IGNORED

Select Ambient Works II Expanded Edition

ZoeB

On 10/5/2024 at 4:18 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

Definitely SOSW. That might be my favorite LP of his. Such deep vibes. 
I snagged one of the chrome tapes but it is also in NC shipping limbo (Burlington… doesn’t look like it was devastated, actually). The order was “dispatched” on October 1st but it is currently “Awaiting Item”, whatever that means. :shrug:

On 10/5/2024 at 4:06 PM, MisterE said:

wish i could've got one of the chrome tape sets, but i think ill be happy with the ferrics

this album seems perfect for the format. and for me its a pretty special one, i rarely play it. not because it's bad, but because it's really good but also long and quite the task to take it all in in one go. i also like keeping it special

anyway, i'm not complaining, but how cool would it have been if we ever got the SAW 2.5 or SAW 3 or etc from the soundcloud tracks, nicely remastered and put on tape/vinyl/cd? kind of looks like that's never going to happen at this point.

anyway, if they do more of these re-releases, i hope surfing on sine waves is next..

Were chrome versions available to early birds, or something?

1 hour ago, kausto said:

Otherwise you can do another Oval - Systemisch with it

Who knows, maybe my rhubarb orc [scrath_d rmx v0.685] will be the best shit afx has ever heard!

On a serious note, i tested it out, although the scratches haven't damaged the playback yet it seems like everytime i take the last cd out it scratches at least a little bit which really sucks. Makes me scared to ever take it out of the sleeve.

1 hour ago, whosebrian said:

Were chrome versions available to early birds, or something?

just those that got the emails from the mailing list first. you can't rely on them as though they're all equal; there's numerous flaws with how they can be run, operate, succeed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

does this look like Ai art?

IMG_3206.jpeg

Not AI art, just CGI generated (the dirt/floor texture is pretty Minecraft-y when viewed at full res)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

does this look like Ai art?

IMG_3206.jpeg

breaking news: local photoshop user took an AI prompted image and worked it into their own picture, rather than taking the hit-retry-until-it-looks-right approach like everyone else. experts are baffled. story at 11.

• Haha 2

Nah, none of that image is AI.
Looks like a press/stock photo of the Tate basement with a comp of the aphex logo on a "gritty" texture, perspective-warped in PS onto the floor.

Got my Vinyl today, was sad to realize it's not a gate-fold like the original. Maybe it saves some trees, but the included poster doesn't quite feel the same. (Also the way they re-did the pics to fit the new discs isn't as cool!)
Was kinda hoping for a brand-new mirror copy of the original for the "here's the same thing 30 years apart" effect.
Maybe I should actually listen to it before judging though...

Edited by Hodorsbn

It's been a long time since I listened to the whole album and this has massively heightened my appreciation for it.

I actually prefer how sime of the discs are split, especially the one with Stone in Focus.

I used to find the darker tracks boring and cheesy but I actually find them scarier as I get older, especially in the first half of the album.

I also find the balance of light and dark more equal, it used to feel to me like there was too much dark drone stuff.

After listening too much to algorithmically generated ambient playlists, this reminds me that ambient can be varied and powerful.

I'm feeling kind of obsessed with it at the moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, d-a-m-o said:

Just received my 4LP, am I the only one with no DL card ?

have you checked the releases in your account? The download option might be automagically added to your account. So you wouldn't need a dl card. Assuming you bought your copy online, that is.

On 10/9/2024 at 6:39 PM, Satans Little Helper said:

have you checked the releases in your account? The download option might be automagically added to your account. So you wouldn't need a dl card. Assuming you bought your copy online, that is.

Sadly I bought from a german shop to avoid :

a) Blerp crazy shipping cost

b) Brexit taxes

so, no DL card in a 60 euros release, but I have AFX stickers, thanks blerp werp you're the best.

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Sad 2

On 7/25/2024 at 8:51 PM, mushroom said:

yeah. magnetic tape slowly deteriorates even if you're not using it

This tends to be wildly exaggerated due to people flinging tapes around their teenage bedrooms and hot dusty cars. Keep your heads clean and keep cassettes rewound and in their cases when not playing them for a lifetime of listening pleasure!

Missing pie chart on the CD: IMG_20241010_1010035722.thumb.jpg.834c6febba408efd184a158b682d648e.jpg

Spoiler

Edited by FEF
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 1:47 AM, d-a-m-o said:

Just received my 4LP, am I the only one with no DL card ?

many labels (warp included sadly) no longer include DL cards because they want you to stream the album instead, given the majority of vinyl purchasers have some form of streaming subscription. a bit sad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shelly said:

many labels (warp included sadly) no longer include DL cards because they want you to stream the album instead, given the majority of vinyl purchasers have some form of streaming subscription. a bit sad.

well that's simply not true. i own 3 of warp's records from this year and they have all included DL cards.

most labels don't seem to offer it, but i think the ones that always have, still do.

What annoys me a bit lately is that I'm checking out new music through Qobuz, then decide to buy the digitals from bandcamp/bleep/the artists' own webstores, only to find out that you're only getting 16bit files when buying, whereas the 24bit versions are on Qobuz for streaming. Bandcamp mostly does 16bit, bleep only offers 24bit wavs and not flacs. Not that there's any noticable difference, but when I'm paying full price, I'm at least expecting to get the highest quality available at that time as a download instead of having to go on soulseek.

Edited by eye
  • Like 2

My CDs and cassettes finally arrived today - was kicking myself for not choosing tracked shipping but it's all good 😊 

• Like 1