IGNORED

Neon Genesis Evangelion

YEK

um so I've never watched this series but....*100000 words triple post with links*

giphy.gif

I'm afraid actually watching the series will make me dumber somehow, from what I've heard

as long as he doesn't post a nipple or an MS Paint dick it's alright. WATMM approved

lol

I guess I'm trying too hard to recreate the IDM experience through forum posts, flol

Edited by Ragnar

• 2 months later...

yeah and it's only 2 years away from coming out in theatres (in japan)! which means 10 years before it's out on bluray!

Edited by juiceciuj
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, yekker said:

New movie is everything I wanted and answers lots of questions from the previous one. So happy how it turned out.

Ok, so, ages ago my mate sat me down and played me select scenes from the series and then the movie(s) and I remember being both a)extremely compromised and b)having my brain blown by the metaphysics of it all. 

If I wanted to sit down and give it a go, are there any recommendations on how to attack this? From cursory reading it sounds like at least one of the movies recaps main bits from the series and then adds an additional ending, but other movies seem to deviate from the initial run. Is it best to just try and watch the full series first? Is the version on Netflix ok to watch? Is it really as good as I remember? 

On 5/1/2020 at 2:05 AM, yekker said:

Special delivery

20200430_225137.jpg

Reading right to left is something to get used to. 

I looked up the going rate for the DVD sets & the remake blu-rays, cha-ching! ? Time to fish them out of a box somewhere...

• Rubin Farr changed the title to Neon Genesis Evangelion
18 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Ok, so, ages ago my mate sat me down and played me select scenes from the series and then the movie(s) and I remember being both a)extremely compromised and b)having my brain blown by the metaphysics of it all. 

If I wanted to sit down and give it a go, are there any recommendations on how to attack this? From cursory reading it sounds like at least one of the movies recaps main bits from the series and then adds an additional ending, but other movies seem to deviate from the initial run. Is it best to just try and watch the full series first? Is the version on Netflix ok to watch? Is it really as good as I remember? 

Here’s how it breaks down: there are basically 3 different animated versions of the Evangelion storyline, all told by director Hideaki Anno. 

Version 1: the 26 episode series as originally aired on Japanese TV in the 90s.

Version 2: Anno re-edited and condensed the original series into the film Death & Rebirth (a re-cap), then comes End of Evangelion, Anno decided to rewrite the original more psychological-based finale into a much more extravagant & even less coherent flashy movie-length finale.

*you can watch the series and then jump to End of Evangelion after episode 24, which is the most climactic way to watch the TV series.

Version 3: starting in 2007, (and concluding this week!) is the “reimagining” of the Eva storyline told in 4 feature length films, with a much higher animation budget, and the advantage of modern CGI effects.

Manga: a completely alternate storyline told by original character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, which began before the anime series even aired in 1994, and wrapped up some 19 years later in 2013.

• Like 2

Thanks @Rubin Farr

Ok, if you had to pick, would you just go straight to version 3? Or would you do version #2? 

Honestly, given time constraints it's unlikely I'd do the full series and would prob opt for the movies. 

6 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Thanks @Rubin Farr

Ok, if you had to pick, would you just go straight to version 3? Or would you do version #2? 

Honestly, given time constraints it's unlikely I'd do the full series and would prob opt for the movies. 

It really depends, I’ve seen fans defend them all (except the new movie) and yeah, it’s a time sink. I’m about to binge all 4 movies, so I can report back later, but IMO, the original endings were ok either way. If you want to see big cosmic monsters fighting, and the Christian references, watch End of Evangelion. If you are more into the mental health angle, watch the series and Shinji’s PTSD.

Netflix here only has the original series, The End of Evangelion, and Evangelion Death (True)2. They do nicely, but I'd like to see the Rebuild movies. I got myself one of these, too.

EVANGELION_CYBERNUERO-BILLAIN_NEO4IC_.1.421_3000x.jpg?v=1612423200

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dcom said:

Netflix here only has the original series, The End of Evangelion, and Evangelion Death (True)2. They do nicely, but I'd like to see the Rebuild movies. I got myself one of these, too.

EVANGELION_CYBERNUERO-BILLAIN_NEO4IC_.1.421_3000x.jpg?v=1612423200

The remakes are on Amazon 

3 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

The remakes are on Amazon 

Nope, not on Prime Video, it's different from the actual Prime, the availability of interesting things is a fraction of what it is on Prime proper. License regions, what a scam.

It's a decent anime. Last 2 episodes were just too jarring for me when the previous episodes the psychology stuff was in in the background. So the last two episodes roll around and they didn't feel like they were justified or needed. I know it was from budget cuts but still. If they had focused more on the psychology throughout the anime then maybe it would have made more sense. Now that I think about it, I actually dropped the anime halfway thru the first of the two and just watched the movie. Forced myself to finish it up after a few weeks as it felt odd dropping a show an episode or two before the end.

I did like all the movies though. Probably better than the anime due to their faster pace. The movie that 'replaced' the last two episodes was a much better ending. And the first three 're-do' movies were good. I haven't seen the 4.0 one if it is out by now.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, dcom said:

Nope, not on Prime Video, it's different from the actual Prime, the availability of interesting things is a fraction of what it is on Prime proper. License regions, what a scam.

Besides region, it might also depend on the device. On my iPhone it says Prime, but on the Apple TV, it’s in the Prime Video app.

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

Besides region, it might also depend on the device. On my iPhone it says Prime, but on the Apple TV, it’s in the Prime Video app.

Nah, none of my devices have any NGE via Prime, and Google Play shows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, The End, and Death and Rebirth - but they can't be watched. Boo.

Edited by dcom