IGNORED

Pans, casseroles, etc.

Berk

A thread about pans.

I'll start with a cocotte related question.

I've been looking for a good deal on a Le Creuset or Staub casserole. But I was too late every time. For all you panpassionate watmmers out there, are they worth the money? Or will buying a 30 euro Ernesto cocotte from Lidl sort me out just as well? Thx

In my limited experience it also depends on what you cook on.

I'm on induction and don't think I'll bother with any more fancy pans. Got a free le creuset frying pan at the beginning of the year and initially was super enthusiastic about it but after adding a cheapo non-stick pan last month I find myself defaulting to that because for me it's easier to get good results. On gas I feel the difference is much more noticeable.

I'm far from a great cook though so I'm missing a shitload of knowledge and nuance and probably shouldn't even be making this post.

Not actually a casserole dish per-se? But we use our paderno dutch oven all the time. It's like the... original instant pot if you're experienced with cooking. Saute, boil, braise/roast etc as long as you know what you're doing you'll get an amazing dish out of it. 

^ thank you, uncle Roger.

Yes, expensive pans are worth it. They last long and can take a lot of abuse, unlike @user’s cheap non stick pan which will be dead in about two years.

That said, there’s also a law of diminishing returns where after a certain point paying much, much more doesn’t really yields much of an additional benefit. From my limited experience with them I’d say Le Creuset lies on the wrong side of that divide. YMMV.

I’d say any solid, cast iron pan will be good enough. It doesn’t have to have a Le Creuset stamp on it to be reliable.

Since you’re in NL, you can try “BK” pans. They’re fairly reliable (my stainless steel frying pan has been abused from here to hell and back for the past 19 years and is still going strong) and reasonably affordable.

• Like 2

my gf and I had a nicer nonstick pan (a step up from baseline department store fare). And then one day we came home and our roommate was literally scraping it clean with a fork.. we talked with her but she had been doing it for a while, the damage was done :cry:

keep telling myself ill get a cast iron someday but never get around to it

I've always avoided non-stick pans, prefer to use a regular stainless steel pan with a little olive oil for just about everything. but just recently I got on a Dosa kick and ended up totally screwing up a few of them with the steel pan, so I bought a non-stick. it was between the Rachel Ray and Chrissy Teigen ones as I stood there trying to decide in Target, ultimately went with the Rachel Ray (even though I can't stand her). it works really well for Dosas, since you can leave them there for much longer and they don't get all crunchy and charred. but for quesadillas/grilled cheese's, I'm still siding with the stainless, because it gets a lot hotter and cooks much quicker.

no comment on any of the higher end cookware options. I think the steel pan I have I bought for probably around $80 7-8 years ago, and it still does the trick.

• Like 1

I bought a Cuisinart ceramic frying pan about a year ago and it's been great. It's been easier to clean than any non-stick teflon pan I've used, but I basically just fry eggs, tortillas, and the occasional stir-fry dinner.

I have a glass casserole dish I bought from Safeway and it's alright. Good for lasagna.

Cast iron crew in the house. Takes ages to develop a good patina but you gotta love the solid heat and sear you get on anything from steak to carrots. I'm cooking a lot of fish these days and need to get another one 

IMG_20201017_092750.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys 

Got this beauty, can't wait to use it to be honest 

It's from the brand rhmilo mentioned, BK

Screenshot_20201017-172200.png

Screenshot_20201017-172149.png

Edited by Berk
  • Like 3

First recipe I made with this worked out great. I was proud tbf. Lol

Spoiler

Autumn: Beef stew with mushrooms in wine 'O la la dit is delicious Other, Main course, 4 persons, Preparation time 180 minutes, Dutch Last modified: Apr 17. 2019, 23:05 | Saved 16 times Add to My List Add to favorite AH recipes Print recipe Email this recipe Ingredients ** *** see below Prepare Ingredients for 4 people 750 gr marbled sukade cuts 150 gr smoked bacon cubes 4 large onions (half rings) 2 cloves of garlic 2 winter carrots 1 beef stock cube 1 stock cube forest mushrooms (AH) 1 t provencal herbs 1 t allspice 2 cloves 1 st paprika powder 5 th Olive oil 3rd butter 40 gr flour Freshly ground black pepper Sea salt 2 bay leaves 150 gr chestnut mushrooms 100 gr shiitake 50 gr chanterelles 100 gr oyster mushrooms 500 ml of boiled water 500 ml of good red wine 1 can of tomato paste (70 gr) Fresh parsley (finely chopped) Preparation method: Chop onions, press garlic, cut carrot into slices. Take a casserole, frying pan or slow cooker and add 3 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp olive oil. Heat well. Season the sucade with salt and pepper. Streaky sucade i.e. beef WITH fat threads in it. That fat gives off a lot of flavor and people, especially children, like it. Fry the slices over a high heat and brown alternately. Cutting is allowed, but not necessary. Sucade falls apart on its own and remains tender. Add boiling water from the kettle, add the 2 stock cubes until the meat is just covered. Add the onions, garlic, smoked bacon cubes, bay leaves, paprika, provencal herbs, cloves and allspice. Those flavors are absorbed into the meat. After 2 hours of simmering over low heat, add the carrot and the red wine (I used Côtes du Rhone, rèserve de Bonpas, a Gall & Gall 8 ¿bottle that is also excellent drinkable). Now take a small frying pan. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and lightly fry the mushrooms. Leave small ones whole, cut large ones in half. Season with salt and pepper. After 2 ½ hours of simmering, add the seared mushrooms, tomato puree and flour. Flour ensures that the sauce binds. I let it simmer for almost 3 hours until the beef fell apart. Taste and, if necessary, season something with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves, garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve. This is incredibly delicious and everyone will love it. Serving tips Delicious with green beans, stir-fried Brussels sprouts, red cabbage, boiled potatoes, puree, rice or on tagliatelle (pasta)

Excuse me for the half assed dutch to english google translation

https://www.ah.nl/kookschrift/recept?id=557335

Screenshot_20201021-100452.png

Edited by Berk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this specific BK model almost as expensive as a similar Le Creuset?

It was expensive but not as expensive as a Le Creuset.( I also had a gift card to burn which helped. )

https://www.fonq.nl/product/bk-bourgogne-wildpan-32-cm/265789/

I first went with the 30 euro Lidl pan, but it was ca. 21cm and on second thought I wanted to be able to put a whole turkey in if I want. Also to make bread etc. And I wanted it to be beige on the inside (so I can see better what I'm doing etc.) So that kind of narrowed down options for me

32 cm diameter sounds huge but in fact isn't really

Edited by Berk

Pathetic thread.

What kind of cunt takes a picture of his or her pan and says ‘oh yes look at me! look at my pan!!’

So pathetic. If you think I’m wrong. Please state why you honestly believe your right and I’m wrong.

Jesus Fucking Christ!

’Berk’ ? Really? Flol

Edited by beerwolf
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Fuck it, I'll bite.

Thanks beerwolf, for calling it. For a watmm thread, it is way too low on sarcasm, nihilism and layers of irony. It sucks. And fuck me especially for being a little enthusiastic about my new pan right?

Yeah; you're not right or wrong (who the hell cares btw lol?) - just sounding like a sad prick is what you're doing mate. 

I stand by my paderno Dutch oven lol. It’s built to last, I think it comes with a 25 year warranty. The thing is solid AF - 4717g without the lid ?. We’ve made so many good recipes in this bish and it’s awesome for shallow frying too.