IGNORED

μ-Ziq - Magic Pony Ride

YangYing

12 hours ago, hayhook said:

From Discogs. (I don't have the 12" to verify/analyze differences between versions)

12":

A2   Hanky Pokery 5:25
B1   Jiggery Panky 5:39

CD:

2   Hanky Pokery 5:02
3   Jiggery Panky 5:22

I wonder if the difference in timing is just from someone timing it themselves or if it's printed somewhere on the vinyl.

Brown Chaos 

goddamn this takes me back so much

So stoked to hear this in full tomorrow - out now ofc but I have a little Canadian listening party prepped for tomorrow night lol

Maple Syrup party

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, hayhook said:

I'm not even gonna read what they thought as I pretty much ignore Pitchfork entirely. They're a bunch of opinionated jerks who think their farts smell like roses and only like music they get to claim they liked first.

• Like 2

• Rubin Farr changed the title to μ-Ziq - Magic Pony Ride
10 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

"though the abundance of middling moments across the tracklist makes you wonder why the funky Part 3 never made the cut." -

What is this "part 3" and where did the journalist hear it?

I love this album. So lush and carefree. I like that it embraces its nostalgia so confidently, it feels like a love letter to the past in a really genuine way.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 9:11 AM, hayhook said:

pitchfork doesn't love any idm music. aren't they the same one that was like "yeah 85-92 is the judge of everything to come after' or whatever.

• Like 2

Really like the beats on this thing so far. Not sure I'm sold on all the melody work yet, it sounds a bit cheesy. Then again, when has mu-ziq not sounded cheesy. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:49 AM, hayhook said:

From Discogs. (I don't have the 12" to verify/analyze differences between versions)

12":

A2   Hanky Pokery 5:25
B1   Jiggery Panky 5:39

CD:

2   Hanky Pokery 5:02
3   Jiggery Panky 5:22

Absolutely can't take track timings on Discogs seriously at all.

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

Then again, when has mu-ziq not sounded cheesy.

I was trying to insta-reply with a bunch of tracks from tango n'vectif. But before I'm going to shoot myself in my foot, what do you consider cheesy? If you think tango n'vectif is cheesy...Ueh... I've got nothing your honor.

200.gif

On 6/10/2022 at 7:11 PM, hayhook said:

pitchfork didn’t love it : /

(ummm and they’re wrong)

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/mu-ziq-magic-pony-ride/

Save for exceptions like Autechre, most of the folks deserving of a spot on IDM’s Mount Rushmore drop new material in infrequent bursts, often adhering to the glitchy palette of their early work. Like veteran jazz artists or jam bands, they work within their brain-tickling, technically proficient wheelhouse—they still churn out good stuff, but it’s functionally dad rock for lapsed ravers.

lol

It's funny because it's true.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

I was trying to insta-reply with a bunch of tracks from tango n'vectif. But before I'm going to shoot myself in my foot, what do you consider cheesy? If you think tango n'vectif is cheesy...Ueh... I've got nothing your honor.

200.gif

Mwah I don't know. I'm too lazy to look up specific tracks. I always find paradinas' melodies to be a bit cheesy, but I usually like them anyway

15 hours ago, zkom said:

lol

It's funny because it's true.

It's true, but it's true of just about everyone. There are always exceptions to the rules, but most artists stick to what they do and don't diverge very often. If they're gonna criticize IDM creators for doing the same old same old, they need to say the same for everyone else. It's pretty rare that someone comes along and does something completely unique that blows everyone away and then never tries to repeat that success. And anyway, we all listen to the artists we like because they do something unique unto themselves that other people don't, even if it's one main vein they stay in.

But to the point, Pitchfork sucks.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, thumbass said:

Really like the beats on this thing so far. Not sure I'm sold on all the melody work yet, it sounds a bit cheesy. Then again, when has mu-ziq not sounded cheesy. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

I'm the exact opposite, massively enjoying the classic mick p cheez vibe, the beats feel like filler but I've massively spoiled myself on that front by listening to a load of newish old dillinja tracks directly before this

• Like 1