IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Xenblake

Inside Job (Charles Ferguson)

Documentary explains the 2008 financial crisis and you get to see the actual faces and names of those responsible. I think it is amazing how the director found a way to get these human beings on film saying these particular things. Highest possible recommendation.

....Narrated by Matt Damon... I'll probably still watch this though.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Midnight in Paris - "Woody Allen's return to form" said the critics. I guess what they meant to say was dismal, embarrassing drivel. Owen Wilson was extraordinarily bad. His flimsy laid back delivery is completely at odds with Woody Allen's writing / character and totally fails to pull off frenzied jewish neurosis (which Scarlett Johannsson manages to do pretty well in Vicky Cristina Barcelona (wasn't that Allen's return to form anyway?)). What was the point of this waste of 90 minutes? That things aren't always necessarily better in another "golden" age? The Grass isn't always greener? Nostalgia isn't al its cracked up to be? Is that it? At no point during the writing / production process did anyone stop and say Wait a minute this is total shit? 1 point out of 10 just to see young couples squirming about in their cineman seats and complaining that it wasn't quite the Owen Wilson rom-com they'd paid to see. I heard one girl complaining that there was "too much talking French in it" and that she "couldn't work out what was going on". So another point for that too. If Marion Cotillard wasn't on the screen so much I would've taken a shit on the stage and smeared it all over Owen Wilsons stupid nose with my hands.

2/10

one of my favourite of the year so far. don't know how you couldnt like it

really? it was frightful...actually it was made even worse by this prick siting a few rows behind me who kept laughing out loud in a preposterously over the top way every time another historical figure cropped up, presumably just to let everybody else know that he knew who they were. Really? well done mate ... you've heard of some of the most famous people of the 20th century... good for you.. have a fucking badge spastic. there is no way on earth you could genuinely be laughing that much at the mere appearance of an actor playing Salvador Dali on screen (by the way that Dali, Bunuel, Manray scene was cringe inducingly horrible) - yeah maybe that LOL prick annoyed me more than the drivel on the screen.... but anyway... one of your favourite films of the year ? is it the only film you've watched?

PS: I saw Scoop on the telly a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it

bizarrely i thought scoop was poop. maybe the cinema vs tv / expectation thing happened

i haven't seen that many new films this year. rise of the apes was good. midnight in paris good...drive was shite....can't think of anymore

tree of life is on dvd already so gonna watch that this week finally

InsideJob2.jpg

this man will appear in my nightmares for years and years

Yes. And with no prior context required.

not sure how to read that but sorry - I was talking to the guys that liked the film. If I tell you why he is so scary it would spoil the best part of the movie. so keep bugging me and then I will find a way to explain but not now, need to get some sleep.

Drive 9/10

From the moment it started i felt this was going to be a different breed of movie, The soundtrack instantly pulls you in and makes it claustrophobic, the stoic power of ryan goslings character, the almost anti-script writing where people only say the bare minimum of words to convey a feeling, the rest is done visually and audibly through the great ambient canvas created by cliff martinez. The very brief ultra violence that appears only a handful of times means that it feels real. The movie blew me away and afterwards i couldn't believe what i had just watched, it was so NOT what i was expecting.

See it.

i'm enjoying L'Avventura but wish i'd never watched fucking Lost because i keep being reminded of it watching this, shallow pretty people on an island is the main reason i guess.

Guest Xenblake

InsideJob2.jpg

this man will appear in my nightmares for years and years

Yes. And with no prior context required.

not sure how to read that but sorry - I was talking to the guys that liked the film. If I tell you why he is so scary it would spoil the best part of the movie. so keep bugging me and then I will find a way to explain but not now, need to get some sleep.

Hehe. I was just referring to his unfortunate looking face.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Solaris (Clooney version)

Good. Haven't seen the other version in years but it was a solid remake. Certainly lacking certain aspects but well executed none the less. I felt it was a little bit rushed, although it was still quite slow really so I'm probably just comparing it to the russian one which I think was about an hour longer. I also remember the original was a bit more curious about the nature of the planet and if it was trying to communicate where as this version didn't seem to want to raise those sort of questions

Finally watched Brazil.

9/10

One of the most delightfully fucked up movies I have ever seen. Im gonna have to watch it a few more times to truly get all the ins and outs. The main guy (i know him from Glengarry Glenross) did a fantastic job with the slapstick.

Finally watched Brazil.

9/10

One of the most delightfully fucked up movies I have ever seen. Im gonna have to watch it a few more times to truly get all the ins and outs. The main guy (i know him from Glengarry Glenross) did a fantastic job with the slapstick.

Brazil is amazing almost like a spoof of Metropolis or a parody of bureaucratic capitalism (which is even more appropriate today looking back) but a little flawed with the continuity in bits if your not paying attention however the end of the film is almost as good 2nd time round.

Drive 9/10

From the moment it started i felt this was going to be a different breed of movie, The soundtrack instantly pulls you in and makes it claustrophobic, the stoic power of ryan goslings character, the almost anti-script writing where people only say the bare minimum of words to convey a feeling, the rest is done visually and audibly through the great ambient canvas created by cliff martinez. The very brief ultra violence that appears only a handful of times means that it feels real. The movie blew me away and afterwards i couldn't believe what i had just watched, it was so NOT what i was expecting.

See it.

I share these thoughts on Drive almost identically. The soundtrack is brilliant. I liked Kavinsky a few years ago, but fell out of touch. But the 80s-movie-synth sound is simply perfect in creating a dark and moody aesthetic. Plus, Cliff Martinez is my favourite soundtrack composer, so it's all win from me.

Gosling is brilliant in a relatively easy role to be honest, but he makes toothpick-chewing look cool again. And it's even got Bryan Cranston, Ron Perlman and Christina Hendricks, so there's really no reason not to watch this film.

I had downloaded three films last Saturday afternoon and didn't know which one to watch first, I figured it would be more of a late-night film, but it really didn't matter. I'll hopefully find time to watch it again this weekend, because it's that good.

The same director, Something Something Refn, is responsible for Bronson too, which I'd also highly recommend. He seems to be really talented in creating shocking violence and excellent characterisation in mostly dialogue-free scenes. Tom Hardy really transformed in Bronson, and it seems that Gosling does the same.

Archived