IGNORED

Fever Ray - Radical Romantics

Poimandres

New Fever Ray album has been announced, releasing 10th March 2023 (too fucking far away). 

Well the first album was a masterpiece frankly. The second album rather underwhelming for me. But the two tracks out for this new album hit the spot, so I'm excited! 

Look up Carbon Dioxide especially if you're keen on Fever Ray/The Knife. Any fans here?

• Like 2

Yeah, great fan of the first album. I liked quite a few tracks on Plunge, but stopped listening after a messy live show and some intolerant statements by Karin in an interview I shouldn't have read. I'm curious about all the guest appearances on the new album: https://thequietus.com/articles/32332-fever-ray-new-album-details-radical-romantics

2 hours ago, eye said:

Yeah, great fan of the first album. I liked quite a few tracks on Plunge, but stopped listening after a messy live show and some intolerant statements by Karin in an interview I shouldn't have read. I'm curious about all the guest appearances on the new album: https://thequietus.com/articles/32332-fever-ray-new-album-details-radical-romantics

What were the intolerant statements, out of curiosity? 

The live show from the first tour was very impressive. A bunch of ornate lamps on the stage with a lot of fog. Felt like I was on the boat from the original mortal kombat movie.

2 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

What were the intolerant statements, out of curiosity? 

I've been looking for the article, but I can't find it anymore. iirc, she said she wished (cis)men wouldn't listen to her music and come to her shows, and that her lyrics are strictly queer business now. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4

49 minutes ago, eye said:

I've been looking for the article, but I can't find it anymore. iirc, she said she wished (cis)men wouldn't listen to her music and come to her shows, and that her lyrics are strictly queer business now. 

Both of these touch on similar topics. 

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/fever-ray-karin-dreijer-plunge

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/fever-ray-there-is-a-lot-of-work-to-do-within-metoo-to-include-everybody-1.3418263

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eye said:

image.gif.c8e152d90bbcabd0c8f07d49c5cf7504.gif

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, species8472 said:

first album was cool. that was a long time ago.

knife/fever ray are overrated. and the associated imagery and aesthetic these day is just plain ugly. 

I find the music better than Bjork honestly, and she gets far more attention. 

Any other recommendations for similar stuff? I'm a big fan of Aisha Devi, Katie Gately, Abyss X is pretty good. 

Follower of both.

I like the first fever ray album and also the early works of the knife, silent shout is one of their best releases. Didn't catch me up the new song but I'm sure that new album will be nice.

Karin's voice is similar to Bjork but I prefer the Swedish one, I think her brother Olof produces some of the stuff. You can see them in this live some years ago:

Edited by Diurn

23 hours ago, Poimandres said:

I find the music better than Bjork honestly, and she gets far more attention. 

Any other recommendations for similar stuff? I'm a big fan of Aisha Devi, Katie Gately, Abyss X is pretty good. 

Going down similar avenues are artists like Lolina, Smerz, Jenny Hval, Pan Daijing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2022 at 5:05 PM, Poimandres said:

I find the music better than Bjork honestly

first album is possibly better than anything post-volta but come on, let's be serious here. it's ok to be wrong

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dr lopez said:

first album is possibly better than anything post-volta but come on, let's be serious here. it's ok to be wrong

You mean post Vespertine right? As in better than anything she's done in the last 20 years? 

• Facepalm 1

The whole discussion is pointless imo. They're both female and make good electronic music with vocals that isn't all that similar. Looking forward to this album, I like her stuff, not really bothered by the politics unless she goes full terf/nazi/ultraconservative. Girl power yay smash the patriarchy 

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1

12 hours ago, Poimandres said:

You mean post Vespertine right? As in better than anything she's done in the last 20 years? 

karin dreijer has not and will not ever make anything as beautiful and powerful as vespertine. there are some things in this world that are simply untouchable. 

• Like 3
  • Big Brain 2

3 hours ago, dr lopez said:

karin dreijer has not and will not ever make anything as beautiful and powerful as vespertine. there are some things in this world that are simply untouchable. 

Amen to that man!

I appreciate Fever Ray and am excited to hear the album, but March? Godamn! I understand marketing and planning it but that's a hell of a preliminary announcement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Amen to that man!

I appreciate Fever Ray and am excited to hear the album, but March? Godamn! I understand marketing and planning it but that's a hell of a preliminary announcement. 

The march release especially sucks because the previous album was basically announced and released immediately after. I hate long teased album releases. Just give it to us already!

Yes, its very annoying... although it makes sense when trying to get people's attention on newsfeeds. albums drop and are forgotten two days later. 

The first album felt so original. I definitely over listened to it. The 2nd one was interesting but felt a bit like reheated leftovers of Silent Shout in a weird way? 

• Like 1

I'm very excited for this album. The first Fever Ray is an all-time favorite of mine. Plunge definitely didn't hit me nearly as hard but that was partially a consequence of my own personal expectations. I will always be down to listen to anything they do. I love the first two singles from Radical Romantics. It sounds like their brother Olof worked on a lot of the production on this album. Karen said a few years ago that they were working on music with Olof again so this could be the result of that.
I don't care that if it comes out in March, I'm just glad it's happening. I'll probably catch the US tour.

• 3 months later...

This is out today. Does nothing for me on first listen.
I thought the slow spookiness of the first album felt very unique and distinct from The Knife. This feels like worse callbacks with diminishing returns.
A bit harsh atm, but will give it a few more listens. 

• Like 1