IGNORED

Korg Volca series

Does anyone else get a really high frequency from the keys?

No, not that I've noticed. Is it still there if the delay feedback is all the way down?

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Bro

Can anyone recommend a good cheap secondhand hardware/guitar pedal compressor do go along with the Volca Bass as I'm interested in purchasing one? Safe! :D

Guest The Bro

Interesting aren't they a bit pricey though? Got any specific models you could recommend?

Guest The Bro

Yeah that compressor is a bit out of my price range. Probably looking to spend no more than £40 for a secondhand one. Thanks anyways man.

Behringer pedals are good cheap clones. I'm sure they do a compressor. None of mine have failed on me and I've been using them live and in studio for over five years.

Guest The Bro

Behringer pedals are good cheap clones. I'm sure they do a compressor. None of mine have failed on me and I've been using them live and in studio for over five years.

Yeah I was thinking Behringer. I'm pretty certain they do a compressor for peanuts lol.

Nice track, dude. I dig those detuned synths.

I just need to get the Beats unit and I'll have them all. I also need to get a proper audio interface with a few midi outs so I can really utilize them.

yeah I've been looking into that....is it easy? don't want to fuck up my beats. well, I do want to fuck up my beats, but in a different way.

fuck up your beats.

beats.

I was going to try the snare mod soon as it's apparently become a lot easier than it used to be. Someone found out that you can solder the capacitor into the spot where the missing component is rather than soldering on top of an existing one, so it's much harder to damage the PCB. I'm also going to add a midi thru port so I can add it to my chain, which it apparently pretty easy too.

Does anyone else get a really high frequency from the keys?

yup. both the keys and the beats I borrowed from my mate have a freq in there way above 20khz. if I record in 96khz then down sample to 44.1 with average interpolation it comes through as a high pitched tone :(

That fucking sucks. I thought it was my cable. Luckily I low pass everything...

Yeah it's easier now to mod the snare, just solder one cap in the empty C78 position. You still need a fine tip, but I managed to finish it in 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Jammed this out with Volca Keys, Electribe ES-1 and Beatstep lastnight:

https://soundcloud.com/pselodux/gvrodin

Beatstep -> Volca Keys -> cheap phaser -> Behringer reverb -> ES-1

with gate being controlled by the Audio In pattern on the ES-1; post-reverb so I could fuck with the tails.. and everything going through the on-board compressor. Sounded fucking mental!

It'd make a very easy live setup as well, since it ends up being one output without even needing a mixer. It's also dynamic as fuck—the above jam was cut from a 30min session that started off sounding like Tangerine Dream or something.

Track made with Volca Beats, Keys and Bass + some shit built in FX on my new well cheap mixer:

https://soundcloud.com/b-c-m/brian-branch-acid

this is awesome

---

Can't control the volca bass, i might me i'm a bit dumb but it seems like the sound its stuck in this very annoying low pitched tone (to be fair to me i've only played around with the bass a couple of time)

Jammed this out with Volca Keys, Electribe ES-1 and Beatstep lastnight:

https://soundcloud.com/pselodux/gvrodin

Beatstep -> Volca Keys -> cheap phaser -> Behringer reverb -> ES-1

with gate being controlled by the Audio In pattern on the ES-1; post-reverb so I could fuck with the tails.. and everything going through the on-board compressor. Sounded fucking mental!

It'd make a very easy live setup as well, since it ends up being one output without even needing a mixer. It's also dynamic as fuck—the above jam was cut from a 30min session that started off sounding like Tangerine Dream or something.

man, that was tas-ty!

One question, how easy do you find it to save/back-up the midi information of the beatstep sequences you make? And once saved, have you tested re-triggering the same instrument (Volca keys) via a DAW with the same midi info to see if it plays exactly as it did when you first made it?

I always find the sequences I make up on the fly with my Darktime never transmit exactly the same way once i've backed it up and am later sequencing it via Live.

Thanks!

edit: oh wait, you mean actually exporting to DAW track? I haven't tried that.. Not sure if it's possible to dump sequences to MIDI file via usb; I have a feeling that it would need to be manually recorded.

Archived