IGNORED

Korg Volca series

I played my first gig with the Volcas last night it went well. I feel the Beats does need a compressor to make it fit within the mix though. The bass drum takes all the room and I could barely make out hihats or anything else. It wasn't the best PA mind you, but yeah I think a compressor would help.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played my first gig with the Volcas last night it went well. I feel the Beats does need a compressor to make it fit within the mix though. The bass drum takes all the room and I could barely make out hihats or anything else. It wasn't the best PA mind you, but yeah I think a compressor would help.

Yea I noticed this. Also, you could lower the volume of the bass drum individually.

Gonna upload some more jams tonight or tomorrow, playing with these has been bliss

Yea I noticed this. Also, you could lower the volume of the bass drum individually.

Gonna upload some more jams tonight or tomorrow, playing with these has been bliss

Yeah you're right, lowering the bass drum is an option, but it takes a bit of time to mix all the percussions to taste with that one volume knob. Not really that ideal when in a live setting unless you have a decent sound check. Last night was a plug an go setup. The bottom can be insane from all three volcas too. The sound guy was afraid I was going to blow their subs!

only reason you'd -need- a hardware compressor is if you were trying to completely avoid running the unit through a computer. software will work fine.

lots of good demo tunes on this page btw!

I've been noticing some odd tuning problems with mine lately.. It'd be sharp upon turning it on after being off for a while (1 week or more), but turning it off and back on would correct it. Strange! They should have just put a damn tuning knob on it. It would be useful for live purposes too, since a sequence could be transposed. I wonder if there's a trimpot somewhere inside (or a hackable tuning circuit?) that I could exploit. Has anyone opened theirs up and attempted modifications?

[youtubehd]UwvjDvwg-y4[/youtubehd]

woa pretty cool. Do you have this pedal modey ? It sounds tasty and seems to be cheap

Yeah I've got one. It's one of my favourite pedals. It has a lot of modes, including a nice sounding spring emulation and a 'space' mode which adds higher octaves to the reverb. They also make one called 'echo machine' which is equally as awesome.

behringers are considered really terrible. i'm not sure why. have a few delays and all work nice. i guess if it's not boss it's shit.

boy, that was lovely!

How do you program those accent slides with the Bass, is it just in the midi data that you're feeding into it, or the particular sequencer your using to sequence it?

• 3 weeks later...

http://picosong.com/YtRe/

Just got the keys. I'm looping the stock pattern and improvising over it, with the patch tweaked to taste.

So fun.

I love the monotron, but MIDI! So cool.

meh, sounds homophobic.

:emotawesomepm9:

(I actually really want to get one of the volca keys, they sound really nice for the price point)

Guest The Bro

Still waiting to get my Volca Bass. My sister ordered it for me for Xmas from Digital Village but it still hasn't arrived. I think she's gonna cancel the order so I can get it elsewhere.

has anyone has any sound problems with their hi-hat sounds on the Volca Beats?

both my open and closed hat sounds are suddenly sounding horribly distorted and crunchy :cerious:

pretty funny that the mod almost sounds like it how it should have sounded originally, almost like they messed up the circuit board production and it was too late too fix it.

I was thinking the same.

However, the even better explanation I came to, is that they found out too late that the long leaky noise tail of the "modded" snappy portion is unnaceptable, so they had to fix it with a really quick hack. Which was replacing one capacitor. And in addition were they then glad that the instrument got a ton of character it lacked before, so it was a great win.

Not sure which one I'd prefer now, I'll wait a bit more if somebody manages to cut that tail so I don't have to open it twice. I don't think I could live with that tail, I'm really surprised nobody else is mentioning it.

edit: I'm quite high right now, it took me like half an hour to write this post!

pretty funny that the mod almost sounds like it how it should have sounded originally, almost like they messed up the circuit board production and it was too late too fix it.

I was thinking the same.

However, the even better explanation I came to, is that they found out too late that the long leaky noise tail of the "modded" snappy portion is unnaceptable, so they had to fix it with a really quick hack. Which was replacing one capacitor. And in addition were they then glad that the instrument got a ton of character it lacked before, so it was a great win.

Not sure which one I'd prefer now, I'll wait a bit more if somebody manages to cut that tail so I don't have to open it twice. I don't think I could live with that tail, I'm really surprised nobody else is mentioning it.

edit: I'm quite high right now, it took me like half an hour to write this post!

tumblr_m712iwnEXT1rn4yiqo1_500.gif

lol

I want a Volca Beats now though. the snare sounds much better that way and I don't really mind the tail. my sammichSID is noisy as hell. I just gate out the parts where it's supposed to be silent and that's it.

to be honest I didn't even notice it, but I was probably listening on low volume.. I'm sure my sammich is more noisy though, it crackles. doesn't bother me that much, just put a gate on it. I would like a pot to morph it from one sound to the other though, that would be awesome.

Guest AsylumSeaker

I got a pair of the beats. I used them in this: https://soundcloud.com/asylumseaker/miasma

Having two is cool.. being able to layer parts provides a lot more potential for depth. I'd like to get a 2 channel DJ mixer just for them, with eq for each channel, and crossfade to balance or swap between them. Alternatively I could mod them for individual outs for each part and get a mixer with channels for each. I'd love to be able to sort of 'dj' the beats, over the top of soundscapes and basslines, etc.

Archived