IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

honestly wondered if you might be him, heh. are you trying to do a similar setup? and/or were you inspired by him?

I'd never heard of him before, but my approach was quite different anyhow. I was actually processing the sound of the drums, not using them as triggers. Basically I set up a little delay line/waveguide with a vocal filter, and some envelope followers at different frequency bands to tweak the parameters.

This is what it sounds like:

https://soundcloud.com/th555/the-expected-time-of-the-suns-demise

honestly wondered if you might be him, heh. are you trying to do a similar setup? and/or were you inspired by him?

I'd never heard of him before, but my approach was quite different anyhow. I was actually processing the sound of the drums, not using them as triggers. Basically I set up a little delay line/waveguide with a vocal filter, and some envelope followers at different frequency bands to tweak the parameters.

sounds absolutely horrible, I love it :D

Sadly Duracell quit music a while ago due to hearing related issues. Really made me realise that the same thing could happen to me, so from then on I started wearing earplugs at most shows!

1:15 - IT IS LAZER:30 BITCHES

2:25 - bow to the wow the wow

2:45 - did I hear a melody?

3:40 - springtime and the birds are out again!

3:55 - there's that melody we talked about

4:05 - mmm maple syrup, don't mind if I do.

4:20 - slip n slide!

4:25 - tuvan micromod singing

4:40 - 1999 called, Korn wants its intro back

5:00 - grampa stop wolf-whistling, it's offensive

5:20 - yeah YOW bow to the WOW

5:35 - everything is getting pixellated

5:45 - introducing!

5:50 - what just came out of the sky

6:02 - lol did you record this to 4-track or something what the fuck is going on

6:15 - sparkly

6:25 - oh you're the one who took my train whistle!

6:35 - these frogs are rather large

6:45 - quit your crooning you devil you

6:55 - DO NOT FORGET TO BRUSH YOUR TEETH

7:00 - it says you're experienced in Microsoft Word 1998, very good

7:25 - CLOWN PARTY!!!!

7:35 - OPEN THE DOOR THIS INSTANT!

7:40 - the cry of the wild spandex banshee

7:45 - you made it weep blue plastic bead-tears

8:00 - don't get the dog riled up!

8:10 - dance, damn you, dance!

8:15 - REACTOR CORE BREACH

8:25 - a weird dial tone

8:30 - whose large hot dog is this WHOSE LARGE HOT DOG IS THIS??

8:55 - oh that guy? I didn't want the hot dog anyway

9:00 - WE. ARE. THE. MARCHING. YELLING. TRUMPETERS.

9:10 - TRUMPETERS, ABOUT FACE!

9:20 - RABBLE ROUSERS, BE SEATED!

9:30 - I heard you've been talking to MELODY again

9:40 - CLOWN DEFLATION SEQUENCE INITIATED

9:45 - did someone say... BUBBLES???

9:55 - eeeh, tough crowd

EPISODE 2

10:00 - this is my friend, he's kind of a jerk

10:10 - HOLY SHIT HIS SHIRT IS SO UGLY I CAN'T HANDLE IT AAAAAAAAAH

10:20 - we bring you an urgent update... please stay tuned...

10:25 - ...no srsly hang on...

10:30 - ALIEN HAVE INVADED EARTH

10:35 - they have tentacles

10:40 - and they can fly

10:45 - my, such beautiful eyes

10:50 - I think they are trying to eat us

10:55 - holy crap they can fly pretty fast... LAZER SPEED

11:05 - CAPTAIN: adjust throttle!

11:10 - I burnt this popcorn but it's still pretty good

11:15 - kinda soggy tho

11:25 - STAY TUNED TIL NEXT TIME!

Sadly Duracell quit music a while ago due to hearing related issues. Really made me realise that the same thing could happen to me, so from then on I started wearing earplugs at most shows!

yikes that sucks. i bought a nice pair of etymotics a while back but always forget to take them to shows -_-

That's a Roland S-760 sampler that I haven't hooked up in my setup yet, so I'm not sure how well it works.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/clouzeau/s760/

It came with that monitor with no casing, a mouse, a SCSI hard drive, and a bunch of ripped sample CDs. The terminologies and workflow seems archaic and unique, but I'm eager to get it going. I traded a Midiverb to a friend for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a lot to do but I'm at the point where I can mix ITB again.

Ended up not using the speaker stands I traded for and just going for the not-ideal-bu-passable monitors beside the screen approach.   The layout of the room makes spreading them apart any wider kind of a pain.  So far I'm not finding that I need to toe them in at all because they're so close together, but once I'm done setting up I'll experiment a bit.

post-19174-234502_thumb.jpg

Edited by RSP

Nice! RS-09 or a saturn on top?

RS-09

I traded my old MG-1 to a friend for it last year (probably an unfair trade by current prices but I got the MG-1 for $25 and I had been after a string synth for years but couldn't justify the size of most of them) and he just traded the MG-1 for a Mother 32 so everyone is happy.

Edited by RSP

Looks like a great space RSP!

Yeah, I'm really excited.  Just need to get a few outlets fixed and a couple old mouse holes plugged under the sink (I'm the first non-cat-owner in the building in a lot of years) and do a lot more unpacking but it's already the best place I've had in a long time.  I realized the other night that it's been over a decade since my stereo has actually been in a room big enough for it to sound good,

That's a Roland S-760 sampler that I haven't hooked up in my setup yet, so I'm not sure how well it works.

It came with that monitor with no casing, a mouse, a SCSI hard drive, and a bunch of ripped sample CDs. The terminologies and workflow seems archaic and unique, but I'm eager to get it going. I traded a Midiverb to a friend for it.

That monitor is cyberpunk af

That monitor is cyberpunk af

Yah, seriously.  Looks badass, but I wouldn't want to touch it when it's on...

i used to help a pop producer who had s760 in his rack and he used it a ton. he was fast on it.. had the mouse, monitor etc.. i'd recommend starting to use it w/drums. put a bunch of drum sounds in it. it'll sound huge. it's  a beauty. lush sounding... but punchy as fuck too. it's a nice sounding instrument. 

i used to help a pop producer who had s760 in his rack and he used it a ton. he was fast on it.. had the mouse, monitor etc.. i'd recommend starting to use it w/drums. put a bunch of drum sounds in it. it'll sound huge. it's  a beauty. lush sounding... but punchy as fuck too. it's a nice sounding instrument. 

I used to have an S550. I don't think rack samplers are my bag anymore but damn, what a nice sounding machine. Really balanced, just a bit of crunch but it can be buttery smooth. If the S760 is anything like it, I concur, you're in for a treat. Good call on the drums. Also just looping short waves, like mine came with some cheesy trumpet samples and I just truncated those to make warbly pads... it just has a way of making things sound pretty. 

The S550 also shared the sample table amongst all the voices which sounds kind of annoying, but I thought it was really cool and got a fair amount of happy accident mileage out of that. It was kind of ahead of its time because it's basically the same deal as sample chains on the Octatrack.

Cool, thanks for the insight! I'm not familiar with it at all. I was looking for a rack sampler for drum breaks, my friend had this in a bin for years and never used it.

• 2 weeks later...

post-19174-0-97767500-1503777403_thumb.jpg

More or less done.  most of the stuff in the tall rack isn't hooked up yet and I have one more old keyboard (Alesis QS7.1, nothing exciting but I still like it) waiting until I have the money to get another two tier stand, but it's basically finished.  Already way more productive - I've recorded about 90 minutes of material with my neighbor in the last week alone -  and it's a good space to mix in.  First time I've ever been able to really set things up the way I want them.

Incidentally, the utility cart I have the Octatrack and CZ-101 and stuff on was pretty cheap, around $60 (plus another $5 for the cabinet door I bolted on top to make it into a table), and makes a fantastic floating work space for table top synths. I forget who makes them but if you search "utility cart" on Amazon they show up, and if you're in the market for that sort of thing I can't imagine what would be better. You could always put a bigger piece of wood on top if you needed more space.