IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Relocated from the cupboard to the bed

f563ef063c.jpg

I think I want to hear what sort of music you make with all that. 

What's the black plastic jobbie on the top right? Guessing some sort of '90s drum machine?

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tg33.php

That little thing sounds great from the write up. Looking up videos of it now :)

this one's great

Yes. Fucking hell this thing is giving me GAS and I haven't had that in months. This might be the next purchase I make, it's so fucking clean and weird and dirty and sounds unique as shit. I've watched at least 10 demos/videos...programming seems a bit twitchy but that's not surprising, and doesn't seem too bad once you get the hang of it. Definitely looking more into it and what exactly vector synthesis even is because I've not a clue.

Vector synthesis isn't quite as IDM as the name suggests; it's just a fancy name for being able to crossfade between 4 different sounds, and also record/program automated crossfades (which is admittedly pretty great). The SY22/TG33 is *great* for pads/new age cheese though.

Vector synthesis isn't quite as IDM as the name suggests; it's just a fancy name for being able to crossfade between 4 different sounds, and also record/program automated crossfades (which is admittedly pretty great). The SY22/TG33 is *great* for pads/new age cheese though.

Yeah I got sad when I found out vector just means turning the joystick lol. But still does FM so that's great.

The pads and new age sounds are pretty sweet out of it, but I'm falling in love with the thick distorted basses and crunchy melodic shit I'm hearing. Lots of great sounds possible in this thing. Not as unique as my first impressions, but it could still be worth the investment down the road. 

Yeah, I need to play with my SY22 a bit more. I picked it up for $50 a few months ago because it had several broken keys and a busted line out (headphone out works though). I ordered replacement keys but still haven't got around to replacing them yet. And I have no idea what's wrong with the line out. I'm starting to learn electronics again though, so perhaps I'll be able to diagnose and repair it someday.. even to re-sell.

Aw man, TG33 ticks all of my masochistic late '80s/early '90s plastic buttons

Speaking of which I just bought one of these pieces of shit off eBay:

boss-ds-330-dr-synth-1179694.jpg

Think I'm developing a bit of a thing for really shite gear; wasn't expensive fortunately.

Looks like a Boss DR-series drummo but is in fact a 'synth'. Early '90s MIDI sound module, can't find much info about it except that it has the same sound engine as the Roland SC-55 which only really seems to be used by DOS game nerds for playing back MIDI files. Could only find a couple of videos of actual compositions done with one using it as a synth rather than a playback device. Partly bought it because of the mystery, reckon I should be able to make some interesting stuff after a bit of menu-diving though. 

Kind of know it's going to be gash but for pocket money I reckon it'll be a laugh, might try and make an ambient black metal album using just this, or something.

Edit: felt the need to go back and put quotation marks around the word 'synth'

Edited by Leon Sumbitches

Yeah, I need to play with my SY22 a bit more. I picked it up for $50 a few months ago because it had several broken keys and a busted line out (headphone out works though). I ordered replacement keys but still haven't got around to replacing them yet. And I have no idea what's wrong with the line out. I'm starting to learn electronics again though, so perhaps I'll be able to diagnose and repair it someday.. even to re-sell.

I need to get back in the habit of frequenting pawn shops for gear. TG33s are going for like $200+ on eBay apparently, certainly more than the $50 you paid for it. Not that I have cash for spending on shit I don't need right now now anyway...ugh...

Think I'm developing a bit of a thing for really shite gear; wasn't expensive fortunately.

I seriously should've been collecting that sort of 90s shit from people over the past 20 years but I was busy playing guitar and thinking computers were the end-all, be-all of electronic music. Managed to pick up a few super cheap toy keyboards and a few small things I've still got around though. It's not expensive usually but it can be a hassle moving the shit around thinking "I haven't plugged this in for 3 years, it's a toy, why the fuck do I have it?"

Guest Chesney

found a dirt cheap Teac 144 in a junk shop at the weekend. Just tried it, needs a new belt and good clean up.

I'm gassing for a PRS baritone right now too but i'll hopefully part ex some guits/pedals I don't use because I have spent too much money of late.

I seriously should've been collecting that sort of 90s shit from people over the past 20 years

From the limited stuff I've heard from the DS-330, there's a glassy blandness to a lot of the (preset) sounds that would, until recently, have seen them disregarded as total shit, but that I can now see finding a niche amongst vaporwave heads, that kind of trapped-in-a-waiting-room/Casio preset sound.

I do wonder sometimes what the next wave of fetishised gear will be, now that we've had classic analog stuff, and '80s FM gear, and little samplers like the SP-303 that got snapped up by all the Dilla fans. Sometimes think the bland '90s stuff might be due for a comeback (certainly, rack synths from the period seem to be getting the rep they're due).

I sometimes think those packed-out workstations that were aimed less at watmm-style synth fans and more at the home studio production crowd who wanted them for realistic string samples might get some props in the future. I think they've probably got some ferocious sounds hidden away under the sheer number of functions, but it'd take someone making killer tunes with them to get the ball rolling.

(By the same token, though, I think what people like about a lot of old gear that's become a cult affair is the simplicity of the workflow, or the fact that they do one thing, but do it well, but I digress)

^good points yeah, and it is a bit of digression from the thread topic but oh well...the workstations surely do have some hidden secrets but I think their size, learning curve, and even used prices might be too much to really ever drag them into any spotlight. Who knows...but I couldn't ever deal with them.

If I were to guess I'd think some older software could see a resurgence soon. There are SO many weird little programs that could provide unique sounds and interfaces for the adventurous types...especially with the growing appreciation for late 90s/early 2000s era IDM/electronic scene which much of that was made with. Tie that with the fact that it's relatively easy to run older OS versions natively on old computers or virtually, and I think there's a fucking wormhole full of possibilities there. I've been hoping to get a windows machine so I can start to delve into this for a few years but I've had other shit getting in my way of those purchases...

Actress used one of the earlier workstation keyboards for much of the sounds on RIP. Korg something. The workstations now are soooo convoluted and stupidly expensive, and yet it's the main thing you find at guitar center.

One of my friends makes some pretty decent music using a Triton:

http://weeklybeats.com/#/ctrix/music/a4a-ii-release-candidate-amiga-500

http://weeklybeats.com/#/ctrix/music/experiment-in-house-iv

http://weeklybeats.com/#/ctrix/music/digital-twiddling-korg-triton-le---two-takes

If I were to guess I'd think some older software could see a resurgence soon. There are SO many weird little programs that could provide unique sounds and interfaces for the adventurous types...especially with the growing appreciation for late 90s/early 2000s era IDM/electronic scene which much of that was made with. Tie that with the fact that it's relatively easy to run older OS versions natively on old computers or virtually, and I think there's a fucking wormhole full of possibilities there. I've been hoping to get a windows machine so I can start to delve into this for a few years but I've had other shit getting in my way of those purchases...

I've been thinking this recently as well. The other day I was remembering how orangedust and I used programs like Stomper and Orangator to make our drum sounds, and that we barely knew what we were doing in terms of synthesis, but it still sounded cool. I wonder what it'd be like to go back to that old software with my current knowledge. I might have to get an XP machine running again just to get Orangator back :D

I might have to get an XP machine running again just to get Orangator back :D

Speaking of which I actually dug out a knackered desktop PC that was languishing in my parents' garage; it was the first PC we got back in the day, 2001-ish. Took it up to my house, deleted absolutely everything, rinsed it, deleted everything except Reaper, Audacity and VLC media player, and packed it up with samples (classic drum machines etc plus my own homebrew samples). It's Windows XP and it actually runs like a dream, all things considered. Probably because I don't use a lot of plugins, though. But it can handle wee reverb plugins and things like that; I mainly plan on using it as a dedicated PC for mixing and EQing so for a free find it's not doing too bad a job. 

Scored a pretty good CZ-101 case at the Good Will for $8.50 the other day.  It was made to hold a telescope so it's more solid than it looks. Sides, back and lid have sturdy plastic stiffeners inside, with two bent metal rods about as thick as pencils around the circumference for reinforcement, and the handles are mounted through pretty solid aluminum plates.  Just needs some foam rubber and it'll be a perfect road case for the CZ, with just enough room to spare for the power supply and a cable or two.

The visual presentation speaks for itself. Cosmo Synth indeed.

post-19174-0-44028800-1493236229_thumb.jpg

post-19174-0-93992400-1493236246_thumb.jpg

I might have to get an XP machine running again just to get Orangator back :D

Speaking of which I actually dug out a knackered desktop PC that was languishing in my parents' garage; it was the first PC we got back in the day, 2001-ish. Took it up to my house, deleted absolutely everything, rinsed it, deleted everything except Reaper, Audacity and VLC media player, and packed it up with samples (classic drum machines etc plus my own homebrew samples). It's Windows XP and it actually runs like a dream, all things considered. Probably because I don't use a lot of plugins, though. But it can handle wee reverb plugins and things like that; I mainly plan on using it as a dedicated PC for mixing and EQing so for a free find it's not doing too bad a job. 

If it's compatible with your hardware, try putting Windows 2000 on it sometime.  Best performing Windows version to this day, but it's kind of picky about hardware.  Not as bad as NT4 but nowhere near as widely compatible as XP.  But if it works for your setup I think you'll like it.

Orangator was great, I haven't used it in years but I have fond memories. 

Stomper I still use pretty regularly.

I've been meaning to dig out the old copy of Virtual Waves 2 I copied from someone years ago, that was a hell of a thing to play with back then.  I still can't think of any other synths that let you use cellular automata as a tone source, although they're probably out there.

I need to get back in the habit of frequenting pawn shops for gear. TG33s are going for like $200+ on eBay apparently, certainly more than the $50 you paid for it. Not that I have cash for spending on shit I don't need right now now anyway...ugh...

I seriously should've been collecting that sort of 90s shit from people over the past 20 years but I was busy playing guitar and thinking computers were the end-all, be-all of electronic music. Managed to pick up a few super cheap toy keyboards and a few small things I've still got around though. It's not expensive usually but it can be a hassle moving the shit around thinking "I haven't plugged this in for 3 years, it's a toy, why the fuck do I have it?"

I missed the boat on cheap vintage guitars, I missed the boat on cheap 70s analog synths, I missed the boat n cheap 80s analog synths, but my head, my wallet and the market were all in the right place at the right time a few years back and I managed to get a pretty solid pile of late 80s and 90s digital stuff before the prices started going up, and I love it.  I've actually been messing around with the lowly Boss DR-5 Dr. Rhythm Section as a performance controller recently, it's gota completely unique layout and the chord mode is a lot of fun.  I always come up with stuff I'd never have come up with on a regular keyboard or piano roll when I use it.  PRetty good source of extra cheesy low end ROMpler sounds, too, and has some DR550 samples in it.  They're still really cheap, even on ebay they don't break $50 very often (mine was a trade, so I'm only out a $15 Synsonics drum and the cost of shipping, and you could probably find them free if you really paid attention to local classified ads or Craigslist/Gumtree/whatever). 

Been using the comparably cheap Kawai k1m more than most of the "better" synths I have , too.  You can get some really inspiring, unique sounds out of that thing, and the bass can get huge (and very digital in the good way).  It's realyl easy and quick to program, too,despite what you might hear.

Having one or two really solid, workhorse classics is great but unpopular, weird sounding gear is still kind of my favorite.

Never did manage to get a TG33 before the prices went up, though, that's the one that got away.

Edited by RSP

Cheers RSP, might well investigate Windows 2000 if I start having performance issues!

I initially read that as saying you scored a CZ for $8.50, lol. Sick case though, perfect aesthetics for a synth voyager too.

First impressions of the Boss DS-330 are good, have only had an hour or so to play with it; it's basically a limitation machine, full of plastic presets, which means you have to dive straight into trying to coax it into doing things it wasn't necessarily intended to do; on-board reverb is surprisingly decent though and can turn out some pretty lush Legowelt-y stuff. I'm going to invest a bit of time with it soon and get some nice patches locked away in its little banks, turn it into a go-to ambient machine perhaps.

I've had a hankering for a Kawai of some variety since seeing this demo in a watmm thread:

Reject/under-the-radar/eBay bargain gear is where it's at

Edited by Leon Sumbitches

I haven't done it, but I've looked at mods for CV control of the joystick x/y in the K1 and K1m (the rack version has no joystick so don't bother with it) and  it seems completely rudimentary, it really is just two pots attenuating two voltages. if I remember right it even uses  5v so you don't need any electronics, just cut a a couple of traces and add some switched jacks (and probably a switch for at least the X axis so you cna still use the joystick for data entry without having to unplug the CV cable every time).

Anyway, the k1m is definitely my favorite cheap, unwanted synth right now, in a pinch you could do a pretty good lo-fi, minimal set of some kind with just a k1 and a sequencer.  The drum sounds in it are ridiculous (not  necessarily a bad thing) but some of the percussion sounds on the official ROM card library (Kawai has all of them for free download on their site as sysex files now) are pretty good.  It can do a lot more than it seems like when you first start messing with it. Everyone wants the one with analog filtesr (k3?) but the raw digitalness of the k1 is what makes it so good.

Never gotten to use any other Kawai stuff from this period that wasn't ROMplers (my first master keyboard was some kind of Kawaii stage piano with like 16 preset tones and nothing else, that I got for like $40 at a guitar center) but a lot of them sound really cool, and they all sound different. The k1m is definitely a simpler, less polished thing than that XD-5 (all of the waveforms are 8 bit with no filters to be found, just for starters) but it's definitely a different flavor of the same kind of sound. Plus it looks great in that plasticy, Darth Vadery way.

I'm a bit evangelical about the k1m in case it wasn't obvious.

Edited by RSP

Oh, re: Windows 2000, the main thing (and it's been a while since I learned this so I forget the specifics) is that it accesses discs slightly differently than later versions of Windows, and a bunch of benchmark tests around the Windows 8 period showed that it outperformed every other version of Windows specifically with modern solid state drives by a moderate but not insignificant amount, which is completely surprising.  Probably not worth the hassle of getting it going on a modern computer most of the time but if you were going to be streaming samples from disk on an old machine it's worth thinking about.

I looked up that K1m and there's some good sounds possible in it for sure, programming it looks like it could get old quickly, but for the right price it could be a good buy. They're going for way more than I'd pay on eBay though ($200 average it seemed), and I'm not looking into buying anything for the time being anyway. Maybe in a few months once I get really comfortable or done with the stuff I'm working on now. 

0e1a0835475cd1c5f23599a8fbacac5f.jpg My current set up.