IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Michael Jackson is dead to me, and the rest of the world.

I don't know if you were talking to me Andy. Your inner and outer child are alive and well. We are equal in this fact.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moneyball - 6.5/10 - is it just me or has Brad Pitt completely lost whatever good acting ability he had? At the end during the emotional catharsis payoff when Brad Pitt is crying in the car, i seriously had to stop and go 'oh yeah he's playing a guy whos sad and hes having an emotional moment'. His acting is atrociously mediocre now. I just watched Seven and Twelve Monkeys, holy shit what happened to THAT brad pitt? Jonah hill totally stole the show in Money ball, the movie would have been stronger with anyone besides brad pitt playing the main lead, Patrick Wilson for god's sake. Anybody

edit: this is also why Inglorious fell flat for me anytime the 'basterds' were on screen, mainly because of Pitts inability to act. Tree of Life is something ill probably put off for a very long time because of Pitt as well. Did Jolie just suck his soul out Shang Tsung style?

Moneyball? ouch, that's funny. I really don't believe you at all actually, i remember seeing stuff about Tree of Life saying he did an amazing job but most of the reviews i saw of moneyball talked more about Hill than Pitt for obvious reasons

Guest disparaissant

constantine's sword - 9/10 really good, about the catholic church's history of anti-semitism, how it passed that particular torch to american evangelism and how integrated the latter is with the military but oh my god the scene where he's watching the nuns at auschwitz there to honour gertrude stein was powerful shit. all dressed in black, walking past the electric fence like otherworldly silhouettes... jeez.

presently watching "following sean." i watched "sean" as part of a film class like 6 or 7 years ago, it was a film about a 4 year old kid whose parents are hippies and he just sort of gets interviewed by ralph arlyck. the sequel is what he's up to 30 years later. it's pretty good so far. already made me misty eyed a few times.

Moneyball - 6.5/10 - is it just me or has Brad Pitt completely lost whatever good acting ability he had? At the end during the emotional catharsis payoff when Brad Pitt is crying in the car, i seriously had to stop and go 'oh yeah he's playing a guy whos sad and hes having an emotional moment'. His acting is atrociously mediocre now. I just watched Seven and Twelve Monkeys, holy shit what happened to THAT brad pitt? Jonah hill totally stole the show in Money ball, the movie would have been stronger with anyone besides brad pitt playing the main lead, Patrick Wilson for god's sake. Anybody

edit: this is also why Inglorious fell flat for me anytime the 'basterds' were on screen, mainly because of Pitts inability to act. Tree of Life is something ill probably put off for a very long time because of Pitt as well. Did Jolie just suck his soul out Shang Tsung style?

I agree, Pitt was never very good but he sucks more now.

Guest disparaissant

brad pitt was really good in burn after reading

and as floyd in true romance

and jeffrey goines in 12 monkeys

not that he's a particularly good actor, those were just roles that played to his natural talents. much like keanu reeves in bill and ted. shit actor, perfect role.

brad pitt was really good in burn after reading

and as floyd in true romance

and jeffrey goines in 12 monkeys

not that he's a particularly good actor, those were just roles that played to his natural talents. much like keanu reeves in bill and ted. shit actor, perfect role.

Not sure I would say "really good", but agreed. Don't forget Thelma and Louise

John Carter - 6/10 - A mangled version of Edgar Rice Burrough's classic fantasy tales about a man from earth who ends up on Mars. Some of thew CGI was really cool, especially on the Tharks(the green Martians) and Woola (John Carter's faithful dog-like creature hound). The script was so jumpy and impatient that I had trouble following some of the story that is not in the first novel, "A Princess of Mars." So if you are reading this series, there are major spoilers throughout the film because the scriptwriters felt it necessary to jump ahead and include info from other books in the series, which stinks if you haven't read the other books and are planning to. This will not make enough money and I would be surprised if they can make anymore of these films because of its inevitable failure. I wish films like these were simply made by the directors/screenwriters and not extremely influenced by the audience or what they think we want to see. Very disappointing but as many of you will say, "The trailer and marketing sucked so why did you think it would be good?" The first novel is pretty awesome. I love early fantasy lit. I had high hopes. They were dashed. Thanks for reading.

Guest analogue wings

Chronicle 8/10 - popcorn flick that does everything pretty much right. even has a good fight at the end which never happens nowadays

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Punch-drunk love 9/10

INCREDIBLY underrated PTA film. Wtf guys why did no-one tell me this was so fucking good? I absolutely loved it. It looked beautiful, it sounded great (the music fit so well) and adam sandler was brilliant too. I think my new favourite PTA film and definitely my favourite sandler film.

Miller's crossing

Catching up on some unseen cohen brothers. Beautiful looking, well acted, good story. Solid film. Tommy guns are badass. Albert finney is badass.

Punch-drunk love 9/10

INCREDIBLY underrated PTA film. Wtf guys why did no-one tell me this was so fucking good? I absolutely loved it. It looked beautiful, it sounded great (the music fit so well) and adam sandler was brilliant too. I think my new favourite PTA film and definitely my favourite sandler film.

yeah this movie is amazing. I pretty much love everything PTA does.

Just watched Schizopolis - pretty interesting, plays fast and loose with dialogue and narrative. Soderbergh directed and starred in this one, I think he makes a great comedy actor

a pothead i know would say it's because he doesn't smoke every day anymore.

moneyball: yeah it was alright

true grit: quite liked it

tin tin: fell asleep 10 minutes in. the intro was likable.

I watched the first 30 minutes of Hobo with a Shotgun. NOPE!

That's about as far as I made it into that film too.

Warrior - 7/10 - I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this because it trots out just about every generic heart-string tugging cliche there is. This only works because all the acting is really good. Especially from Hardy and Nolte. Then again it could be because I'm a sucker for underdog stories involving sports. Also, the fight choreography is fun to watch, not really realistic, but fun to watch.

Bronson - 6.5/10 - I think I was on a Tom Hardy kick after watching Warrior. I remember reading some reviews of Refn's Drive (which I liked) where people used the phrase "style over substance". That's ultimately how I'd describe this. In general, I liked the film it just felt like there wasn't much there than an homage to Kubrick. And all the theatricality couldn't mask that it just felt like a collection of scenes.

Guest viscosity

Ok, well I was looking through WATMM trying to find a recently mentioned film, I don't think it has been released yet. It kind of reminded me of 2001 Space Odyssey or some other sci-fi movie. Anyone remember it? Thanks in advance

Archived