• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Serious Man

2/98

I almost fell asleep, this movie is seriously dull

the synopsis should read "watch a jews' life fall apart in front of him"

I like the Coen bros. but not this

You must be a Big Lebowski type of Coen fan or you were just severely distracted for that film is far from dull. The Coen's like to beat up on characters so any of their films could be labeled with such a synopsis, just fill in the proper pronoun. In addition, if that is all you could draw from the film that's a sad shame.

Be out in a minute!

Guest Fishtank

A Serious Man

2/98

I almost fell asleep, this movie is seriously dull

the synopsis should read "watch a jews' life fall apart in front of him"

I like the Coen bros. but not this

You must be a Big Lebowski type of Coen fan or you were just severely distracted for that film is far from dull. The Coen's like to beat up on characters so any of their films could be labeled with such a synopsis, just fill in the proper pronoun. In addition, if that is all you could draw from the film that's a sad shame.

Be out in a minute!

I think I would have liked it more if the main character had a mental breakdown and starting killing people, or something like that

his reaction to everything was the same, he never really broke down and then it just ends with no clear conclusion

Well it ended very much like No Country did, but I'm sure the random acts of violence tickled you to liking it more than this film. And since when has any Coen film ended with a clear conclusion? I'm not trying to pick a fight, or play the elitist role, but you are hating on this film for all the wrong reasons... you are basically hating on it for being a Coen film... it's Coen 101 minus the violence.

Idiocracy - 2/10

I really want to give it a 0, but it's a film that intends to be incredibly retarded.

The premise isn't completely merit-less; a future in which the stupid have prevailed and society has deteriorated to a cataclysmic level. But it's direction is in the wrong place. The world is overrun with advertising (fair enough), but all recognisable corporations are now in the sex industry? Gatorade replaces water? Everyone's retarded to an infuriating, almost offensive, degree? It wears thin within the first 15 mins, and then just sticks with it.

The protagonist, an average Joe time-traveller, goes through various scrapes that amount to nothing and eventually is given the task of saving the future. And not to give it away but, after a little more silly and annoying adversity, he does... sort of.

It's really bad. But it's supposed to be bad? But it's not bad in a good way. It's not well considered and constructed.

I have a feeling the writer may have had a better film in the core of it, but was made to run with the three primary jokes. Sex is funny. Stupid people are funny... Wait, there's isn't actually a third joke.

For shame.

0/10

Idiocracy - 2/10

I really want to give it a 0, but it's a film that intends to be incredibly retarded.

The premise isn't completely merit-less; a future in which the stupid have prevailed and society has deteriorated to a cataclysmic level. But it's direction is in the wrong place. The world is overrun with advertising (fair enough), but all recognisable corporations are now in the sex industry? Gatorade replaces water? Everyone's retarded to an infuriating, almost offensive, degree? It wears thin within the first 15 mins, and then just sticks with it.

The protagonist, an average Joe time-traveller, goes through various scrapes that amount to nothing and eventually is given the task of saving the future. And not to give it away but, after a little more silly and annoying adversity, he does... sort of.

It's really bad. But it's supposed to be bad? But it's not bad in a good way. It's not well considered and constructed.

I have a feeling the writer may have had a better film in the core of it, but was made to run with the three primary jokes. Sex is funny. Stupid people are funny... Wait, there's isn't actually a third joke.

For shame.

0/10

yeesh really?

7/10

I'd have to see it again it's been 2 years at least. Maybe his review fucked with me in the short run. I'll stretch to an 8 maybe but I guess I'd have to re-examine it. Who the fuck cares actually my point is that numbers aside the movie is definitely worth a watch.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Alone in the Wilderness - One for joshier and ET. 7/10

Titicut Follies - Only Wiseman doc. I've seen so far. 10/10

Le Poulet - 8/10

Pretty Poison (1968) - Sorta similar setup to Badlands but def. not in the same league. Interesting story, good performances. 6.5/10

Sympathy for the Devil - Nicely shot but I fell asleep watching this. Sorry, JLG. 4/10

3000 Miles from Graceland - Never found Courtney Cox appealing before this. Could of done with more Elvis and less Nu-Metal. 6.8/10

Coldblooded - Enjoyable pap. 6/10

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Haven't read the book since I was very young. The only thing I can remember is that it features a fox and some farmers. Didn't feel very Dahl, isn't one of Wes Anderson's best either but whatever I still liked it and I'll watch it again tomorrow with my sisters. 7.5/10

Dan Akroyd Unplugged on UFOs - I don't even know what to make of this. It's kind of sad seeing him in this tacky presentation. Some interesting clips, some ridiculous. It's worth watching to see his face after the film maker/interviewer calls him something like one of the greatest minds in our world at this time.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights - Excellent. 8/10

Guest Al Hounos

Idiocracy was a 9/10. However there were plenty of otherwise intelligent people that thought they got it but really didn't, like our friend Gary C.

Guest Fishtank

Well it ended very much like No Country did, but I'm sure the random acts of violence tickled you to liking it more than this film. And since when has any Coen film ended with a clear conclusion? I'm not trying to pick a fight, or play the elitist role, but you are hating on this film for all the wrong reasons... you are basically hating on it for being a Coen film... it's Coen 101 minus the violence.

I didn't really hate the movie, I think it was just really boring to me

I liked the bratty kids and the annoying daughter character, I just wish it was more eventful and the main character was more dynamic

You're right, I guess they like the vague ending theme

and Idiocracy was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen

which is why I was so disappointed by Extract, that was a dull movie that was bad

Guest Fishtank

The House of the Devil

6/117

very dull, every generic horror cliche and then some

but I guess it was meant to be that way

again I have a problem with the pacing of the movie

it builds up for about an hour then lets you see what you wanted to see and it's all expected

then the protagonist escapes within an inch of her life

then you get a mediocre twist for an ending

BLAH I say

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

shutter island wanted to be a film where you rewatch it and see all the clues you missed. unfortunately it has no subtly at all so you know the twist even from the trailer and spend the entire film hoping its not so. still an enjoyable film, visually stunning, great tension mood. 6/10 as is fatally flawed

Big Fan - 9.5/10

Year Zero - 8/10 - It was funny and entertaining , but i would never have pay to see it ..

The Fourth Kind - 10/10 - Holy Shit , scared the shit out of me , Reminds of the Good Old X-Files ..

Forgot to Add .. - The Movie is not perfect (And the "Actual Footage" is obviously not real)and i knew that before watching it , but it does the Job of creating that Scary Alien Atmosphere the X-Files perfected back in the 90's ..

Big Fan - 9.5/10

Year Zero - 8/10 - It was funny and entertaining , but i would never have pay to see it ..

The Fourth Kind - 10/10 - Holy Shit , scared the shit out of me , Reminds of the Good Old X-Files ..

Forgot to Add .. - The Movie is not perfect (And the "Actual Footage" is obviously not real)and i knew that before watching it , but it does the Job of creating that Scary Alien Atmosphere the X-Files perfected back in the 90's ..

Okay I don't want to give the Movie A Perfect Score .. 9/10 .. Big Fan Was Better

I put on Batman Returns last night because I remember thinking this was the best Batman movie ever. But it wasn't. I just ruined my childhood memories. The best thing about this movie is Christopher Walken and Danny DeVito.

5/10

I put on Batman Returns last night because I remember thinking this was the best Batman movie ever. But it wasn't. I just ruined my childhood memories. The best thing about this movie is Christopher Walken and Danny DeVito.

5/10

And Michelle Pfeiffer dude! And a lot other things too imo.

Archived