IGNORED

What's something you miss/ are glad about nowadays?

milkface

Just now, Squee said:

Well, I do, but when you're younger everything is new and exciting.

Which is weird considering that as an adult you should have a much more developed perception and therefore a greater ability to appreciate things and view them from more different angles.

miss - music (or culture in general) not being immediately accessible from anywhere without any effort

glad - music (or culture in general) being immediately accessible from anywhere without any effort

like others already pointed out discovering new stuff without the internet made for alot more wonder and the feeling that this is your music / whatever. nowadays everything is basically just there for you to look up, nothing's really special anymore. contemporary media are a similarly double edged sword: more information available in general, lots of it being inane garbage, which spreads alot easier and faster than back in the day.

not related to technological progress: used to be smarter and more passionate in my 20s, now i'm wiser and more laid back tho. miss not having some chronic health issue shit and feeling indestructible in general but whatever... life is good now rly, at least i've come to appreciate what i do have alot more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I miss just hanging out with my friends for hours and having no plan 

Yeah! I thought maybe it was just me - but even when someone wants to hang out now it’s like... “want to come over at 1) this time and 2) we will do this 3) and this 4) and eat this” like it’s all got to be 100% planned out. I guess as adults we have to be more efficient with our time or something? ?‍♂️

• Burger 1

8 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I miss the blockbuster experience tbh? Going to the video store with whatever family I had, choosing a movie and committing to it. 

can totally relate to that. going to rent a movie was such an exciting experience as a kid. hell, even back in the pre-2010 days as a twenty something year old still renting dvd's, I still enjoyed the experience.

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

Which is weird considering that as an adult you should have a much more developed perception and therefore a greater ability to appreciate things and view them from more different angles.

Guess it's more about when you're a kid/young you're force-fed knowledge day in and day out.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:48 AM, cyanobacteria said:

i find it hard to separate childhood nostalgia from legitimate memories of eras.  i know that the child's brain interprets data differently.  you can experience this on psychedelics where you can see the world as if you're remembering a good memory from days long gone.  no two peoples memories of the era are the same. i remember reading once that as you age your brain forgets negative memories and remembers positive ones more, so the far past seems sweeter.

I moved around a lot so my childhood memories are (or least were) a lot more divided up and organized because we would be a different country every 2-3 years. Some memories and nostalgia is fairly constant - like toys and video games I played with, shows and movies I watched - but others are very, very different because my home, neighborhood, peers and teachers, etc. were completely different. My grandparent's houses were very much a "home base" and familiar for that reason. One of the few constants. The idea of growing up with the same people and in the same house for an entire childhood is strange to me, not as a concept but more like I can't quite imagine it.

Don't forget renting video games as well. It's more of a kid thing because as a kid you couldn't buy videogames.. but that feeling of going to the video store and renting a game that you could have for the weekend. fun times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yekker said:

Don't forget renting video games as well. It's more of a kid thing because as a kid you couldn't buy videogames.. but that feeling of going to the video store and renting a game that you could have for the weekend. fun times.

Gotta admit that Steam has been pretty convenient for building up my game library ever since Valve expanded the service to include third-party/non-proprietary titles. But nothing beats the thrill of getting one's sweaty little hands on a Super Metroid cartridge for rent back in 1994 when it was in such high demand that it was a matter of luck.

Oh yeah I recall being able to rent the game systems too.  Man, if that were still a thing I'd probably be doing it, even though I stopped playing video games quite some time ago.

At least libraries still exist.

I miss smelling my media.

1 hour ago, yekker said:

I rented an atari jaguar and it was ass.  

That alien first person shooter game looked so badass to me as a kid but I never got to play it. I don’t know about any other games for it though

14 hours ago, yekker said:

tfw you go to the videogame store to rent a 50 floppy disks game, get home, copy 50 floppy disks to yourself to get a game for free... and when the game didn't work on your computer, you'd just edit some random file in the game and get it back to the store claiming it didn't work and the problem definitely wasn't your computer...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, nikisoko said:

That alien first person shooter game looked so badass to me as a kid but I never got to play it. I don’t know about any other games for it though

Yeah, that game looked good. 

I rented this one, I dunno why. It was a puzzle game.

MV5BYTFlOTk2ZjYtMGY0MS00OTc4LWJjOGMtMjA0

Buying beer nowadays is a revelation. I remember the time when people used to get a ferry to France to buy a few cases of Stella Artois!!! Wow wtf. That doesn’t seem real does it, but it’s true. Now at a touch of a button I can recieve a veritable cornucopia of beer, in a million different styles from around the world. That’s pretty neat. Cheers Beer God ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Buying beer nowadays is a revelation. I remember the time when people used to get a ferry to France to buy a few cases of Stella Artois!!! Wow wtf. That doesn’t seem real does it, but it’s true. Now at a touch of a button I can recieve a veritable cornucopia of beer, in a million different styles from around the world. That’s pretty neat. Cheers Beer God ?

do you remember when the English would do a mad dash across the channel to get the first bottle after the Beaujolais harvest? I grew up in the UK back in the '80s, which was probably the height of this behavior. I remember hearing stories from my mother about this.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, ambermonke said:

I miss when music was better, but I'm glad that there's less pressure to make phone calls and engage in in-person social interaction these days

New music is still amazing, you're not looking in the right places.

2 hours ago, milkface said:

New music is still amazing, you're not looking in the right places.

As it so happens I found a new artist on Bandcamp last night. Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1