IGNORED

insanely good usages of gear you own and obviously suck at

thawkins

I think I am not the only one who gets excited about a piece of gear (or software), ends up getting it and then some time later the thing loses it's charm (if it ever had any) and ends up not fulfilling expectations, if not on a shelf gathering dust.

And then a while later this piece of gear shows up on someone's videos completely dropping your jaw and causing huge amounts of envy and regret when you realise that it's The Real Thing and not just some produced ad with photogenic people dancing around a MIDI controller with no cables and speakers in sight.

So as a first exhibit, let me present to you a spanish guy named _bichopalo_ who is absolutely killing it on a KOMA Field Kit.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plaid did an EP for Elektron for which they only used an Analog Rytm. They didn’t like it. I do mine, so maybe that explains the difference.

5 hours ago, thawkins said:

I think I am not the only one who gets excited about a piece of gear (or software), ends up getting it and then some time later the thing loses it's charm (if it ever had any) and ends up not fulfilling expectations, if not on a shelf gathering dust.

And then a while later this piece of gear shows up on someone's videos completely dropping your jaw and causing huge amounts of envy and regret when you realise that it's The Real Thing and not just some produced ad with photogenic people dancing around a MIDI controller with no cables and speakers in sight.

So as a first exhibit, let me present to you a spanish guy named _bichopalo_ who is absolutely killing it on a KOMA Field Kit.

that iPad is doing some work tho, what's the app?

very cool nevertheless

edit: @thread

(I own a 0coast)

p.s. if u used to daws for the love of god don't buy gear

Pretty much any of my fucking gear, I suck at all of it.

Beautiful thread idea, love it.

7 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

p.s. if u used to daws for the love of god don't buy gear

Truer words. That said, DAWs suck, I hate them. Anyone who's not a slave to the timeline yet should use software but something more fun and interesting like VCV.

Also I forgot to mention this in the original post, but guys please don't just come here to post Aphex Twin or Squarepusher, it's been discussed to death in all the other threads that those guys are undisputed masters of making people buy gear because they blew listeners' minds with their stuff.

It's still cool if you have new stories or something that personally touched you (like the R8 post above) that you want to share though. ?

12 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

that iPad is doing some work tho, what's the app?

very cool nevertheless

I think he's putting on some effects with the app but it seems that the Field Kit workflow is legit. I have messed around with the contact microphones workflow and it is not easy at all to get something musically useful. There are so many vids/live sets where you have some hipster rubbing their beard on a contact mic and most of the time they sound 100% the same. 

I got to dust mine off and steal some kitchenware again...

Going to post a second example now. This is using Nanoloop (which I use sometimes) and some effects pedals (which I don't, but it's a no-brainer to set up something similar using DAW plugins).

Sound turbonerds will no doubt point out that the sound of those specific pedals matters a lot, and to this I say: yeah but I am such a huge loser that I never actually thought about putting nanoloop through effects and messing around like this. I just at one point decided that nanoloop is for making chiptunes while traveling/commuting and chucked it in a psychological bin right there and then, which was obviously a mistake.

36 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

yes and no like.. it's cool but gear rlly do kills music more often than not sadly

I guess people can’t focus on one thing for too long nowadays... it’s sad. 

20 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Plaid did an EP for Elektron for which they only used an Analog Rytm. They didn’t like it. I do mine, so maybe that explains the difference.

that third track is straight halibut acid

I thought that Plaid EP was one of the best things they've done recently.

When did they say they didn't like using the rytm? If that's true they should try wrestling with gear out of their comfort zone a bit more often. I look forward to their next LP done entirely on an akai timbre wolf.

43 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

When did they say they didn't like using the rytm? If that's true they should try wrestling with gear out of their comfort zone a bit more often. I look forward to their next LP done entirely on an akai timbre wolf.

In the interview with the Elektronauts site, of all places. They made it very clear that they prefer working with computers and that gear is too limiting for them.

I agree with you - they should try this more often.

1 minute ago, rhmilo said:

In the interview with the Elektronauts site, of all places. They made it very clear that they prefer working with computers and that gear is too limiting for them.

I agree with you - they should try this more often.

I agree too, I still rate Mbuki Mvuki and Not For Threes as their best work.

5 hours ago, chronical said:

been experimenting with both elektron models and its slooowly making sense. this guy makes it look so easy though

Ha, Ehsan's a fkn genius. He's also in a super great space prog band:

Serious chops. A real keys player, and it really shows, even in his sequenced stuff. 

It's not passive, but this recent Hainbach video REALLY makes me want to recap the old Kron-Hite 3202 dual filter I've had kicking around so long I don't even remember when I found it. It sounds great (in the super clean test equipment way that I've never heard from any synth filter) but I'm in such a better position to really use it now than I was when it was working right.  Just needs a couple massive power supply caps, but I keep forgetting to order them.

5 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

It's not passive, but this recent Hainbach video REALLY makes me want to recap the old Kron-Hite 3202 dual filter I've had kicking around so long I don't even remember when I found it. It sounds great (in the super clean test equipment way that I've never heard from any synth filter) but I'm in such a better position to really use it now than I was when it was working right.  Just needs a couple massive power supply caps, but I keep forgetting to order them.

Really cool technique, and so simple.

I've used similar technniques for years and I've never gotten any mixer or effect to ring that nicely, there's always such a small, frequency specific line between barely audible and complete self-oscillation that getting it to do what he's doing is really impressive to me.  I usually end up using it for the standard 70s no-input mixer sounds or feeding a send effect back into itself just a little (or using it instad of the internal feedback control on a delay so I can add other effects in the feedback loop, but what he's doing sounds like resonances in an acoustic instrument.

Archived