IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

Guest hahathhat
Last night I dreamed I got Quaristice, then I woke up and figured it only was a dream.

so what did it sound like?

i've had some rad dreams about watching movies i wished someone would make... of books i've read and such. there tend to be archers and fire and shit that wasn't in the book, but movie versions always fuck with the story, and it's closer than i'd get otherwise.

How come the promos haven't leak yet.... This is the same for Clark's new LP... And it was the same with Burial's Untrue... It seems like internet is is more leakproof than before...

(Don't start the debate about "how come people want it to leak 2 months in advance and stuff, I love music, and especially autechre's, and I support the artist I like by buying there music on vinyl and on bleep, and going to there concerts... It's just that I'm impatient for great music to come out, and I like to draw listening to great new stuff...)

So, where are they ? (For the Clark LP, I guess I just have to wait one more week and look in my mailbox)

Digital watermarking - as far as I can tell - is really good, covering situations such as digital to analogue conversions (I really thought there would be an easy way around it). It's a solid system for the labels - journos are rightly anxious about being named as the cause of a leak).

So you can't play your copy with a pc and then record the audio directly from the soundcard with software, without these watermarking being transferred onto the recorded file?

Someone should hack this damn system.

the digital watermarking is most likely actually in the waves of the songs themselves - not matter how much you re-record, transcode, etc, it will still be present (no matter how inaudible) in the recording. it's not like copy protection, there is no way around it.

ae's most backward looking album - all the bits are there but it just not quite right - sounds like they simply got a load of their old ideas and tarted them up.

50/50 for me - not their best, not their worst

nothing special to be honest

That's been nearly a week now since I got Quaristice. Not sure what I think. As is normal when a new Ae LP hits the player. First impressions were good, then started to think "hmmm." now getting more into it, but still can't help feeling as though I'm listening to a collection of loose ends from the cutting room floor... like they swept up all their unfinished business from CS right through to Untilted and popped em on an ipod shuffle.

It's not bad - certainly not. But there's something playing on my mind as I go through it, like it doesn't quite sound new. Some does - granted - but some sounds like it could be nearly 10 years old.

Dunno.. always takes me about a year to work out what I genuinely think about an Ae release, perhaps the beauty of their work.

So far... hmmmmm. Some good stuff on here, plenty bass and rumbling bottom end but some moments of question.

And yeah.... nobody wants snibbed off the press list, so nobody will leak.

that's another thing - i dont see/hear/feel any cohesion. as mo suggested yesterday (in the midst of a high-ranking Quarastice discussion at a 'top secret' installation) it has the feeling of Gescom Minidisc about it... ie arbitrary running order which could easily be played on shuffle/random and deliver similar results.

interesting. i guess i'm just glad that autechre are releasing some new stuff. and as much as i like to listen to their albums all the way through, it's not essential - it's not as though they are concept albums or anything. i won't mind if this is just a collection of tracks as you say. what i've heard so far is pretty nice, and i've decided i'm not going to listen again until the album is actually released, or if warp puts a song on the front page.

i'm drinking

lol @ anybody judging an ae album before listening to it for like a month first. I haven't read anybodies reviews yet but I mean look at Untilted. I like untilted, but when I first heard it, I did not. It took many listens for me to "get it". And from what I read, the same is true for most on here with Draft and Confield. For a group like ae, who are very, very subtle, one, two, or three listens usually isn't enough.

that's another thing - i dont see/hear/feel any cohesion. as mo suggested yesterday (in the midst of a high-ranking Quarastice discussion at a 'top secret' installation) it has the feeling of Gescom Minidisc about it... ie arbitrary running order which could easily be played on shuffle/random and deliver similar results.

do you think the vinyl will be sequenced any different?

Guest burnibus

Just had a quick listen at work and i love the sound of these tracks nicely different to the wire tunes.

people may say better or worse than other albums but the thing i love about ae is they aren't trying to be better, just trying to express themselves and that is reflected in all their outpu. superbly original stuff again.