IGNORED

μ-Ziq - Magic Pony Ride

YangYing

Anyone else in the US order the vinyl from Bandcamp or Bleep? I'm assuming I'll probably get my copy by the end of next week but wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on it. Surprisingly, I was able to get the CD from my local indie on the day of release and they told me they'll have the Lunatic Harness 25 CD on release day too, though they won't have the Goodbye vinyl until the end of this month. It's cool that I can get these things faster through the US distributors, though I really do like directly supporting the artist(s). That and I'm lazy and don't want to drive a half hour and fight traffic to visit my favorite indie where I'm certain to spend more money I shouldn't be spending.

I also ordered the violet re-press of John Frusciante's Maya. That's a really solid album.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:59 PM, toaoaoad said:

Who the fuck still reads pitchfork?

Pitchfork is just a bunch of frustrated hipster english majors. Ignore.

Also, assigning numeric ratings to music is idiotic, especially fractional numeric ratings.

Edited by kuniklo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kuniklo said:

Pitchfork is just a bunch of frustrated hipster english majors. Ignore.

Also, assigning numeric ratings to music is idiotic, especially fractional numeric ratings.

I understand numeric ratings from the perspective of someone not familiar with the material needing a score they can base their decision off of, but this is part of why Pitchfork's reviews suck and why people miss the point when it comes to reviews. It's all about reading (or listening) to the review and seeing where the reviewer's thoughts land in relation to your own. Pitchfork treats everyone like an idiot they're talking down to though, especially with how they score albums up front. I've been saying for a long time that they're the internet-era equivalent of Rolling Stone, and they've been irrelevant for quite a long time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave3 said:

I understand numeric ratings from the perspective of someone not familiar with the material needing a score they can base their decision off of, but this is part of why Pitchfork's reviews suck and why people miss the point when it comes to reviews. It's all about reading (or listening) to the review and seeing where the reviewer's thoughts land in relation to your own. Pitchfork treats everyone like an idiot they're talking down to though, especially with how they score albums up front. I've been saying for a long time that they're the internet-era equivalent of Rolling Stone, and they've been irrelevant for quite a long time.

My policy is to ignore "critics" that have never created anything themselves and don't understand the creative process. Saves me a lot of time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also late to the party, but this is excellent. Someone said it earlier in the thread, but it really comes across as a heartfelt love letter to the 90's. And with how drenched we are in nostalgia bait remake culture, that's becoming an increasingly rarer and rarer thing to find these days. Nails the feel while still sounding new and fresh. Love it!

• Like 1

I never would have thought 5 years ago that I needed to go catch up on Mike's output, but here I am. It's been fun coming back to it and remembering why I loved it to begin with, it's pretty, fun, thoughtful, and relatively easy to listen to; it really scratches a particular itch that I forget is down in my mind at times.

Mike has done so much to shape my music tastes with both his output and his label, and with how I consume (the early Planet Mu online store was such a good platform for its time, it was unreal).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So I was listen to a new (for me) μ-Ziq album and this totally blew my mind! 

This album is so good! I would love the hear more of this sound