IGNORED

Autechre and their visual aestetics

wredny

dunno, if he starts his piece by negging minimalism, then he should be able to at least convey... something...? in that piece?

But it's full of little errors and a little lazy tbh, e.g. he missed the Fallingwater reference and it's quite revealing that he doesn't have a clue what CAD means.

tbh.

imo.

I remember reading somewhere that it was Rob who did the art for the Confield cover (maybe that was in the AAA thread), anybody can confirm ? It's not mentionned in the article, althought it's quite interesting especially within the context of their musical progression !

The article is even more poor now that they missed that little nugget. I award no points.

not to mention the fact that he couldn't find out that the cavity job/lego feet album artwork was made by hanal

Yeah, a lot of that missing info would be inevitably uncovered w minimal research.

I he author prefers to be bliss-fully ignorant

:emotawesomepm9:

"There’s virtually no aesthetic relationship between these covers and what Autechre would later release"

This sentence, in regards to the covers for Cavity Job and Lego Feet, and their relationship to later Autechre material is pretty off the mark, I'd say

i believe that it's the same ponytail on all of this 3 covers and i'd like to know why!!! was ludovic navarre part of ae?! is he also the speedy j?

R-491-1373618419-2650.jpeg.jpg

9_ep7_ae.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Draft 7.30 is my personal fave

Same, especially the inner slides of the jewel CD case. I'd say it's the most organic among all of their release cover artwork. Not sure that can ever be topped in terms of complexity.

As for the cover of Amber, I understand it was photographed somewhere in Turkey. But it was so long ago I don't remember the source.

Same, especially the inner slides of the jewel CD case. I'd say it's the most organic among all of their release cover artwork. Not sure that can ever be topped in terms of complexity.

As for the cover of Amber, I understand it was photographed somewhere in Turkey. But it was so long ago I don't remember the source.

I really like the juxtaposition of the teal colour with the grays and browns.

The article does come off a bit lazy with oversights(steps) like using the 2011 lego feet reissue, missing falling water reference.  In his defense he called it a 'brief history'.. but still kinda lame given how much material one could work off of on this subject.  The differences in how they've presented different formats (vinyl, cd, gescom minidisc, digital files embedded artwork) is a ripe topic.

Its a photo of Cappadocia, Turkey.  And yes Garbage ep is a remix of amber artwork, seen quite clearly on the cd sleeve art

https://www.google.com/search?q=cappadocia&safe=active&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=633&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpmcKhoK3OAhXJmh4KHUx-DOIQ_AUIBigB

R-2497-1379477787-9843.jpeg.jpg

edit: marked said it first, yes, rose valley

p.s. my fav is the cover of untilted followed by draft

LP5's dark grey jewel case is my favourite. I know it's not strictly 'album art' but it's still one of the most inventive/post-modern album covers I've seen. or something lol

Untilted is my fave. Have had it as my wallpaper on my phones for years. Second is the Draft one. The EP7 frosted jewelcase is neat also, only fear that it will break and it's not something you can replace. 

The EP7 frosted jewelcase is neat also, only fear that it will break and it's not something you can replace. 

yeah my copy of ep7 was slightly broken ever since I bought it (just on the hinge though).. it was unused stock, but being Australia (and Perth at that), it had sat in the store for years and naturally got worn. And I didn't want to complain about it, because that was literally the only place I could find it back in the days before I could order anything on the internet, so I just paid the exorbitant $35 price and lived with it..

I really appreciated that Oversteps had slight differences for the artwork on each track when it came to the digital versions. The circles are all just a tiny bit different, it's really quite fun to treat them like a flip book. The vinyl packaging for that album is great too, what with the bright green on the inside of the sleeves being a huge contrast.

Untilted is my fave. Have had it as my wallpaper on my phones for years. Second is the Draft one. The EP7 frosted jewelcase is neat also, only fear that it will break and it's not something you can replace. 

My EP7 doesn't have a frosted case. Is it because I'm in the US?

Archived