IGNORED

Korg Volca series

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting to get my Volca Bass. My sister ordered it for me for Xmas from Digital Village but it still hasn't arrived. I think she's gonna cancel the order so I can get it elsewhere.

I had a similar experience mate but I ordered mine in September last year - after about the 4th 'due date' passed I finally cancelled my order in January and bought a BassBot TT-303 instead :)

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else had volume issues with the Keys when using a MIDI keyboard rather than the built-in keys? The volume's way lower when I'm controlling it via MIDI. Admittedly, this might be the result of my ancient, crappy Casio keyboard but it works fine with Reaper so it just seems to be a Volca issue. Any thoughts/ tips?

Velocity's set as high as it'll go on the MIDI keyboard, it's still much quieter than using the built-in keyboard, even when I'm really thrashing it. There's possibly some total noob issue that I'm missing here, or it might just be that I need to buy a better keyboard...

could be keyboard(I've got a flakey keyboard that gives me pretty unreliable velocity differences a lot of the time/sometimes even refusing to play certain notes for no reason)/cables/jack adapter giving you quiet signal... all the volcas output in mono so make sure all the cables/adapters you are using for your volcas are also mono to give you the loudest signal? (I was using stereo related stuff for a while then realised this and swapped/all the volcas sound a lot louder/clearer now.

Yep, it's outputting in mono. Could well just be the keyboard and the Keys not getting along, or my cheap-crap Amazon midi cable. It shouldn't be too much of a pain as I can just double the Volca tracks in Reaper to bring it up to regular volume but thanks anyway, guys!

• 2 weeks later...

anybody having any problems with playback on their Beats?

I seem to only be able to launch/play back step sequences when it's 'sync in'd to another device. I can press the keys and get play back of the sound, but it won't play...also seem to have lost MIDI control over it

perhaps there's some setting I have selected on the beats?

• 2 weeks later...

thinking about getting a volca keys synth, hows the sequencer go for basic berlin school style sequences and can you change the pattern length for different time signatures? i assume so..

they look like some hands on fun and good for live use but a lot of hte online demos are pretty average at best

You can change the pattern length from 1 to 16 steps easily live with Active Step and you can save 8 patterns. In Active Step, you can turn on/off any of the 16 steps. So let us say that you turn off steps 1, 5, 9 and 13, it will just skip those steps like they didn't exist and will play as a 12 step pattern. This goes for all three Volcas.

• 2 weeks later...

So... I'm sure this has been asked before, but Bass or Keys? I'm thinking about getting one but I don't know which... I'm interested in harsh Monotron-type sounds but subtler sounds and metallic stabs are a plus. That seems to point towards the Keys but I've read somewhere that it's actually a bit pants compared to the Bass, so what do you think?

Does the Bass do ringmod though? That's key to metallic stuff, imo. I managed to crank out some Ae-style metallic ridiculousness within seconds of turning the Keys on when I got it.

Hmmm, yeah, ring modulation would be a plus. I'll have to drop by the store to see whether they'll let me play with the Volcas so I can decide.

Thanks!

By the way, can you sequence the three voices separately on the Keys?

No.

No.

You can with the Bass. The Keys isn't as programmable friendly.

A problem I noticed the other day (kinda my bad) I plugged a stereo 1/8th inch to stereo 1/4 inch converter and plugged in a regular guitar cable in. It created a signal feedback loop which then fed back into the sync output and started creating crazy speed ramping in the Beats from the Bass.

A problem I noticed the other day (kinda my bad) I plugged a stereo 1/8th inch to stereo 1/4 inch converter and plugged in a regular guitar cable in. It created a signal feedback loop which then fed back into the sync output and started creating crazy speed ramping in the Beats from the Bass.

Yeah, weird stuff happens with mono cables for some reason. They mess with the sync signal and the sequences get scattered randomly. I had to buy TRS 1/8" to TRS 1/4" cables to go to my mixer and they need to go into the inserts on the mixer to get a good signal.

Archived