IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Bullitt - 8/10: really really enjoyed this! never watch that much of those 70s detective/crime flicks so i don't have a reference, but this felt totally contemporary! what other films like this should i check out?

edit: the title is spelled with a double "t"

Just about any Steve McQueen film... definitely check out the Getaway.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like Steve McQueen but I always thought Bullitt was a bit boring; maybe it was because growing up in the SF bay area I saw it a lot on TV.

I just watched I Heart Huckabees. Being a David O. Russell fan, I never watched this as people saying it sucked and reports of his tyrannical behavior on the set gave me the impression it was a disaster. I don't know what I was worried about; it's a lot of fun. I'll always be mystified by why Alexander Payne got anointed the best young director of his group and David O. Russell got ignored. Imo Payne had one good film (Election) and several boring ones (About Schmidt, Sideways), whereas Russell made a string of really fun ones (Flirting with Disaster, Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees). Not to mention the hack Wes Anderson who also gets more cred than Russell. Ah well.

Akira, alywas a thorough enjoyment to watch. However the English dubbing is terrible, normally I have watched in jap/eng sub.

Another Anime which on several levels works as a modern rework of Akira is Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent, a modern masterpiece IMO which also deals with the imminet fall of a metropolis by some uknown psychic force.

Once you unravel all the mysteries and characters, it works like a coupling of Akira and Lynch.

I really like Steve McQueen but I always thought Bullitt was a bit boring; maybe it was because growing up in the SF bay area I saw it a lot on TV.

I just watched I Heart Huckabees. Being a David O. Russell fan, I never watched this as people saying it sucked and reports of his tyrannical behavior on the set gave me the impression it was a disaster. I don't know what I was worried about; it's a lot of fun. I'll always be mystified by why Alexander Payne got anointed the best young director of his group and David O. Russell got ignored. Imo Payne had one good film (Election) and several boring ones (About Schmidt, Sideways), whereas Russell made a string of really fun ones (Flirting with Disaster, Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees). Not to mention the hack Wes Anderson who also gets more cred than Russell. Ah well.

Have you seen Citizen Ruth? It's one of the best satire's of the last 15 years and is directed by Alexander Payne. Personally, I find Payne to be more interesting as a filmmaker.

I remember when it came out, but I missed it it. It doesn't surprise me to hear it's good, as I sort of separate Payne's work into pre-Schmidt and post-Schmidt. I really loved election but I couldn't even make it through About Schmidt. It's like he suddenly got all Stephen King - schmaltzy, and he needs a good editor.

Fargo - 9/10 - Rewatched on blu ray... I meant to watch it with the DP commentary but ended up forgetting to turn them on after the opening scene engulfed me. I'll try again tomorrow.

Pontypool - 8/10 - One of the better zombie films I have seen as of late... very fresh in that it is a thinker, not a slasher. It was pretty damn tasteful too for today's standards. I need to give it another watch.

Obsessed - 4/10 - Watched this with the girlfriend. Hollywood 101.

The Silence - 9/10 - All around excellent film in typical Bergman fashion.

Finally got around to watching 28 Weeks Later.

What a wall bangingly stupid film. Those fucking kids! I love how they managed to sneak past the entire military force stationed outside the quarantine area as if it was nothing. And they get spotted on the way out but still manage to get half way across London on a moped for fucks sake, before anyone decided to pick them up. So, the virus isn't as big a threat as you're making out if you can wait that long I suppose.

Actually, the whole family seems to be cursed with making stupid decisions.

Mum: Let's try and save the stupid kid who's gotten us all killed!

Dad: Let's kiss the woman who miraculously survived a mauling at the hands of infected and is in a security lockdown in the medical centre... for some reason. Who the fuck gave this guy an access all areas pass? An utter cunt, that's who.

Girl: "Yeah, let's sneak out of military quarantine to get a photo. LOL"

Boy: Haircut

Why did they decide to bomb the shit out of London, and THEN gas it?

Ugh, poor. Fuck this film.

Stalker makes ME feel like 6/10, I can but give it 10/10. If anything is failing with that movie, its me lol

In the last days I've seen a few entertainng movies such as:

Terminator, Salvation: 4/10. Makes this legend crumble and beg for salvaging death

Star trek: 6/10. Chekov is great, Leonard Nimoy is awesome, actually the cast is quite great. They actually play most of the time in comparison to most blockbuster movies I've seen these last days. I don't like all the action though. It makes it too childish. Story is ok I guess, despite the clicheist screwing-with-time plot.

300: 5/10 I've seen it before once. Lol, suck a Manowar movie. If you watch it with good company it goes as far as 9/10

Wolverine: 5/10 Wolverine, the character is the most awesome of X-men. The actor and his brother in the film were both good, the story, other characters and all is however ***

Guest Smuckers

The Hurt Locker. 5/5. Saw ity on Rotten Tomatoes yesterday with a 97% rating so downloaded it. It's a film following three bomb techs in Iraq. Watch it.

Guest abreaktor

its a very physical movie. oddly enough, directed by a woman. i watched it two times, and i would recommend it even to people who are not into this kind of movies.

Guest beatfanatic

The Hurt Locker - 9/10 - Yes! Casual war movies are the best.

Hollow Man 2 - 1/10 - Fuck.

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus 0/10 - Fuck. I mean, FUCK!

wtf!!! they made a second one?? That blows my mind because the first one was horrible.

The Hurt Locker - 9/10 - Yes! Casual war movies are the best.

Hollow Man 2 - 1/10 - Fuck.

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus 0/10 - Fuck. I mean, FUCK!

wtf!!! they made a second one?? That blows my mind because the first one was horrible.

The sequel starres none other than Christian Slater. I thought it was going to be mildly entertaining like the original with lots of killings and so on but it was just boring.

The Wrestler - 8/10 - I enjoyed this a lot more then I thought I would. Rourke played the part superbly but it seemed Aronofsky still has his fetishes that take away from the realism the film worked so hard to build.

Rourke 10/10

Aronofsky 6/10

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

there is absolutely no way hurt locker can live up the insane hype, but i'll give it a try eventually.

I didn't think the hurt locker was all that, but then I'm a twat

i was very underwhelmed by it too.

don't believe the hype.

you guys are nuts, hurt locker is a great film

it might be getting a lot of hype now, but when it was released it was dumped into like two theaters and ignored

Guest Smuckers

I was completely unaware of Hurt Locker before I saw it on Rotten Tomatoes, don't even know if was releases at UK cinemas. Apart from seeing it with a 97% rating, I was watching without much expectation. Only the second new film I've seen in the last three years, the other being Moon, which is rad too.

Guest viscosity

Fargo - 9/10 - Rewatched on blu ray... I meant to watch it with the DP commentary but ended up forgetting to turn them on after the opening scene engulfed me. I'll try again tomorrow.

Pontypool - 8/10 - One of the better zombie films I have seen as of late... very fresh in that it is a thinker, not a slasher. It was pretty damn tasteful too for today's standards. I need to give it another watch.

Obsessed - 4/10 - Watched this with the girlfriend. Hollywood 101.

The Silence - 9/10 - All around excellent film in typical Bergman fashion.

anything else you could suggest that is like Pontypool? i liked that it relied more on the viewers imagination to transmit horror, rather then showing it upfront

Archived