sheatheman

...This is quickly encroaching on my favorite of Fall 2013 list. There are a good bunch for it to contend with, but as an Album, with a capital A, this seems through-composed, conceptual, bold, new, just right. Of course, I'm just going off of the track I've heard, the album artwork, and the album title. This type of release is my favorite thing.

huerco-colonial-patterns2.jpg

http://www.softwarelabel.net/release/colonial-patterns

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds so gooooooood.

When I stumbled upon Opal Tapes via 1991, Huerco S was the first on their label to immediately get my attention. He's done a couple remixes for other artists on that label as well. Looks like he's getting more and more attention.

This sounds so gooooooood.

When I stumbled upon Opal Tapes via 1991, Huerco S was the first on their label to immediately get my attention. He's done a couple remixes for other artists on that label as well. Looks like he's getting more and more attention.

Yeah, I love 1991. Just picked that one up too. Maybe you can answer a burning question I have about 1991: I could have SWORN that when I was listening to 1991:1991 in January, maybe the third song was this sort of tape warbled depeche mode sounding thing. I listened to the release on bandcamp then.

Fast forward 8 months and I have recently purchased the same album from emusic, but that depeche mode-sounding song is completely absent. ANY THOUGHTS?

But yes, Huerco S. is probably my favorite thing happening right now. I love finding out stuff through pdis_inpartmaint's soundcloud stream. it is so amazingly random.

The tune is 'open to the dark', looks like it was removed from the astro dynamics bandcamp as well.http://www.discogs.com/1991-1991/release/3911193

THANK YOU! The Cure, that's right. Must have been some copyright drones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7sPkzu5ic

meanwhile, mexicansummer is down.

The tune is 'open to the dark', looks like it was removed from the astro dynamics bandcamp as well.http://www.discogs.com/1991-1991/release/3911193

THANK YOU! The Cure, that's right. Must have been some copyright drones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7sPkzu5ic

meanwhile, mexicansummer is down.

Huh. It made it on the vinyl release though, according to discogs pics, and I was considering picking that up. A month or so ago Opal Tapes, where 1991 released his other album, had to pull an entire full-length of another artist for legal reasons. Removing digital copies for sale or legal streaming appears to be preemptive legal measure I suppose.

I seems it was the intro to 1991's work for many listeners:

I bought the 1991 LP on boomkat and I could swear OTTD was in the MP3 package I got. Seems The Cure got aware of that song and maybe put it on hold.

The Huerco S. is excellent dopey music. I was pretty happy with the Opal release, but never followed his more straight house music he seems to make from time to time. This albums relies a bit on the actual lo-fi wave, but in a clever way.

I bought the 1991 LP on boomkat and I could swear OTTD was in the MP3 package I got. Seems The Cure got aware of that song and maybe put it on hold.

The Huerco S. is excellent dopey music. I was pretty happy with the Opal release, but never followed his more straight house music he seems to make from time to time. This albums relies a bit on the actual lo-fi wave, but in a clever way.

what is the lofi wave?

This albums relies a bit on the actual lo-fi wave, but in a clever way.

what is the lofi wave?

Sorry, I make up some tags and terms myself sometimes- it's the lo-fi attitude of contemporary productions I meant, that came over the scene like a wave… :wink:

Yeah, to my ears it sounds like a defying mix of Actress and Novisad.

I just downloaded it — can't afford anything physical right now. $7 on emusic.

It's really good. Haven't made it all the way through, but what I have heard I love. Skug Commune is a standout, and Ragtime USA. Just on first listen that is. I like the whole thing.

I feel like this should be getting much more attention. It's so good. It's Hazyville for 2013.

Would WATMM call me a dummy if I said I liked this because it sounded similar to Actress?

it sounds like a defying mix of Actress and Novisad.

It's Hazyville for 2013.

:music:

This albums relies a bit on the actual lo-fi wave, but in a clever way.

what is the lofi wave?

Sorry, I make up some tags and terms myself sometimes- it's the lo-fi attitude of contemporary productions I meant, that came over the scene like a wave… :wink:

I suppose I hesitate to use lo-fi as a descriptor because people either associate it with mediocre indie rock and folk recorded on shit equipment or as a tag to make poorly recorded and mixed electronic music "legitimate."

But here it is a truly apt and positive aspect: tape saturation and manipulation, circuit bent and cheap synths and drum machines, experimental recording methods, obscure and interesting samples, clever arrangements. It's very organic and unpredictable. A lot of producers seem to be taking this approach and I find that very exciting. I really dig this sound and it's quite diverse - like the antithesis of slick EDM (trap, dubstep, house, etc) which often uses the same samples and presets.

I'm not sure about this one. On paper this should be my kind of album but I've just played it again and it seems so... unremarkable. Really surprised that anyone would rank it among their favorites of the year right now, guess it hasn't clicked with me what's so special about this.

I'm not sure about this one. On paper this should be my kind of album but I've just played it again and it seems so... unremarkable. Really surprised that anyone would rank it among their favorites of the year right now, guess it hasn't clicked with me what's so special about this.

I will say that, based on the previews, I had a different expectation for the album, but I still love it. Prinzif is a breakthrough track though. It is so promising. There are 2 or 3 tracks where he is triggering the same sample at different pitches (a fourth or a fifth apart) and letting it resolve continuously with minimal addition. Iinzhiid and Fortification III are examples. I have done the same thing and it makes me feel a littler urgency to see Huerco S. doing it on a release like this.

Archived