IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackmail is My Life (1968) 8/10 - Can't beat Fukasaku's early gangster flicks. He even throws in homages to Suzuki's 'Tokyo Drifter', although things never get as weird as in a Suzuki film. Loses a few points for overuse of the freeze frame.

World without Thieves - 2/10 - Bored me to tears.

The Fourth Kind - 4/10

How can anyone think that the so-called 'real footage' in this movie is actually real? I had to calm my friends down while watching it and tell them that it wasn't real in any way possible.

Anyway, there were one decent shock and the rest was just boring.

is the whole film found footage aka blair witch genre? I cant help it, I like watching these... is it 4/10 watchable or 4/10 awful?

The Fourth Kind - 4/10

How can anyone think that the so-called 'real footage' in this movie is actually real? I had to calm my friends down while watching it and tell them that it wasn't real in any way possible.

is the whole film found footage aka blair witch genre? I cant help it, I like watching these... is it 4/10 watchable or 4/10 awful?

It's watchable at a mere hour and a half long, but prepare for quite a few of these :facepalm: I actually think the film would have been better without the beyond poor pseudo-docu crap.

The Fourth Kind - 4/10

No, every now and then they show 'real footage' on the left side of the screen, and then on the right side they show the exact same scene but with actors. Come to think of it, it makes absolutely no sense. Only if you believe that the footage on the left side of is the real deal could it be a tiny bit scary but it comes off so incredibly fake that you have to a gullible fool to believe it's real.

There are af few good cheap scares but I wouldn't waste time and/or money on it.

Guest Al Hounos

Che - Maybe a little too ambitious, maybe it's what a bio of Che deserves - either way, it's pushing 5 hours. I watched both parts in one evening, lol. 8/10

Grizzly Man - I love how Herzog can draw so much meaning out of things we would otherwise dismiss or overlook. I would've just dismissed this bear guy as crazy, which he clearly is, but Herzog pushes us past the guy's manic, zealous and irritatingly effeminate chattering about 'his' bears to show us a complex and interesting person underneath. 9/10

Videodrome - sorry, didn't get it guys. maybe it was the 39C fever. ??/10

Tokyo Sonata - What a beautiful, sad film. A family whose members are so consumed with playing out their respective roles that they forget to actually love and communicate with one another. Also, I was surprised how much the cinematography and piano themes reminded me of All About Lily Chou-Chou. Anyone who liked that should watch this. 10/10

Che - Maybe a little too ambitious, maybe it's what a bio of Che deserves - either way, it's pushing 5 hours. I watched both parts in one evening, lol. 8/10

the first 1 is great and captivated my attention throughout, i found the 2nd pretty boring and plodded along for ages.

Grizzly Man - I love how Herzog can draw so much meaning out of things we would otherwise dismiss or overlook. I would've just dismissed this bear guy as crazy, which he clearly is, but Herzog pushes us past the guy's manic, zealous and irritatingly effeminate chattering about 'his' bears to show us a complex and interesting person underneath. 9/10

yeah Herzog is drawn to stories of obsession and obssessive types, i guess since he is one.

i'd agree with your scoring... great film!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

did someone review girl with the dragon tattoo yet? playing down the hill. worth the walk and $6?

saw up in the air the other night it was ok but i haven't thought about it enough to give it a rating

Tesis/Thesis

A Spanish thriller/drama about Snuff. It's from 1996 and it hadn't aged well at all. It looked like crap and the music sounded like crap. The story was ok but a bit of a mess.

5/10

did someone review girl with the dragon tattoo yet? playing down the hill. worth the walk and $6?

it's really awful

abused goth hacker, sounds when windows appear on the computer screen, facepalm galore throughout.

godammnit i don't remember the last decent film that came out in the cinema. they certainly haven't shown anything good down the hill recently. ghost writer? lol

thanks eugene

I bought the girl with the dragon tattoo (book) and it's funny because it seems to support the stereotype of Scandinavians as dry and vanilla people. For a murder whodunit it's pretty polite and politically correct.

Guest Gary C

Alice in Wonderland - 4/10

Was utterly uninterested after 20 minutes and didn't pay it any attention again. The Cheshire Cat was done really well though. It seemed the only thing that was because everything else stank.

Guest Backson

wow, you guys hate everything.

next time there's a popular hollywood film out, its probably best if you don't go see it.

just saying.

Guest Z_B_Z

next time there's a popular hollywood film out, its probably best if you don't go see it.

just saying.

well, lets be honest. most popular hollywood films are shit.

Guest beatfanatic

yeah I havent seen anything good lately. I saw "Crazy Heart" couple of weeks ago which was allright. It was this years "The Wrestler" but I liked Wrestler a lot more.

Jeff Bridges was really good though but the story seemed pretty cliched specially how quickly things resolved at the end.

Going to see "The White Ribbon" tomorrow, heard only good things about it.

Guest Z_B_Z

Jeff Bridges was really good though but the story seemed pretty cliched specially how quickly things resolved at the end.

my thoughts as well. the end just seemed a little too neat and tidy, especially considering what a massive fuckup the guy was.

just saying.

actually not true. the response to 2012 was really positive on here because we expected cliches and action and it delivered. our problems usually is we go in expecting too much.

tell us what you liked recently?

i missed greenzone but i'm sure that was a popcorn movie. everything else out lately seems like it can wait for dvd or netflix instant

just saying.

well, lets be honest. most popular hollywood films are shit.

Indeed, simple films, with not so simple budgets, made for simple minded people. I wouldn't mind these films as much if their budget could somehow glorify the quality of output, but sadly that's not how it works. You see these other directors, whom when given a budget that is 1/100th of some of these films, that can create something that actually infuses something into the audience, you can see the heartbeat in the film.

Guest Z_B_Z

the sequals and remakes are completely out of control. the studios are playing it safe wih these projects and its paying off, people see this trash in droves so the cycle continues.. i want a return to the hollywood of the 70s, where directors and studios took more chances instead of just playing it safe all the time. i know its a business and everything but why does everything have to be so cynically calculated?

Archived