IGNORED

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

cern

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

• Yes of course, freaking love it all give me it already!
    • Yes sure, but could have been a little bit longer or more tracks!
    • Yes, but I was expecting an Album or something bigger and not a EP only!
    • No, it feels lame with all QR-campaigns for only a short EP!
    • No, After waiting many years Im so disappointed at this release!
    • I don't even care about this Aphex Twin Dude!

I've come to expect fuck all from life RDJ; I just feel grateful for any gift bestowed upon me.

(Meant to squeeze that in a haiku, cba though.)

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 5:01 AM, scumtron said:

A bit underwhelmed tbh. A lot of fuzz and marketing tricks for a 14 min single/ep. The released track is nice, but with all the fuzz, you would expect more, right? Especially with all the youtube vids with suspected unreleased material. This kind of marketing makes sense for "comebacks"  like Syro and Tomorrows Harvest, but this?

Naturally, people speculate about this being the single from an album, but I guess the Aphex-momentum is NOW. So if Warp doesn't announce more before the weekend, we're probably stuck with this release. I mean, the blimp and the Tor-link wasn't marketing for the minipops-single. 

Of course, WARPs PR-department may have some tricks in their sleeve if there really is an album on it's way, but for now, the whole thing feels kinda meagre.

Not my favorite, but not at all underwhelming to my ears. Those perfectly timed rhythm changes and the luxurious vocal patches have me hooked. The "pahhh" sounds remind me of (mold), same thing with that one track on the Collapse EP. I like it because it sounds really neat. 

Edited by nature
  • Like 3

I'm giving Blackbox a lot of play still. I think I've said this before, but the more you play it, the more you appreciate its brilliance (well for me anyway). 

• Like 2

I think its a slightly more low key lead-off single than Minipops or Collapse but still clearly top draw stuff that he has spent a bit of time over and is pretty well fleshed out in detail/production chops compared to some of the more obtuse head scratchy stuff he sometimes puts out. I am enjoying the slightly darker SAWII-esque tinge to the mood and am pretty psyched up for the full thing.

That said if this one short EP is all we're getting before another 5~ years long hiatus, I might be a little bummed out, but I hope he's got at least another couple in the pipeline.

• Like 6

Yes, really looking forward to the whole thing. Yes, great vibe!

I'm also hoping there's more to come! Something tells me a couple of EP's and possibly an album. I really hope so! Between the Collapse EP and now, he must have enough to do all of the above!

• Like 1

is there a frown-slight frown-nuetral-slight smile-smile-rdj cover grin button to push to show our emotion?

• Haha 2

I'm very happy, track is amazon, so I'll just post what I don't like/could live without it...

@1m20s the extra roland beats that come in, specially that over compressed snare on the right channel really bugs me off...

anyway melodie/harmony wise the track gets so sick at this time that I couldn't care less about those tiny itches...

@2m50s I don't think I'll ever get used to this melody line... soz... pls do one of those 23th58mdma reworks and remove this melodie Richie...

the rest is immense!!!

great to have 2 distinct parts, one kinda mellow and another kinda dark... the transition between them is also pretty neat...

happy now?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

I'm very happy, track is amazon, so I'll just post what I don't like/could live without it...

@1m20s the extra roland beats that come in, specially that over compressed snare on the right channel really bugs me off...

anyway melodie/harmony wise the track gets so sick at this time that I couldn't care less about those tiny itches...

@2m50s I don't think I'll ever get used to this melody line... soz... pls do one of those 23th58mdma reworks and remove this melodie Richie...

the rest is immense!!!

great to have 2 distinct parts, one kinda mellow and another kinda dark... the transition between them is also pretty neat...

happy now?

Yep I hear it also.. I don't mind about the snare being compressed whatever but panning it totally to the right channel is very odd and kinda annoying. 

The Melody line there at 2.50 is just okey.. It gives a feeling of "Relax now..Everything is gonna be Ok, we are going to be still to the end of the ride"
Which sound he chooses for the melody can always be discussed ofc. Is it the sound or more the melody you don't like? 

I find it beautifully sculpted with its ambient sound -but musically there is just a anxiety inducing dark dread. At first I felt it was a pleasant meditation but I can't listen to it with any enjoyment now ?

is blackbox life recorder 21 f ep totally happy with the different types of listeners so far?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cern said:

Yep I hear it also.. I don't mind about the snare being compressed whatever but panning it totally to the right channel is very odd and kinda annoying. 

NGL I love this kind of pannin and wish people would do it more.  The weird, early stereo mixes from 1966-68 are full of this kind of stuff and they're some of the most interesting mixes out there, even when the music is forgettable.

Entire drum kit hard left, bass hard right, yes please.

• Like 1

The blackbox track sounds like this often dream that i have. 

i'm at a festival/concert and everyone i know is there. The place seems familiar but it's not and there is a strong sense of impending doom and then some crazy stuff happens.  Mostly i end up freezing in panic, shattering my teeth in the dream. When i wake up that fucked up feeling lingers for a few days.

Had to play the track this morning and it felt like i was still in the dream ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/3/2023 at 12:19 AM, nature said:

(i tune my monitors to minipops, its mastering is impeccable.)

Minipops... really  pops on nice monitors. But I like the collapse EP mastering I try to use them as reference tracks.

• Like 2

6music pretty good tbf. Though I can’t stand Laverne. Every time MAH plays a new Aphex Twin track (pretty sure she gets them first before any other DJ) she tells the story of waiting over 25 years for a Breezeblock Mix he promised her. Apparently he sent her a work of art instead which would of taken him much longer to put together than a mix. I miss those myths about him, there use to be loads back in the day. I wonder if anyone on watmm has seen a picture of this work of art?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 3