IGNORED

Ableton Live 12

auxien

19 hours ago, TheBro said:

I'm not upgrading for me it's like buying it new which isn't really fair. I bought 11 a few years ago. I dunno man fair play to Ableton for having a leading product but I just think they're too greedy a very good example being Push 3 which is for me an incomplete useless product lol and very overpriced.

In what ways is it incomplete or useless?

Aye I wish I had a P3, even though I've got a v2 fully working (and now fully isopropyl alcohol rub downed after the horrible plastic/rubber decomposition) I lust for the MPE, big chonky jog wheel and the power of using it standalone.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

That's superb - Was trying to look for where to get it and how much it'd cost and didn't realise it's gonna be included with A12 ....

there's already a couple free M4L devices that fit the new format where they show up in the clip editor to do midi stuff. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cern said:

So any news when it is gonna be released? I mean "Early in this year" can be Mars-April right? 

I normally go by the release notes ( https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-12-beta/ ) - the smaller the bugfix list the closer it is to arrival. At the moment the list is still quite long so I think we're still about a month or three off the final build

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 1:47 PM, Silent Member said:

I'll sell you a copy for 50 squid!

I think you're called Silent Member for a reason. Be wise to keep it that way. 😉

• Like 1

They've done an Ableton 12 demo set for the new beta released a couple of days ago which normally is created close to release so I'm thinking the full release might be early next month (maybe?!)

• Like 3

For what it's worth, Sound On Sound have published their Feb edition and they have featured a full review of Ableton Live 12, making no mention of it still awaiting proper release

• 2 weeks later...

i half watch the Ableton forum and there’s been a bit more people added into the beta, seems to be opening up, and a steady clip of updated stuff for 12, 12 w/ Push Standalone, etc. 

Meld is bi-timbral, meaning its distinct engines can produce, sculpt and combine two complete sounds without being tied to the amplitude and filter envelopes of one system. Of course, you can choose to combine the basic wave shapes you’d expect to find on pretty much every other synth, but Meld also allows you to start with sounds that would usually be the end result of another technique.

nice write up on Meld here with some cool audio clips: https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/meld-a-look-at-live-12s-new-bi-timbral-synth/

• 2 weeks later...

Good news: Live 12 is coming soon. We'll send you an email on March 5th with all information for download.

Until then, we wish you a good time with Live 11 - and if you want, watch Take a look at what awaits you with the new version.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I hope they make the migration as convenient as possible. I'm lazy, and not particularly interested in configuring my "studio" setup again.

The only thing you'll need to do is get adjusted to the new filter and tagging system.

spacer.png

Everything else will just seamlessly migrate. I've been running the beta for the last week or so

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

I hope they make the migration as convenient as possible. I'm lazy, and not particularly interested in configuring my "studio" setup again.

When I've moved from previous versions (8->9->10->11 over the last however many years it was) all I'd do is run the new install and it'd ask if I wanted to overwrite the previous install or create a second install. Just hit overwrite and .... that was it !

@oscillik - Is the tagging system manual or does it use some kind of sound recognition (or online/downloadable database file) to tag things ? Over the past 10 or so years my VST/i collection has become a little unweildy so it's be great if I could just click on filters like 'synth -> physical modelling', 'compressor->tube', 'distortion->waveshaper' or something like that !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Is the tagging system manual or does it use some kind of sound recognition (or online/downloadable database file) to tag things ? Over the past 10 or so years my VST/i collection has become a little unweildy so it's be great if I could just click on filters like 'synth -> physical modelling', 'compressor->tube', 'distortion->waveshaper' or something like that !

I've not played around with it too much yet to be honest, only really mention it because people seem to be losing their minds over the fact that plugins aren't arranged by expandable trees sorted by plugin developer. Not really sure why they can't get their heads around how it works now (you just click on the name of the dev in the tags instead of the triangle that was there previously).

Just had a quick go of it with my sample collection, and it seems to do some tagging itself. No idea how it figures it out though.

As for plugin organisation, here's a quick little gif
spacer.png

• Thanks 1

^i'm not sure about that tagging system, it looks like it can be ignored tho.

in case any other existing users were curious, i've got Live 11 Suite, looks like the 20% discount applies to upgrades before the 12 release on March 5:

Screenshot2024-02-21at7_09_11AM.thumb.png.1b617717427793f7cf40650b40c35e9f.png

14 minutes ago, auxien said:

i'm not sure about that tagging system, it looks like it can be ignored tho

You can ignore it, but you'll either be typing to find the plugin you're after, or scrolling a lot if you have as many plugins as I do

53 minutes ago, oscillik said:

You can ignore it, but you'll either be typing to find the plugin you're after, or scrolling a lot if you have as many plugins as I do

good to know, i have less than 10 plugins that i use, just having them dropped in a single folder is fine for me. i’m sure it’s a help for the many plug in lovers out there.

i’m more thinking about it for samples, i don’t have a horde of them but i’ve got a few folders worth collected (more like ‘samples i haven’t lost yet’) over the last ~20 years that i’d rather just access in their folders & search by text when necessary…for the crowds with hundreds of sample collections i’m sure the tagging/autosorting will be a help…as long as i can not use that and Ableton doesn’t try and restructure my files i’ll be fine.

will probably be turning off auto-update before 12 drops tho, just so i can wait until any final release day bugs are sorted in those first few weeks. in the past they’ve had problems shipping a major updates with issues/bugs/incomplete implementation.

23 hours ago, cern said:

I wish they could give us users more freedom of making custom themes like in Renoise

There's 25k of the buggers here if you want a change 😄 - https://www.livethemes.co/browse/all/all/newest/1

And an online editor (though you need to register) if there's not anything there you like - https://www.livethemes.co/editor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcbpete said:

And an online editor (though you need to register) if there's not anything there you like

Only problem is that these themes and the online editor were made for Live 10, and haven't even been updated for Live 11. I doubt it'll be updated for Live 12 either.

It does cause some inconsistencies with interface widgets, especially in Live 12

• 2 weeks later...