IGNORED

Help Wanted: Discogs API Integration

Joyrex

I'm looking for some help with integrating Discogs via their API into the forum - not quite sure yet what we could do/is possible, but someone who knows PHP and has experience working with APIs would be best suited.

I'm thinking having users' Discogs Collections displayed on their Members page, or items they have for sale or their wishlist - that kind of thing. It might also be handy when discussing a release to have a link to the release on Discogs and pull in artwork, info, etc.

Discogs API is here if you want to have a look: https://www.discogs.com/developers/#page:home

I'm also thinking for the benefit of whomever helps me out with this is to turn this into an Addon for Invision and in turn they could sell it in their Marketplace to recoup their time and effort if they wished.

PM me if interested, or use the Support link above to send me an email. Any ideas for the integration are also welcome!

• Like 1

• Joyrex pinned this topic
  • Joyrex featured this topic
12 hours ago, dr lopez said:

yes yes let the dick measuring begin

That's just an idea - it could easily be your 'wanted' list, or 'for sale' list, etc. - considering how extensive Discogs database is, I think it would be useful having an integration with it here on the site.

29 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

just sounds like you're describing discogs.

Well, yeah - because I am talking about integrating Discogs into the site so things like your Wishlist from Discogs and your items for sale would be listed on here as well...

1 minute ago, dr lopez said:

what about replacing the PSN shit with your discogs username so those curious can look people up on discogs

OR... add Discogs Username to the list of custom fields - good idea!

If we did the username thing, would any of these be helpful to display next to it?

• Things for sale count
  • Number of releases contributed
  • Release ratings count
  • Buyer/seller ratings
  • Collection/wantlist count (I guess this is where the dick-measuring comes in?)

14 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

If we did the username thing, would any of these be helpful to display next to it?

• Things for sale count
  • Number of releases contributed
  • Release ratings count
  • Buyer/seller ratings
  • Collection/wantlist count (I guess this is where the dick-measuring comes in?)

I think we'd want to display those things on the member profile pages - as you can see, I have already added the Discogs user URL field to the profiles.

44 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

what about replacing the PSN shit with your discogs username so those curious can look people up on discogs

Yeah spot on, sometimes the easiest suggestions are the best suggestions !

I can only see SoundCloud, psn, Xbox, steam and Nintendo in my profile bit, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I only watmm on mobile.

I have 247 utterly shit 80s pop 7" records I want to flog for 99p each, and one aphex field day lp for £600.

Lol

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

I can only see SoundCloud, psn, Xbox, steam and Nintendo in my profile bit, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I only watmm on mobile.

I have 247 utterly shit 80s pop 7" records I want to flog for 99p each, and one aphex field day lp for £600.

Lol

Should be in your profile fields - not sure what that looks like on mobile; let me take a look:

image.png

The fields are there when you edit your profile...

Now, they don't show up on mobile for users - I'm going to make adjustments to the WATMM Classic skin to account for that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, very honest said:

if we did an integration, like you described, is there a way it would bring in users from discogs?

What do you mean by "bring in"? Like get them to sign up for WATMM?

And yes, I know I owe you some emails... I need your help more than ever!

30 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

What do you mean by "bring in"? Like get them to sign up for WATMM?

And yes, I know I owe you some emails... I need your help more than ever!

np, of course.

i was just wondering if the integration you described would include any workflow that would result in new watmm users from there. like, somehow it would introduce watmm to some discoggers.

1 hour ago, very honest said:

np, of course.

i was just wondering if the integration you described would include any workflow that would result in new watmm users from there. like, somehow it would introduce watmm to some discoggers.

No; I was thinking more that we could easily reference stuff on Discogs in posts, maybe have a tab on the Members page listing the user's discogs collection (beyond just a link), etc.

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

No; I was thinking more that we could easily reference stuff on Discogs in posts, maybe have a tab on the Members page listing the user's discogs collection (beyond just a link), etc.

that would be cool. want lists too. 

https://www.discogs.com/developers

• 4 months later...

seems like the rate limiting for discogs could prove to be an issue since it's a max of 90 requests per hour. you'd have to implement some type of caching. that seems like the most complex piece of this.

i think it'd be smart to make this an add-on right off the bat and open source it, probably would get more contributors that way.

• Joyrex unpinned this topic