IGNORED

How did you come across Aphex twin?

Guest Ikiru

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vaguely remember seeing the Windowlicker video in 1999, but I really didn't listen to any electronic music back then. Friend recommended it to me in 2004, bought a copy of the RDJ album and was hooked. I couldn't even wrap my head around it back then; the year before I had just started listening to stuff like the Chemical Brothers and Basement Jaxx (not to say they're shit, but know, not exactly mind-blowing in retrospect).

Came across the Come To Daddy single at my local library, borrowed it on account of the interesting cover. Back then I gobbled up everything that looked slightly interesting. And still do. Come To Daddy was ok for shock value but later I got into his more ambient stuff, which I kind of prefer. This is too aggressive.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

Back in 2000, VH1 made a show on really good low budget music videos , and they showed Come To Daddy ( for only 5 seconds...literally ) It was quick , but the image of the thin man screaming in the old ladies face stuck with me for YEARS ( sadly...I forget the name of the artist ) Fast forward 3 years later , MTV2 airs 'Top 20 greatest banned videos' . They show Windowlicker and RDJ's face made my mind revert back to 2000 lol I bought the Come To Daddy ep a few days later and...I became disturbingly obsessed with Aphex Twin after listening to it.

Two friends living in an old victorian located in Asheville NC and I started exchanging mix tapes.

The house was falling down, cracked paint on the walls, the years carved out in the wooden floors,

the yard grown in weeds and littered with old furniture and playground equipment, old mattress

springs long since left naked of their cloth.

The first of the two had a obsession with fallen angels which he would paint, scrutinizing

his process for hours. Dividing his time between the paints and his training using fire and personal

adaptations on ancient methods of swordplay for a local circus. His room was strewn with half dried paint left over from

his working's, random objects collected from salvage yards set as sculpture and as inspiration for texture in his painting.

The other friend had a love for old books, some fiction but mostly not. He had an amazingly rich sense of design

to his room, akin to renaissance saturation, but with a very drab and dry color pallet centering around grey, brown,

pale oranges,washed out black's and bage. Lots of old books all around. He also was an artist, mainly

focusing on small portraits in pen and ink.

-I explain all this because the environment was so connected to the music's that it is necessary to do so in order to grasp

the experience in it's fullness-

The first friend would make tapes of Coil, Scorn, Cocteau Twins, and Brian Eno.

The second made tapes of Seefeel, Aphex Twin (SAW II), and strange haunting things that were given without names.

I would bring tapes to them filled with Meat Beat Manifesto (Subliminal Sandwich had just come out) and some of my beginner DJ

mixes from the days of miss-matched thrift-store decks, radio shack mixer and disc-man cd sample madness.

I was especially touched by the delicate sounds of Aphex Twin, Seefeel and the deep sub-bass of Scorn.

Long days were spent in this environment of theirs, learning what it was to believe in things which I

could not prove with more then what I new in my heart, the wisp of these delicate sounds leading my way

and inspiring my searching through the past and present... for the future.

My next stop was 'The Richard D. James Album that same year. I was never the same again.

Two friends living in an old victorian located in Asheville NC and I started exchanging mix tapes.

The house was falling down, cracked paint on the walls, the years carved out in the wooden floors,

the yard grown in weeds and littered with old furniture and playground equipment, old mattress

springs long since left naked of there cloth.

The first of the two had a obsession with fallen angels which he would paint, scrutinizing

his process for hours. Dividing his time between the paints and his training using fire and personal

adaptations on ancient methods of swordplay for a local circus. His room was all half dried pain, random

objects collected from salvage yards seen as sculpture and inspiration for texture in his painting.

The other friend had a love for old books, some fiction but mostly not. He had an amazingly rich sense of design

to his room, akin to renaissance saturation, but with a very drab and dry color pallet centering around grey, brown,

pail oranges,washed out black's and bage. Lots of old books all around. He also was an artist, mainly

-I explain all this because the environment was so connected to the music's that it is necessary to do so in order to grasp

The second made tapes of Seefeel, Aphex Twin (SAW II), and strange haunting things that were received without names.

I would bring tapes to them filled with Meat Beat Manifesto (Subliminal Sandwich had just come out) and some of my beginner DJ

mixes from the days of miss-matched thrift-store decks, radio shack mixer and disc-man cd sample madness.

I was especially touched by the delicate sounds of Aphex Twin, Seefeel and the deep sub-bass of Scorn.

Long days were spent in this environment of theirs, learning what it was to believe in things which I

could not prove with more then what I new in my heart, the wisp of these delicate sounds leading my way

My next stop was 'The Richard D. James Album that same year. I was never the same again.

their

adaptations on ancient methods of swordplay for a local circus. His room was all half dried pain, random

objects collected from salvage yards seen as sculpture and inspiration for texture in his painting.

pail oranges,washed out black's and bage. Lots of old books all around. He also was an artist, mainly

The second made tapes of Seefeel, Aphex Twin (SAW II), and strange haunting things that were received without names.

their

there

their

there

:cisfor:

• 7 months later...

It was a bit random.

I used to be this "Metal-Teenager" , i wore Korn , and Slipknot t-shirts to school , worshiped Satan for a while, and I didn't have any interest in Electronic music. One day (at the age of 12) i was browsing 02's internet (looking for pictures of Cornwall for a school project) , i came across a very weird image (I Care Because You Do Cover) , it intrigued me , i was fascinating by the depth and meaning of that self-portrait (I didn't know who that guy was/nor did i knew it was a music album cover) , about a week later i saw the album on the store , and obviously i brought it. Came home , put it on the stereo .. and .... Acrid Avid Jam Shred BEGINS!!! , i didn't think anything of it 'till the 3.50 mark , as soon as that melody starting playing on my headphones , i smiled like i've never smiled before , that was the exact moment where my "emo-metal" era died , i was not an angry teenager anymore , i was an AFX fan.

As the weeks pass by , i got rid of all my metal shit , and started buying Aphex Twin albums.

Thank you Richard.

Guest Masonic Boom

Is there another thread on this topic, because I swear I've answered this before, but I can't find my answer on here.

Or maybe it was another forum, I dunno.

Early 90s, I think. I was a shoegazer and into lots of floaty stuff like Cocteaus and Slowdive and Seefeel and SAW85-92 just really fit in with that aesthetic perfectly. I think the first time I was aware of Mr. Twin as a person was an article in Select where they were trying to interview him because they wanted to put him on their "cool list" and he wouldn't come to the phone because he was too busy playing videogames and his housemate was all "Nah, not even his mum has a chance of getting him on the phone when he's playing" and he was in the background shouting "you're going down!" I just loved his attitude. (not to mention he looked so adorable in his pre-beard snotty nosed brat phase. I've always had a thing for gingers...)

Guest ruiagnelo

I don't really remember. It was around 2005, i was 14 years old and obsessed with ambient techno (IDM too, but mostly ambient techno). Exploring discogs and searching for albums similar to Bytes, i found SAW 85-92, got it, but somehow lost it without giving a first listen. I started listening to SAW II instead and that made me come back to the first volume, which was mindblowing for me at that time. Then i got the Analogue Bubblebath volumes, which still remain some of my favorite works by RDJ.

i feel sorry for you young kids. You didn't get to go through the slow discovery of aphex like me. The interviews, the mystery, the lies, the home made equipment, the magazines and small newsgroups being the only place for the information to trickle through. The constant surprise. Everything is so immediate and already hashed over endlessly now

Guest Calx Sherbet

It was a bit random.

I used to be this "Metal-Teenager" , i wore Korn , and Slipknot t-shirts to school , worshiped Satan for a while, and I didn't have any interest in Electronic music. One day (at the age of 12) i was browsing 02's internet (looking for pictures of Cornwall for a school project) , i came across a very weird image (I Care Because You Do Cover) , it intrigued me , i was fascinating by the depth and meaning of that self-portrait (I didn't know who that guy was/nor did i knew it was a music album cover) , about a week later i saw the album on the store , and obviously i brought it. Came home , put it on the stereo .. and .... Acrid Avid Jam Shred BEGINS!!! , i didn't think anything of it 'till the 3.50 mark , as soon as that melody starting playing on my headphones , i smiled like i've never smiled before , that was the exact moment where my "emo-metal" era died , i was not an angry teenager anymore , i was an AFX fan.

As the weeks pass by , i got rid of all my metal shit , and started buying Aphex Twin albums.

Thank you Richard.

thank your school!

gijoe.jpg

but it's too bad you started to hate what you once loved

on the bus in 10th grade. it was 7:30 in the morning on the way to school, and i was basically half asleep.

anyways, my old friend who sat across the aisle from me decided to show me what he was listening to. the first thing he played for me was IZ-US.

needless to say, i was like shit!!!!! :wtf: :wtf: was awoken immediately, and became instantly overwhelmed with boundless amounts of energy.

he also played DJ Shadow and RJD2 for the first times on this specific bus ride.

been hooked ever since yo.

Guest Masonic Boom

I remember Select magazine. I would love to see a pdf of one. Or buy one on ebay

Ha! I got a big box of them in my closet. I'll sell you them for a tenner. However, they're only post-97 so it's the sucky era.

Actually, I do think that you have a point - that something has been lost in this era of instant information. The way that music and information used to come separately, and not always in the same order, in the old days. Like, I would get mixtapes in the post off friends and have no idea what was on them, or anything about the artists, and the slow process of discovery. And the opposite way round, of reading about stuff in magazines (Melody Maker was notorious for this - writing up cover stories about artists that didn't even have record contracts, so there was no way you could hear them)

These days, you instantly have EVERYTHING you could ever hope to know about a band, all mapped out on MySpace and Wikipedia. I guess it makes me understand more why people want to create this Tuss-like veil of secrecy around things. Make it more like it used to be, where you had to accept or not accept, without all the research. Sometimes these days, getting into a band feels like researching a school report, the amount of information that comes in an instant.

Early 90s, I think. I was a shoegazer and into lots of floaty stuff like Cocteaus and Slowdive and Seefeel and SAW85-92 just really fit in with that aesthetic perfectly. I think the first time I was aware of Mr. Twin as a person was an article in Select where they were trying to interview him because they wanted to put him on their "cool list" and he wouldn't come to the phone because he was too busy playing videogames and his housemate was all "Nah, not even his mum has a chance of getting him on the phone when he's playing" and he was in the background shouting "you're going down!" I just loved his attitude. (not to mention he looked so adorable in his pre-beard snotty nosed brat phase. I've always had a thing for gingers...)

I can remember that, I think it mentioned he was playing Elite or something. Thought it was in the NME (only because I used to read that shitrag and not Select) but I'm probably wrong.

Guest Masonic Boom

I can remember that, I think it mentioned he was playing Elite or something. Thought it was in the NME (only because I used to read that shitrag and not Select) but I'm probably wrong.

You might well be right about the magazine and the game. My memory of the late 80s/early 90s is, erm, patchy to say the best (as they say about the 60s, "if you remember it, you weren't there...") Not that I was "there" mind you.

Archived