IGNORED

Hyped for this

Sam

lol indeed. Come to think of it, a film about Autechre will probably never happen. Not enough drama in there it seems to me. No rock stars, no allures, Just two sound blokes maxing it in their home studios.

Edited by BlockUser

1 hour ago, BlockUser said:

lol indeed. Come to think of it, a film about Autechre will probably never happen. Not enough drama in there it seems to me. No rock stars, no allures, Just two sound blokes maxing it in their home studios.

waits for @Alcofribas to enter the thread & prove this statement wrong with a dramatic re-telling of some moment/s in AE

this halloween

three travelers are forced into a sound deprivation chamber

losing their mind, they start screaming into the ether

PLEASE GIVE US SOUND

a grin is seen in a dark room

quiet at first, then increasing in volume and intensity

ClnChr.....

screams pierce the walls and gravitate outward into the empty graveyard under which this chamber is located

this halloween, experience the sonic fright of a lifetime

Edited by zlemflolia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i first met rob at through our mutual friend "sean booth." they were both into tagging or the italian art of spray paint draughtsmanship. i was not. but nevertheless we met through our mutual friend brad pitt who was then staring in a film or, in hollywoodese, "a movie." actually it was brad who first came up with the idea of making music. but that's another story. sean and brad used to bike over to my house and ask me questions about electro and egyptian lover and mantronix. i had all the records and used to do pause button edits where i would press pause and "edit" (speak) to them about music, explaining how it works. brad suggested to sean he get into this kind of thing (this is the story i mentioned earlier) and sean just stared kinda aggressively, smoking a cigarette and then storming off with my beloved juno 106, roland r8, mc202 (the "micro composer" was my nickname at the time), 606, 808 and then came back for the korg ms20 about 45 mins later. the entire time i stood there stunned, not moving. how could he do this? brad laughed and made an international call to dave fincher. ironically, it was while robbing me that rob showed up. he was looking for some kind of architectural facade to admire on the street and bumped into sean, sending my beloved pieces scattering across the pavement. he bent down to pick them up (i'm inside stunned but i can see this through the open front door of my "semi-detached" which is a british thing which i know as i am actually british, a "lad" so to speak). rob was like "woahh sick what is all this." sean was mad bc at that time he didn't really know, he hadn't really used them. so he said they were devices for architecture. rob had to learn more so he offered to give him a ride to sheffield. what sean didn't know is that rob didn't own a car or even have a license, he only rode around on bmx bikes. panicking, rob glanced around and saw through my front door - car keys! so he grabbed them and stole my car. the two drove off and composed "lego feet" and "incoonaboola" on the spot. they were naturals. even i can admit that, now that the wounds are healed.

i next saw them via our mutual friend richard "afx, caustic window, bradley strider, aphex twin, polygon window, analord, hangable audio bulb, the dice man cometh, d" james. rdj had just stolen some dats from luke vibert, or maybe it was the other way around. in any case lots of thievery during this era. this is a british thing, chavs. he stopped by my place and asked me to hide the tapes, which i did. years later, he turned up laughing about how the post man had come to pick up a remix from him for blur or beck or bowie and he'd just given them a random dat of his various studio experiments. this reminded him of those tapes i hid for him. "you still have those?" he asked. we set off to the woods where i buried them and it was there we met sean and rob who were now "the brothers." i don't understand that. "the 'chre" richard said. sean and i locked eyes but by this time they'd moved on to impressive midi and nord music and i was so in awe of this i didn't dare mention all that gear. rob was doing mountain bike stuff in the woods, sean was just admiring birds and twigs and such. richard pulled out the hidden tapes and we played them on his portable dat. they sounded "fucked up" which inspired the brothers who then made their music more fucked up sounding. sort of like a "what's going on here" effect the first several times you hear it. i kinda feel i inspired that quality and this is another way i am sort of like a third "brother" of the group "autechre." the band. 

subsequently, i never heard from the lads for many years and was it not for their regular appearances in the media and constant releases of albums and live material, i might've supposed they were dead. one day i was in a cafe in london using max/msp to make beats do kind of like a skipping around thing, basically like triplets or something. sean heard about this from the barista and he later phoned me on the "telly" (sp?) to inquire about this. i sent him a zip of "max" and to this day both he and rob use this. again, it's like i am a brother, one of the main characters of the duo. recently i caught up with them at the "barbicon" which is a convention for barbeque enthusiasts. as i was admiring the specs of some sauce a familiar voice with a distinctly "mancunian" accent arose behind me. i turned to see sean. there were tears in his eyes, his cheeks were moist. i thought this must be it, sean is going to apologize for stealing all that vintage classic gear. my heart was racing and already i forgave him. i soon realize, however, that he was just eating some very spicy bbq wings (it was then i noticed the sauce stains on his chin dripping onto his cycling 74 t-shirt) and after wiping his hands on his jeans he began speaking to the sauce master just behind me. i realized he didn't recognize me at all, didn't even see me. i left them engaged in a discussion on the merits of ghost peppers. this was the last time i saw either of the brothers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 3
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

12 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

in any case lots of thievery during this era. this is a british thing, chavs.

irl lol

post best read whilst listening to Bike btw. the nostalgia, the pathos, the bittersweetness of the recollection is amplified a hundredfold.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

On 10/22/2023 at 7:56 PM, BlockUser said:

Lav Diaz was working on that 8 hour sequence plan, "mixing all end", right?