IGNORED

How did you come across Aphex twin?

Guest Ikiru

How did you originally come across Aphex Twin (or his other aliases) and how old where you?

simple really.

personality i saw windowlicker on late night MTV about 5 years ago and it just seemed to fill the void that my mind had vacant for such musical artistry and total originality.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i bought the richard d. james album (u.s. version) in 1996 when i was 13, because i liked the cover

i only sorta got it at the time though, and didn't follow his career until i learned about squarepusher

heard 4 when i was about 11, liked it but didn't bother to find more tracks

heard drukqs when i was about 14, hated it

heard rest of RDJ album when i was about 16, then drukqs, and it all made sense!!!!

Guest narkeworld

Picture of him in Q magazine in 1992. He looked cool. Actually it was this picture that got me interested in him over the Meat Beat manifesto remix which I heard in 1992. But I love that remix now.

Guest hahathhat

i can't recall. it was either

A) from the pi soundtrack

B) from someone uploading his trax to an mp3 swap server i used to run before p2p made that redundant

I have always loved Electronic music, my main thing is William Orbit but I wanted to hear more, and discover other electronic styles. Aphex seemed the next logical artist to collect.

Guest cyphersum

bought Polygon Window in 1993 (i was 19) when I worked at a music store.

from this point on i vowed to buy every single thing that this Richard James person made.

i then bought On and '73 Yips' and 'Xepha' blew me away. i was then clamoring for the hard to get Caustic Window material.

Guest cyphersum

also... i was able to hang out and watch him and luke play pool in 1997 at the Seattle show. i noticed he made beat and synth sounds with his mouth (kind of quiet like) while casually playing pool.

the only reason they let me hang out with them was because of the RePhlex shirt i made. Richard said it was "really wicked" and then asked if i had any quarters for the table. <<insert fanboy sigh>>

Guest hahathhat
i noticed he made beat and synth sounds with his mouth (kind of quiet like) while casually playing pool.

and vibert made sampler noises?

Guest cyphersum
i noticed he made beat and synth sounds with his mouth (kind of quiet like) while casually playing pool.

no he was sampling.

Guest hahathhat

no he was sampling.

i'm getting this image of vibert going around with an akai s2000 in a belt pak.

I bet that RDJ is chintzy irl. He seems like someone who'll pickup his corduroys at charity shops, buy rotten fruit on special at Aldi's, and then buy a lead crystal synthesizer with ruby knobs and components of platinum all in the same day.

fucking lol

Archived