IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WhoNeedsElectricity

JSA by Chan-Wook Park. Pleasantly surprised by this one. But then again, I am a pretty big Kang-ho Song fan, so I went into it hoping I would like it.

Guest Z_B_Z

check out 'africa addio' next. that ones relatively extreme. a lot of controversy surrounded it at the time of its release because they film a man getting shot and killed.. jacopetti and prosperi were certainly exploitatative, but they made some interesting films. also check out 'addio zio tom'. not a documentary but still a very extreme film.

also, a lot of the mondo cane stuff was staged

check out 'africa addio' next. that ones relatively extreme. a lot of controversy surrounded it at the time of its release because they film a man getting shot and killed.. jacopetti and prosperi were certainly exploitatative, but they made some interesting films. also check out 'addio zio tom'. not a documentary but still a very extreme film.

My uni library has "Africa Addio" but I'm not allowed to view it because it's "too explicit". I'm determined to get my hands on it though, and "the Killing of America"

Shooter - FUCKING LOL/10

This is one of my favorite terrible films of recent memory. A truly beautifully crafted bad film. Danny Glover's strange, tummy tingling speech impediment, like the dude had been starving, staring at a juicy steak, his salivary glands erupting in envy. The abrupt changes in scenery... one moment we are city level, then to the forest we go, whoooops back to the city, nope lets head back to the mountains but this time not just any ordinary mountains... we want large snow-topped mountains in some remote location, and we are to be wearing our Sundays best! (Was very reminiscent of the famous Cliffhanger scene where Gabe Walker is scaling the mounting in a tanktop) The plot holes it was evidently aware of but still stood strong, confident in it's endeavors. I could go on but it's getting late... Plus, at least to me, it holds the award for most profound titty tease of 2009.

Slightly NSFW

crfshootermkvsnapshot00.jpg

crfshootermkvsnapshot00.jpg

Guest AcrossCanyons

Been working my way through Breaking Bad (online unfortunately, don't have the right TV channels :( )

on episode 6 next. I think this is the best show on tv right right now - actually, I KNOW this is the best show on tv right now. Possibly ever?

Walt reminds me of my old man so much (minus the meth... I hope). Brilliant TV.

Guest beatfanatic

Cooking With Stella - 4/10

It just reinforces the stereotype that if you go to India, everyone will rip you off.

I just saw Alice in Wonderland on imax and was pleasantly surprised, especially since I consider myself a Tim Burton hater. It wasn't without its flaws for sure, but I think I enjoyed it more than Avatar. Acting was strong all around, both Helena Bonham Carter and Crispin Glover, who I normally dislike, did fine jobs. The effects were mostly very well done. 8/10

JSA by Chan-Wook Park. Pleasantly surprised by this one. But then again, I am a pretty big Kang-ho Song fan, so I went into it hoping I would like it.

I love this film. The English language bits are somewhat cringeworthy as they try to act dramatic but can't emphasize words in English well at all, which is a lol that pulls you out of the drama. Other than that it's a great film.

Africa Addio is insane. The poaching scene fucked my world up. They also made a movie in the 60's called "women of world", which is a lighthearted doc about.... well. women of the world.

Guest Z_B_Z

Africa Addio is insane. The poaching scene fucked my world up. They also made a movie in the 60's called "women of world", which is a lighthearted doc about.... well. women of the world.

yeah, the sheer amount of animals they show being slaughtered is kind of sickening. i saw woman of the world but dont remember much of it. i used to own the whole mondo cane boxset and i really regret selling it. one of the better dvd releases ive ever owned.

BU3002DVD_m.jpg

I just saw Alice in Wonderland on imax and was pleasantly surprised, especially since I consider myself a Tim Burton hater. It wasn't without its flaws for sure, but I think I enjoyed it more than Avatar. Acting was strong all around, both Helena Bonham Carter and Crispin Glover, who I normally dislike, did fine jobs. The effects were mostly very well done. 8/10

I'm surprised by the high rating... you didn't find it overly languid/apathetic script wise? Compared to the original it was nothing but a bloviating mass of eye candy... not that I didn't mind the eye candy, it was done well and was the only element that kept me somewhat interested. The rating just seems bit a jaded since I still remember you giving Days of Heaven a 6/10 :tongue:

Tokyo Gore Police

Oh my fucking god. Absolutely fucking hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYzEmzGL60

Haha, great film. The finger cannon scene had me in hysterics!

I took it round to a friends last weekend, his girlfriend and our other friend (who's a massive gay) watched it. She couldn't handle watching it anymore and went upstairs, our gay friend found it amazing and hilarious. These days we regularly schedule gore nights specifically for these films. Think Robogeisha is next up.

Watching "Addio Zio Tom" now. quite disgusted

nothing but a bloviating mass of eye candy...

well, now that you put it that way... :emotawesomepm9: I guess I've just reached "old man limbo" where I can find a film with little to say as entertaining as a film that's trying hard to say something...that, or I put a severe handicap on pretension. In terms of Days of Heaven, there was a time in my life when I might have liked it a lot, I get that it was all poetical in a Faulkner/Steinbeck-crossed-with-Andrew-Wyeth's "Christina's world" kind of way, and had some good Depression Era details, and Richard Gere and Sam Shephard looked really handsome, but it just bored me. Malick annoys me a bit because he's like Herzog but without a sense of humor. I can't look at pretty wheat all day. I think "There Will be Blood" was a better film with a similar feel and time period.

When it comes to Alice in Wonderland, I wasn't expecting much, so it was a good surprise. I could pick it apart - the plotline of "retrieve the vorpal sword" was uninspiring, I really didn't like Depp, the dialogue was often incomprehensible if you weren't familiar with terms used in the book, the final battle was cookie-cutter Hollywood, and they made missteps like making the red queen more sympathetic than she should have been while the white queen was completely bland. But whatever, I liked it. The effects were fantastic and I thought bested most of the effects in Avatar. Would it have been better if directed by in-his-prime Gilliam? Probably. I still enjoyed watching it (in 3d on imax) more than watching Days of Heaven....so...

Guest Z_B_Z

Watching "Addio Zio Tom" now. quite disgusted

im not surprised. it was filmed in haiti and (surprise surprise) the filmmakers ethics were once again called into question for exploiting the local population as extras. a lot of critics called the film racist as well, and as i recall, some of the scenes could be interpreted as such. i dont know, i need to watch it again. its been a while.

nothing but a bloviating mass of eye candy...

well, now that you put it that way... :emotawesomepm9: I guess I've just reached "old man limbo" where I can find a film with little to say as entertaining as a film that's trying hard to say something...that, or I put a severe handicap on pretension. In terms of Days of Heaven, there was a time in my life when I might have liked it a lot, I get that it was all poetical in a Faulkner/Steinbeck-crossed-with-Andrew-Wyeth's "Christina's world" kind of way, and had some good Depression Era details, and Richard Gere and Sam Shephard looked really handsome, but it just bored me. Malick annoys me a bit because he's like Herzog but without a sense of humor. I can't look at pretty wheat all day. I think "There Will be Blood" was a better film with a similar feel and time period.

When it comes to Alice in Wonderland, I wasn't expecting much, so it was a good surprise. I could pick it apart - the plotline of "retrieve the vorpal sword" was uninspiring, I really didn't like Depp, the dialogue was often incomprehensible if you weren't familiar with terms used in the book, the final battle was cookie-cutter Hollywood, and they made missteps like making the red queen more sympathetic than she should have been while the white queen was completely bland. But whatever, I liked it. The effects were fantastic and I thought bested most of the effects in Avatar. Would it have been better if directed by in-his-prime Gilliam? Probably. I still enjoyed watching it (in 3d on imax) more than watching Days of Heaven....so...

Have you seen Jan Svankmeyer's Alice? I love that film.

Guest ezkerraldean

jesus camp - pretty funny how Deep South fundamentalists apparently intend to turn the USA into another Talibanesque Afghanistan

jesus camp - pretty funny how Deep South fundamentalists apparently intend to turn the USA into another Talibanesque Afghanistan

I found that film really unsettling.

Archived