IGNORED

Pendant - To All Sides They Will Stretch Out Their Hands

species8472

well this is something to look forward to:

RECORDED 2018.
OUT ON VINYL + DIGITAL + TAPE SEPTEMBER 2021

A1 - Dream Song Of The Woman (11:11)
A2 - In The Great Night My Heart Will Go Out (12:08)
A3 - Formula To Attract Affections (6:59)
B1 - The Story Of My Ancestor The River (8:02)
B2 - The Poor Boy And The Mud Ponies (9:21)
B3 - Sometimes I Go About Pitying Myself While I Am Carried By The Wind Across The Sky (17:45)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A pleasant surprise comeback indeed. I remember reading a few months ago how fed up he was with "ambient", I wonder if that interview prompted him to dig out old sessions? (Nah, the turnaround times for vinyl would mean this was in the works way before.)

Along with the Topdown Dialectic, this September is shaping up pretty, pretty good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aencre said:

A pleasant surprise comeback indeed. I remember reading a few months ago how fed up he was with "ambient", I wonder if that interview prompted him to dig out old sessions? (Nah, the turnaround times for vinyl would mean this was in the works way before.)

Along with the Topdown Dialectic, this September is shaping up pretty, pretty good.

Interesting thing he said that he feels kind of responsible for ambient music becoming capitalist working, un-intrusive background music, like "beats to study to"... there are people who "listen" to ambient like that obviously, but I guess those people never heard Brian's ambient music, or any good ambient music for that case. For me good ambient music really augments a moment in life, and it usually evokes the feeling of being somewhere else than "here", but at the same time very much "here"... I don't know if that makes any sense, and I hope Brian will change his mind.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, aencre said:

I wonder if that interview prompted him to dig out old sessions?

from https://www.instagram.com/p/CS9lNZfAY6Y/

"I originally recorded these basically a week after the first Pendant album was completed and just sort of sat on them for ages, a bit unsure what to do with them. Indebted to Indigenous American dream songs & poetry, songs of memory & improvisation."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It does sound like it was made with the same studio setup as the 1st Pendant album but sounding much dirtier, spookier and ill at ease.

Thankfully theres no obvious native american cliches like wolf howls, but the mood is conjured up instead with muffled vocals, rattley percussion and a shadowy fug of field recordings and effects. Not to dissimilar to Zoviet France.

Seems like he wanted to get away from the idea of ambient as consumer musak and make something a little more difficult and less easy on the ear. 

15 hours ago, Key said:

Seems like he wanted to get away from the idea of ambient as consumer musak and make something a little more difficult and less easy on the ear. 

That 4th track really cuts the cord. I see that as very deliberate, like putting a watermark over a landscape painting.

Still, I'm enjoying this album very much.

• 1 month later...