IGNORED

Aphex Twin @ Bestival 2008

boris

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

had to register just to inform everyone how disappointing Aphex Twin was at Bestival.

people on here protecting him saying that it was the 'shittest' set of fans at an aphex twin set are simply blind fanboys. The fact is, if the bass was working properly and he actualy played some decent (intelligent) music then the crowd would have been loving it.

i was at the front and i could even here people chanting "TURN IT UP, TURN IT UP" from the back of the tent. Also, the music was so quiet that i could have a conversation with the people next to me and i find it abhorrent that people were even applauding the set. I feel even Richard would have been disappointed with the lack of atmosphere he was creating, especially when he made a 'sorry' gesture and then bent down behind his set-up and started fiddling with the wires.

people who actually had some sense were quite rightly disgusted, i even heard some guy say "WHERE THE FUCK IS APHEX TWIN".

In all honesty however, i certainly feel that it wasn't Aphex Twins fault entirely because even if he played Xtal or Bradleys Robot (or even an Elephant song), the atmosphere was so down that anything he could have done would have felt flawed.

Even when he played fenix funk or last rushup 10 (songs that i like), they just felt totally empty. In all, the sound set up was what sabotaged the evening.

vastly disappointing, would like to hear Richards take on it because some of his music at the start was a literal HOAX (was he just printing money as the accompanying video suggested????)

p.s. sorry for poor grammer

had to register just to inform everyone how disappointing Aphex Twin was at Bestival.

people on here protecting him saying ..

totally agree.. that's how I felt and yeah, there was just nothing.. fucking so disappointed from seeing his other live shows.

Guest Helper ET
I felt bad for the guy, after being helicoptered in and Bestival trying to get him to play for 5 yrs you'd think the crowd would go mad.

he flew in, in a helicopter? a helicopter?

That's what I heard!

I don't think it's being that fanboy saying the crowd was wank, it was. As was the sound, and AFX's performance for the most part. Everyone plays bad gigs from time to time, but the crowd weren't giving much energy back in the first place, which hardly helps a performer put on a good show

"environmental health issues" sounds like they were worried about pumpin the amps in such a rain-soaked setting.

bet you that's what it was.

the crowd weren't giving much energy back in the first place, which hardly helps a performer put on a good show

i totally disagree, i don't think richard is fickle enough to really care what his audience is up to, to be able to put on a good show. For instance, if his crowd isn't giving him 'enough' energy (whatever that means! regarding you can barely dance to his good stuff anyway) he doesn't then decide in that instance to play some generic music. Im pretty sure he will have a rough idea of what he wants to play beforehand.

Also, the crowd were giving him energy at the start of the set, but it was a mixture of Aphex Twin's music and the low volume in which doused everyone.

and with the fact that he wasn't introduced, a lot of people didn't even know he had started. His music was so generic during the first hour that you could be mislead to think that he was playing a CD of 'party tunez'. Furthermore, the youtube video was taking during the time he walked off stage and THAT track was merely on loop for 15minutes, so to the guy who is 'lmfao'. What is so funny?

According to that tripoded camera - it looks like someone recorded the whole thing. I want the incredibly bad performance.

The intro has been done before.

Also the last second or two someone is heard to be yelling, "TURN IT UP!"

THE EXCITING CROWD AT APHEX TWIN BESTIVAL 2008:

hah typical... blame the crowd, not the performer. you may need to crawl out of GAK's ring hole!

Archived