IGNORED

Ableton Live 12

auxien

What’s unique in this update is how much is there to play with. It’s not just about a random selection of features, or some handful of new devices. The focus on Transformations, Generators, Keys, Scales, Tuning Systems, and then tools like the new Performance Pack means you can explore composing and performing with Live in new ways.

1_Ableton-Live-12-1-2048x1260.png

https://cdm.link/2023/11/ableton-live-12-everything-new/

looks to be a significant update to workflow/UI as well as MIDI generation and manipulation, some nice new bits of effects, new Granulator...

Edited by auxien
  • Like 5
  • Burger 1

Ned Rush did a little tour through 12’s new stuff, and somehow managed to keep a 1.5+ hr stream relatively interesting. some cool things in there the expanded complexity of workflow options, things built into clips, etc., all looking pretty interesting for me since i’m into those sorta weirdo MIDI generative/manipulative things. 

On 11/14/2023 at 7:39 AM, auxien said:

looks to be a significant update to workflow/UI as well as MIDI generation and manipulation, some nice new bits of effects, new Granulator...

The new midi tools look really fun, also glad they have a global parameter for selecting scales/keys (it is a small thing, but super annoying to have to do this for each new midi track when doing harmonic or melodic stuff in piano roll). Does anyone know how much it will cost if you already have Live 11 ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DavieAddison said:

It's $183 to pre-order if you have 11 Suite.

and after the pre-order it's $229

if you do the pre-order they don't charge your card until it ships.. which will be in 2024

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

Using this as an excuse to post this hilarious Ableton 10 shred (watch with sound on)

So many of the the sound choices to fit the visuals are spot on, this is a masterpiece

Edited by zazen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@d-a-m-o :catsalute:

@cern anything specific in mind ?

It can get pretty deep if you combine the new Generate / Transform options, multi-clip sequencing across various MIDI tracks, all sorts of note filtering / re-routing with Racks, clever usage of Follow Actions (at clip and scene levels), note chance, velocity deviation, the updated MIDI Fx in creative (or brutally utilitarian) ways... and treat everything as raw data before it hits the Drum Rack. Note that I'm not even mentioning M4L.

Still, Push's mapping for the drum rack + capture is the most immediate way to sequence drums IMO. Or anything really, Capture is a killer feature.

Ps: I opted for something accessible in the video rather than going full computer music. You can definitely push the envelope with the new options though.

Ps2: I think that the countless, subtle refinements Live brings with each major update is the main appeal. I've had 12 for a little while now and it's super pleasant to use. I keep on finding updated details that make me smile 🙂

Edited by Nil
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, d-a-m-o said:

:catrecline:

so i've been doing similar stuff with MIDI for drums for a bit, curious to see how this update is going to change that flow (previously doing stuff like this in both Ableton and via Squarp Hapax). but the workflow for those transform options with the melodies is going to be lovely and really interesting. upping the 'happy accidents' but also just the 'i want to do ____ and now this tool can quickly and easily achieve that'

great overview of some realistic uses for those tools. good stuff Nil!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@auxien you’ll lovr the new options, impatient to hear new tsrono material using these.

Another top addition is the Scale awareness feature, for MIDI clips and MIDI Fx as well (Meld also offers compatibility here). No need to use the Scale MIDI FX as a safety net any longer if using a chain of MIDI fx in a generative fashion. Just dropping it here, you can now fully embrace how Scale can act as a weighted probability driven transposer when combined to Random, and/or as a note chance utility. All the MIDI effects are rejuvenated by that Scale awareness.

I dove deep into Live’s native generative abilities for a class I teach, and it has gotten a lot more interesting with 12. It’s also worth noting that when going down that rabbit hole, you can feel the initial influence of Max on Live.

Edited by Nil
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

great exploration of the new effect, Roar. it seems to be an extension of the current effect Saturator, or incorporates it at least...Saturator can already add a lot, but it looks like Roar is ramping that idea up exponentially.

Ned Rush did another livesteam just goofing off with a few things, gets pretty interesting at times.

Edited by auxien

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go! After sitting with the Intro version for years.. 
What grabbed my attention was:  "Free upgrade to Live 12, You save 20%

If I would wait it had been like $399 For Live 12 Standard or something maybe even higher? 
Why not Suite? I don't need extra sample library and I can get Max For Live  at reduced price now as I own the Max License.
It will be much cheaper than buying the whole Suite. 

I still hope they not will apply too many new functions and stuff on the 12. 
image.thumb.png.a127e413c6d3871b6d14f8272c6d9e8c.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not upgrading for me it's like buying it new which isn't really fair. I bought 11 a few years ago. I dunno man fair play to Ableton for having a leading product but I just think they're too greedy a very good example being Push 3 which is for me an incomplete useless product lol and very overpriced.

On 12/13/2023 at 2:20 PM, cern said:

Here we go! After sitting with the Intro version for years.. 
What grabbed my attention was:  "Free upgrade to Live 12, You save 20%

If I would wait it had been like $399 For Live 12 Standard or something maybe even higher? 
Why not Suite? I don't need extra sample library and I can get Max For Live  at reduced price now as I own the Max License.
It will be much cheaper than buying the whole Suite. 

I still hope they not will apply too many new functions and stuff on the 12. 
image.thumb.png.a127e413c6d3871b6d14f8272c6d9e8c.png

Good luck 🙏— I still use a pirated Live 11... Hopefully, someday, will buy it too.

Edited by logakght

12 hours ago, TheBro said:

I'm not upgrading for me it's like buying it new which isn't really fair. I bought 11 a few years ago. 

Definitely not the case here - £539 if I grabbed v12 Suite new but £143 for my v11 to v12 crossgrade

• Like 1

I'll sell you a copy for 50 squid!

11 minutes ago, ignatius said:

That's superb - Was trying to look for where to get it and how much it'd cost and didn't realise it's gonna be included with A12 ....

• Like 1