IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

possessed bug ridden homeless people,

high point of the movie for sure! the score for the prince of darkness is awesome, i just got a copy of it on vinyl. I was really pleased when i picked up Escape from NY on vinyl they had a giant picture of Carpenter's synthesizer studio with a full kit list underneath.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pulsewarrior

fando y lis - 8/10. absurd, surreal, disjointed, visceral, a great watch. jodorowski was a maniac.

I saw this once in a cinema in poland with polish subtitles (original language being spanish of course). It was gloriously baffling.

yep. it's really fanastic to watch, just like his other films...maximal surrealism.

Guest pulsewarrior

last year at marienbad - 8/10. this was really hard for me to get a grip on because I was half asleep (plus it's famous for not making much sense). what a goddamn beautifully shot movie though. the cinematography is astounding.

once he got to the 90s he was out of steam. maybe one or two good films post 80s but thats it.

This is very sad but true. They Live is the pinnacle for me and that was 88. I do enjoy In the Mouth of Madness, but that is the only 90s film he made that is any good. Body Bags was decent but only a short and I never saw Cigarette Burns or Pro Life. I want to hold out hope for his new projects in the works but I'm not holding my breath.

once he got to the 90s he was out of steam. maybe one or two good films post 80s but thats it.

This is very sad but true. They Live is the pinnacle for me and that was 88. I do enjoy In the Mouth of Madness, but that is the only 90s film he made that is any good. Body Bags was decent but only a short and I never saw Cigarette Burns or Pro Life. I want to hold out hope for his new projects in the works but I'm not holding my breath.

I liked Cigarette Burns. Pro-life wasn't as good, but it was watchable, but I haven't seen either in a couple years so....

I really like Memoirs of an Invisible man, i think it's one of his most underrated later works. I like it a lot better than Mouth of madness (which has some cool parts but a cheeseball ending)

Guest Z_B_Z

eh, maybe ill give it another shot sometime...

cigarette burns is probably the closest thing youll get to a decent latter day carpenter film. pro life wasnt as good but i thought it was fucking hilarious (in a good sense)

I count Memoirs of an ivisible man with Chevy Chase in the same 'Trilogy' as Groundhog Day (bill murray), and Delerious (john candy). 3 very well executed and very funny supernatural movies that are basically popular 80s comedian vehicles that you would never see made today. They attempt them sometimes (ie: Click with adam sandler) but most of the time they are shit.

Guest abusivegeorge

Nil by Mouth - Gary Oldman

Heavy as fuck film about living in the drug underworld of England. Ray Winstone. Very violent.

10/10

I count Memoirs of an ivisible man with Chevy Chase in the same 'Trilogy' as Groundhog Day (bill murray), and Delerious (john candy). 3 very well executed and very funny supernatural movies that are basically popular 80s comedian vehicles that you would never see made today. They attempt them sometimes (ie: Click with adam sandler) but most of the time they are shit.

what about BIG?!?!?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/

what about BIG?!?!?

woah good point, except Big is more of a drama than any of the above films, it's still a great movie though

Guest AcrossCanyons

since im playing red dead redemption atm im trying to find some good western films to watch.

watch el topo. pretty crazy western film. im not big on westerns in general but this was pretty mental and awesome.

I love Groundhog Day and remember liking Delirious the last time I saw (which was probably about 12 years ago) so I think I'll give Memoirs another shot as it has been a good while.

what about BIG?!?!?

woah good point, except Big is more of a drama than any of the above films, it's still a great movie though

I thought Big balanced the comedy and drama well. If it were made today, it would start Rob Schneider and probably just be a lot of gross out/slapstick kind of stuff and the drama aspects would suffer. God, big studio comedies have become watered down.

and i wouldnt really call tom hanks a comedian

I'd call him a good enough actor that he can do comedy though. Much like Jim Carrey isn't a dramatic actor, but he's made a couple of great dramatic movies.

Guest AcrossCanyons

since im playing red dead redemption atm im trying to find some good western films to watch.

watch el topo. pretty crazy western film. im not big on westerns in general but this was pretty mental and awesome.

lol

lol jodorowsky?

lol

lol jodorowsky?

i haven't seen it yet but your description made me laugh

City Island - 7/10

Once the story strayed away from the useless filler characters that bared no meaning and formulated design , this film got really good. While focused on the strong characters, I sunk in and had a few pretty good LOLs in the process. Andy Garcia and Emily Mortimer were superb together and helped make this a standout film among its genre.

Archived