loved, everything I heard live was new to me. (I take it from the track spotting in this thread that some of you are more familiar with this sort of stuff.)

I wonder how many more hours of radio they could fill, NTS residency anyone?

Going to scour the web for downloads of everything I missed this weekend now.

Sorry for everyone who was expecting something of a completely different nature!

7 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

2007:

2008:

2013:

this is what we know, apparently work on doing a proper release of the vaults has been going since atleast 2008 and it's v time consuming, we got th in 2013 and they have been busy w personal stuff then proper silence since 2015 (until now I guess.. kinda?)

so who knows!

lol this is like Joyrex talking about finishing the site.

They can do what they like but I’ve always admired artists who are always trying to release new stuff, the mystique they try to cultivate arguably wore thin around Geogaddi. I like the Mark E Smith mentality of it being  job so get on with it. I hope they’re at least doing nice things like baking and painting rather than obsessing over drum sounds for all this time.

Edited by tec
Eh

7 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

^ yeah that I can also only speculate the brothers have far more stuff on tape, DAT, and other iterations of demos, mixtapes, etc. that would take a while to properly archive and organize, and that's just their own material.  This mix really shined some light on their personal collection and knowledge of other underground and obscure music. I can only imagine they're sitting on some very rare private press and home demos from friends, peers, and tape traders. RDJ and Autechre have had some mixes of similar obscure record density, albeit more electro / techno stuff, that were pandoras boxes for crate diggers and trainspotters and this BoC set is very much the same level, even more so arguably. 

about halfway through this

that song at 57:05 holy fuck, lot of great and intriguing stuff before that but this one is stupid lush

The song at 57 min. - someone decided to chop 100 onions simultaneously in my house right when this came on it was really bizarre. 

Nobody can say for sure unless there’s a formal track listing but if that’s not one of their old tunes I’ll launch myself into the sun. 

6 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

The song at 57 min. - someone decided to chop 100 onions simultaneously in my house right when this came on it was really bizarre. 

Nobody can say for sure unless there’s a formal track listing but if that’s not one of their old tunes I’ll launch myself into the sun. 

Felt the same way about the very last track, Sea Cathedral. The mix was totally melancholic at times, looks like the bros still have their way to pull our strings. 

12 minutes ago, romanticdude said:
20 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Felt the same way about the very last track, Sea Cathedral. The mix was totally melancholic at times, looks like the bros still have their way to pull our strings. 

im fairly certain there is no track from them in there actually.. plenty of other tracks that sounded absolutely like them that have been found to be other people..

I really want to know what these tracks are though

18 hours ago, Gocab said:

Much much better isn't it?

I was surprised they actually mixed in other artists' music with their own - I was expecting (hoping) all BOC, but as always they defy expectations...

2 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

im fairly certain there is no track from them in there actually.. plenty of other tracks that sounded absolutely like them that have been found to be other people..

I really want to know what these tracks are though

It is looking more and more likely to be a full mix of other artists, but I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that they threw in a couple of their own pieces to keep us guessing. Some of it is just too close to their sound.

Edited by coarse air
Extra info added

18 hours ago, valleyinaire said:

never trust a joyrex :cisfor:

Why? I said it may be better than an album... that's a matter of opinion, not fact. One could argue an exclusive mix giving insight into BOC's musical influences and tastes is far more interesting than just their latest release.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Joyrex said:
19 hours ago, valleyinaire said:

never trust a joyre:cisfor:

Why? I said it may be better than an album... that's a matter of opinion, not fact. One could argue an exclusive mix giving insight into BOC's musical influences and tastes is far more interesting than just their latest release.

maybe but since you do after all have had contacts with the band we (or atleast I did) read that as semi confirmation that it was gonna be material from them... 

nwae its no big deal really

4 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

maybe but since you do after all have had contacts with the band we (or atleast I did) read that as semi confirmation that it was gonna be material from them... 

Well, there was, wasn't there? There's probably 7+ interlude tracks from them in that mix...

The big question is - is that new material, old material, or a mix(ture) of the two?

Just now, Joyrex said:
6 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

Well, there was, wasn't there? There's probably 7+ interlude tracks from them in that mix...

The big question is - is that new material, old material, or a mix(ture) of the two?

I'm really not sure if there is anything by them actually now.. I really thought the one at 33 mins was them but it wasn't , even that interlude of vaccination I think someone on twoism found a source for (although it was mangled by them)... 

time will tell as always!

Just now, MIXL2 said:

I'm really not sure if there is anything by them actually now.. I really thought the one at 33 mins was them but it wasn't , even that interlude of vaccination I think someone on twoism found a source for (although it was mangled by them)... 

57:05? Really? I'll get a turquoise hexagon tattoo if it's not BOC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joyrex said:
3 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

you might have to! it feels odd that they'd put just the one piece of their own work in the middle like that...

kinda feels like the whole point of this was to show that their sound is not exclusive to them but who knows what their rationale is.. I mean especially if u don't know either xD

4 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Lol I’m with you

upon further reflection and subsequent listens, this mix is absolutely legendary. I wasn’t even sure what I was hearing on the first pass. What a total treat this is.

• Like 2

Just now, chronical said:

oscillik it seems you misplaced your boyband. where are they?

They dropped me like a hot potato the moment I started getting too cynical ?

10 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Societas Y and Societas Z tapes, anyone?

Good question - a letter X, or signifying a collaboration or "cross" as it is used in Japan?

Is Societas the new name for Boards of Canada? Not like they haven't had other names in the past...

Or (most likely) it's just what they decided to name this thing they've shared with us...