IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Red Riding Trilogy - 7/10. Pretty good. Rather brutal at times and some of the camera work/post ventured into wank territory as did some of the narration in the 3rd film, but overall a decent story.

Bronson - 7.5/10. Great job by Tom Hardy. Not a lot of variety to his character but he played it well.

Cropsey - 7/10. Worth it for the freaky 70s Geraldo news story on the asylum alone. Fairly well done and even-handed I thought.

Bad Lieutenant, Port of Call: New Orleans - LOL/10. I have no idea what or how to rate this. Still mulling it over.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad Lieutenant, Port of Call: New Orleans - LOL/10. I have no idea what or how to rate this. Still mulling it over.

it was shit.

But it was spectacularly so.

that's nic cage for you.

Cropsey - 7/10. Worth it for the freaky 70s Geraldo news story on the asylum alone. Fairly well done and even-handed I thought.

saw this on netflix the other day and almost watched it. time to add it to the cue..

anyone into a british comedy show from a few years ago called 'snuff box'? ive been watching and rewatching and ill be damned if its not one of the better sketch shows ive seen. pity theres only one season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66aySW4le8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADkpyVWAwQ&feature=related

also watched louis ck's new show. SO much better than that shitty hbo show he had.

it was shit.

But it was spectacularly so.

that's nic cage for you.

I thought it was fucking ace. Solid entertainment.

anyone into a british comedy show from a few years ago called 'snuff box'? ive been watching and rewatching and ill be damned if its not one of the better sketch shows ive seen. pity theres only one season.

Brilliant. Rich Fulcher is my hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66aySW4le8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADkpyVWAwQ&feature=related

It's rick sanchez MD. I must grab this.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Yep it's very good. Shame there probably won't be anything like it on bbc3 any time soon, let alone a second series.

rec - 6/10

rec 2 - 2/10

shakey cam never used to bother me until i saw these movies. even when they're not doing anything, just standing around, the camera is all over the place.

There are some major fails in those movies that really bother me. For instance, there's a scene where they rewind the tape to get a look at one of the infected or something like that and you actually get to see the the tape rewinding. That doesn't make any sense since what you're watching is what they're recording? Teh fuck?

I don't remember that being in the movie. I only saw the first REC, but if I remember correctly, there's just a cut after they say lets rewind, and the next scene begins immediately. :mellow: Maybe you saw some idiot-edit version? Like when the studio pushes the creators to edit in these silly echo-flashback-reminder-sounds from earlier dialogue when it becomes important again.

the original movie is spanish, is there any confusion about thsi???

No? The echo-thing was just an example for studio-pushed post-editing. Squee has seen a version of the film in which they rewind the tape and the scene they are looking at is shown again. I remember it differently (but I could have confused it with the scene in Cloverfield where they do the same and it's definitely not shown again), so I was wondering whether there are multiple versions of the film, other than the odd dub-versions, which Squee probably didn't watch.

i don't know shit :emotawesomepm9:

Guest AcrossCanyons

Watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengence a couple of night ago - no Oldboy, but very good. I found it hard to follow but it might have been because I was tired as sin, gonna have to give it another watch in a more awake state.

The Imaginatorium of Dr. Parnassus - 4/10 It may have been Heaths last appearance in a film but it sure was a shitty one. Even if he hadn't have passed away half way into filming i think it would still suck

Watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengence a couple of night ago - no Oldboy, but very good. I found it hard to follow but it might have been because I was tired as sin, gonna have to give it another watch in a more awake state.

Enjoyed that film... but I would completely avoid watching Lady Vengeance... it really rubbed me wrong... the script was a mess...

love this one

'Exit Through The Gift Shop' is the best documentary I have seen in a long time...

makes 'King of Kong' look like the King of Turds....

the documentary about a Christian haunted house held every year in Cedar Hill Texas, 'Hell House', rules!

and 'Crumb', watch this is you have never seen it...

Do we have a documentary thread? Has anyone seen any interesting documentaries lately?

king of kong is on my list

Saw this. The entire thing is on Youtube.

Consulting your list, Atop.

Do we have a documentary thread? Has anyone seen any interesting documentaries lately?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttq7w-nS2g4

"The film explores the obsession Adolf Hitler had with his own particular vision of what was and was not aesthetically acceptable and how he applied these notions while running the Third Reich. His obsession with art he considered pure, in opposition to the supposedly degenerate avant-garde works by Jewish and Soviet artists, reveals itself to be deeply connected to Hitler's equally subjective and strict ideal of physical beauty and health.

Hitler is shown as an amateur architect who spends a lot of time planning designs of new buildings for the Reich and acquiring paintings and sculptures that reinforce his vision."

I liked Manufactured Landscapes, docu about a photographer documenting ehm.industrial changes to landscapes, the title says it all really. There are some astonishing shots from huuuuuge chinese factory floors and indian (I think)ship graveyards etc. Also the two first quatsi films are pretty great.

The devil came on horseback is good, also about a photographer, but honestly the focus is on the darfur/sudan genoside.

Capturing the Friedmans is a GREAT documentary about a family torn apart by claims of pedophile abuse, a must see if you ask me.

Onibus 174 is another great documentary, this one is about a hostage situation on a bus in Rio de janeiro, lots of footage from the event.

and then there's the "mondo" movie africa addio, what could be considered very racist undercurrents in there, and lots of unsettling footage of human brutality, but I found it very enlightening nontheless. It depicts the chaos arising in Africa after the portugese/british/german/french/whatnot leave the continent. It's rough stuff to watch and there are scenes there that will never leave me. I don't know if I can recomend it, it's dirty and distasteful, but some of the events that are documented give a lot of insight.

Guest Funktion

the fountain: played like a tool video stretched out to feature length, disappointing/10

female convict scorpion series: 8/10

toy story 3: cried my tits off/10

Archived