IGNORED

Clark - Kiri Variations

Dpek

"Primary Pluck" has those Last Panther vibes, which I like. Panther is one of those albums I always forget about but love when I put it on. I can't blame the fella for steering into soundtracking. Probably much better money than what we give him for boof-tits n' compression.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn we gonna drop him like he's completely hot? Man I do love Mr. Christopher so hard but this one is dealing me a fit. "Simple Homecoming Loop" is among the most arresting 2:24 he's ever done. Then comes hootin' and hollerin' and pluckin'. I appreciate boundary explorations but I also feel like a hard-of-hearing grandpa sitting from his recliner and yelling "what's all that racket out there?!" in response to the din of a family gathering. 

I bought it but I think it will take some time to completely slag it off. Combat boot bangers these aren't.

This release is OK. I enjoyed it. Nothing special, but also not downright bad.

But I would expect it from another artist. It has some Clark-ian traits, but let's be honest, this is a collection of semi-acoustic, kind-of-ambient tunes.

I don't know why Clark doesn't use another pseudonym. Christopher Clark would be more than fitting for this release. I understand that he wants to enforce his brand as a monumental jack-of-all-trades name, but in my opinion something like Kiri Variations as one of the main releases of his catalogue only dilutes the power of his legendary albums like Body Riddle or Totem's Flare. Artists change, of course, but this is again something completely different than his previous release, which was again something completely different than before, etc...

Artist creates for himself but also for fans. There should be some continuity, or at least a clear change of sound in the wholesome image (name, a PR text, something). Clark, who because of his fans had his own sub-forum!, gets just 2 pages for his new album. This should mean something.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, Dpek said:

This release is OK. I enjoyed it. Nothing special, but also not downright bad.

But I would expect it from another artist. It has some Clark-ian traits, but let's be honest, this is a collection of semi-acoustic, kind-of-ambient tunes.

I don't know why Clark doesn't use another pseudonym. Christopher Clark would be more than fitting for this release. I understand that he wants to enforce his brand as a monumental jack-of-all-trades name, but in my opinion something like Kiri Variations as one of the main releases of his catalogue only dilutes the power of his legendary albums like Body Riddle or Totem's Flare. Artists change, of course, but this is again something completely different than his previous release, which was again something completely different than before, etc...

Artist creates for himself but also for fans. There should be some continuity, or at least a clear change of sound in the wholesome image (name, a PR text, something). Clark, who because of his fans had his own sub-forum!, gets just 2 pages for his new album. This should mean something.

I've been regretting my contribution to the "Give clark his own sub-forum!" campaign for a few years now.

I'm not sure he necessarily should be releasing this under a different alias, but I don't think this warrants a "proper album" release or marketing. It's little more than soundtrack outtakes. I should probably put it on right now to help me focus on work, I think it would accomplish that, and maybe help me fall asleep tonight, but that's really it. 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, mcbpete said:

Has he left Warp then - Seems like this and E.C.S.T. T.R.A.X. are both on his own Throttle Records label ...

That, or he's saving his experimental stuff for his own label (or WARP passed on it perhaps)?

The Last Panthers soundtrack came out on WARP...

It's not terrible, but I don't really care for any of it either. I think maybe he's gone bonkers and is trying to prove that he can compose music for real instruments to get rid of some chip on his shoulder. 

Give me some supercompressed bangers with riotous drums you fool.

I like it... As long as you don't go in expecting it to sound like anything he's done before. It's a good ambient/modern classical album but he should have released it either as a side project (not as a main album) or under a different moniker.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:19 PM, mcbpete said:

Has he left Warp then - Seems like this and E.C.S.T. T.R.A.X. are both on his own Throttle Records label ...

I remember reading about him creating so he could release some of his side projects but I could be wrong about that seeing as Clark lists Kiri Variations as a main album.

What's wrong with this album?
Very accurate soundtrack for tv series (and that's the purpose of the album). The use of acoustic instruments is interesting and he developed good techniques in this way since Iradelphic.
Should listen a couple more times to choose a favorite track 

I love this album. I deleted "Kiri's Glee" and it fixed the flow for me personally. Last Panthers was good but nothing really stuck in my mind about it. This one definitely earworms in ways Panthers didn't. "Simple Homecoming Loop" into "Bench" is just sublime. 

I feel badly for Chris somehow-it's like suuuuure, Richard can prep his pianos and swing his pendulums but as soon as Clark gives it a solid go, there's a weird "fuck you" response lol

51 minutes ago, xxx said:

I love this album. I deleted "Kiri's Glee" and it fixed the flow for me personally. Last Panthers was good but nothing really stuck in my mind about it. This one definitely earworms in ways Panthers didn't. "Simple Homecoming Loop" into "Bench" is just sublime. 

I feel badly for Chris somehow-it's like suuuuure, Richard can prep his pianos and swing his pendulums but as soon as Clark gives it a solid go, there's a weird "fuck you" response lol

I couldn't agree more

7 hours ago, xxx said:

You have to understand that most peeps on this forum have been craving for some good old smash-yer-head-in Clark for about 5 albums now. Techno-Clark just ain't cutting it and soundtrack-Clark most certainly ain't.

It's just a process of alienation of original fans, nothing more. This new work is legit as far as I can tell, it's just not for the OG base.

And to be fair, the one Aphex's solely classical EP has had the least response.

Just a quick follow-up. My favorite Clark's album is "Totems Flare". This album had imagination and BALLS like no other Clark album after it. It pushed the limits of genres, instrumentation, arrangements. And most of all, it sounded like CLARK in bold letters, the culmination of all his albums before it. It was like a fruit of a truly innovative genius mind and every album after it dissapointed me more. Not that they were bad. But "Empty The Bones Of You" - "Body Riddle" - "Turning Dragon" - "Totems Flare" streak with all accompanying EPs was unbelievable to witness in real time.

10 hours ago, B1000 said:

Clark sucks

Each to their own I guess, I always like his style and the fact that his tracks can shift from one sound to another in a second while still sounding smooth and vibrant. I also like his use of compression (I think I am one of the few) and harsh noises.

Archived