IGNORED

Korg Volca series

Guest volg4

been firing my volca bass thru the monotron delay - wicked!

been firing my volca beats thru a kaoss pad mini - :wang:

volca keys thru reverb as most have already suggested....

also picked up an old 80's midi controllable ana/digi guitar rack fx unit (art sgx2000)

thats crazy firing anything thru it!!

anyone using midi controllerson their volcas? i've got some patches setup for the kenton control freak and it makes a huge difference being able to tweak 'properly'... i can adjust the pitch of all the pcm samples on the beats at once for instance...

i can have a patch with controls for all 3 machines on the same set of faders, really opens them up...

also, heres a headcam jam i did testing my gopro and syncing recorded audio..

[youtubehd]WRPZpkmSan8[/youtubehd]

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got the Volca Keys. By itself its kind of limited to making little phrases and loops in the patchbay, but after hooking it up to midi and building a pd patch controller for everything makes it for an amazing synth! The sawtooths are gold and thick and the ring modulated square wave has lots of versatility that you can get out of it. The echo delay is kind of weak overall but if you're trying to make textures its a good tool for that.

But god damn fuck Korg with their power supply and adaptors. It was difficult to find a 600ma 9v that would fit the input.

been firing my volca beats thru a kaoss pad mini - :wang:

Really? I think this combo is pretty great. I love the miniKP though, it sounds way better than it deserves to, at least to my ears. I love that weird stereo slop you get when you first fire up effect 65.

anyone using midi controllerson their volcas? i've got some patches setup for the kenton control freak and it makes a huge difference being able to tweak 'properly'... i can adjust the pitch of all the pcm samples on the beats at once for instance...

i can have a patch with controls for all 3 machines on the same set of faders, really opens them up...

Smart, I've been meaning to do this for my beats because yeah, having to re-set all the proper levels every time I boot it up is its main achilles heel. That and the lack of individual outputs, and I know you can mod them but the selection kind of sucks.

The toms on the beats are just lovely. It's fun to try to make melodies with the knobs. Most everything else on it is decent. Hard to find a sweet spot on that damn snare though.

Just got the Volca Keys. By itself its kind of limited to making little phrases and loops in the patchbay, but after hooking it up to midi and building a pd patch controller for everything makes it for an amazing synth! The sawtooths are gold and thick and the ring modulated square wave has lots of versatility that you can get out of it. The echo delay is kind of weak overall but if you're trying to make textures its a good tool for that.

But god damn fuck Korg with their power supply and adaptors. It was difficult to find a 600ma 9v that would fit the input.

yeah right i was wondering if it was my stupidity but you need a special adaptor, right?

i also got the keys as my first peace of real analogue equipment. together with my electribe er-1 it's as fun as it can get i guess. flux-mode + 1/4 time is gold... 64 steps for one memory, nice. i never get enough of tweaking the filter to its limits and doing weird lfo stuff. controlling the keys with an external keyboard / controller is easy as it gets. no comparison to the electribe with its shitty complicated messages.

over all you can't do anything wrong with getting these boxes. in my opinion the ingenieurs did a amazing job fitting so many useful features in these little machines. i'm pretty sure i will get the bass soon :emotawesomepm9:

Long live Korg and their analogue revolution

dont stop at Arp, remake the x0x series... go on (wont happen as roland use the names for sales but i can wish)

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_sample/ Volca sampler

Samples have to be added via some sort of forthcoming iOS app, no onboard sampling. But still.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe_sampler/ Electribe Sampler

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe/index.php Electribe Synth

The Electribes also have Ableton Live integration. And they're battery powered. And the synth has something stupid like 16 filters. And they both have SD card storage. Pretty impressive...

Edit: Also an update to their iPad app Gadget, with two new machines, better MIDI controller integration, landscape mode, and native Ableton Live export, same as the Electribes. And some other stuff. I don't work for Korg or anything, I just thought I'd stick it all in the same post.

:cisfor:

oh wow they look great! It doesn't look like the samplers are capable of melodic sequencing of samples though, which is a bit unfortunate.

Still, I'd probably pick up the Volca sampler if it's the same price as the others. Might be able to replace my ES-1, finally.

actually, probably won't be able to beat the ES-1, but maybe complement it.

It shouldn't require an iOS app to use a sampler...

I couldn't agree more - while I love the ipad for its music making devices, file handling is at best 'clunky'. Its always a bit of a work-around. It has got better tho but yeah, not a great move by Korg.

On a side note, their Gadget iOS app suddenly got a lot more serious with a whole host of midi options (sync!! yaaaayy!! :) )

Korg are good guys - they seem to care about all musicians rather than just the wealthy ones.

It shouldn't require an iOS app to use a sampler...

Korg are good guys - they seem to care about all musicians rather than just the wealthy ones.

Korg products are pretty awesome but they need some serious work with their AC adapter strategy.

I think it's well wicked that the electribe ones run on batteries. I don't use Live myself (basically OTB) but it's handy that you can export projects to it, I would certainly be up for recording a live performance and then editing in the computer. That's one weak spot of the Elektron gear (which is otherwise my favorite), there isn't an easy way to record your jams for use in Song mode so you have to switch to quite a different workflow.

I'd love to make a little all-Volca studio and carry it around in a suitcase but I think more likely I go for the Electribe synth.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I think this combo is pretty great. I love the miniKP though, it sounds way better than it deserves to, at least to my ears. I love

:wang: i always thought that meant awesome? (wang activated?) thats what i meant to say, miniKP is wicked with the volcas!

will probably be modding them at some point, seperate outs and midi out for the beats for sure, then see what else is possible

volca sample seems like a no brainer if someone writes an android app for sample upload, expect itll just be using the sync port so maybe an easy wav file translation to whatever format it needs.... would have preferred a line in tho

looked at the orig electribes lots over the years but never picked one up, might get one of these new ones

• 3 weeks later...

/offtopic: do you guys checked out the new sample / loop function in the new small kaoss pad? i'm thinking of getting one to be able to loop something on the fly or do you have better ideas for that?

Just ordered all 3, first analog synths/machines I've bought. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Noob question. I presume I need a mixer to record all instruments at the same time? Otherwise I'll have to do them individually?

Does your soundcard have less than 3 inputs? Then a mixer is probably required (if you wanna record to pc)

Sorry man, should've given more info. I am using ableton on a macbook pro.

Archived