IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

someday, I am going to trawl through this thread from page 1 and make a list and watch everything on that list.

cube 2 : Hypercube -- pretty awesome. If Cube is an 8, Cube 2 is a 7. Way better than I expected.

I'm actually watching Cube 3: Cube zero right now. Interesting so far.... We'll see how it holds up.

Cube has one of the best worst lines ever, the one about sticking your nose up other people's assholes and sniffing their business. My sister and I lol'd uncontrollably for five minutes.

Yeah lol. That movie has so many great lines. Cube 3 was fucking terrible though, it had some good ideas. So bad.

Whoever said cube was a 0 fuck you. I swear to god I will sniff your asshole if you say it again.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been meaning to watch Cube for like 15 years. I always used to see the box at Blockbuster, think "that looks cool." Then I'd see what the critics said and it was always negative so I'd let it go. I'll check it out now then.

spot on. i thought tyrannosaur was an outstanding first full-length from considine and can't wait to see more from him... and i think i might have watched biutiful on your recommendation and loved it!

^5, sweetheart.

Apparently, the half-Scotch in my veins runs deep, as my appetite and tolerance for bleak films is quite formidable.

about to watch TYRANnoSAUR

if it's anything like Dead Man's Shoes I'm guessing it will be entertaining and subtly humorous. as well as bleak.

Well, it wasn't entertaining, or humorous really. I like the characters the guy writes, and I like the actors (the guy who plays the Husband)

however I think the bleakness and "slowness" / "post-rock soundtrack" tends to water it down.

i think Considine should focus on Clint Eastwood classic imagery and extreme characterization, as well as faster pacing. I think this movie and many others like it have suffered from a slow pacing that tends to drag scenes out unnecessarily..

7/10. started off great then kind of meandered.

Guest zaphod

21 jump street - could have been good but it meandered into boring action territory. the only movie that pulled off the third act shootout craziness in a comedy was pineapple express, and that only worked because of how over the top it got. still decent though. smarter than average, but there was no reason for this to exist. it always feels that way with these comedies, like everyone involved is going through the motions but doing it at a level just above competent. sort of the attitude i take watching these kinds of films. if i'm going to spend 90 minutes on something pointless, might as well make it smart. but why spend any time on it at all? 5/10

Guest Mirezzi

Was Pineapple Express actually worth watching? I have been afraid of it because I detest both leads.

Guest zaphod

i enjoyed it immensely. you might not. franco was quite likeable and seth rogen playing the straight man actually worked for me. plus danny mcbride was very funny in it. it had a cumulative effect on me where i was laughing at most of the things happening on screen. i'm not sure we have the same taste in comedy though, as i think you liked tropic thunder and the other guys, films i found forgettable and shit, respectively.

Guest Mirezzi

i enjoyed it immensely. you might not. franco was quite likeable and seth rogen playing the straight man actually worked for me. plus danny mcbride was very funny in it. it had a cumulative effect on me where i was laughing at most of the things happening on screen. i'm not sure we have the same taste in comedy though, as i think you liked tropic thunder and the other guys, films i found forgettable and shit, respectively.

What about Your Highness or The Sitter?

Anyhow, I let my guard down heavily for comedies.I loved Role Models, for instance.

I just watched Into the Abyss, speaking of comedies.

Werner Herzog-induced lols / 10.

team america: world police - pupeteering work was great (made by guys of killer clowns from outer space fame!), but as a movie it's just bunch of poop jokes. not really buying the allegories (puppets, GET IT???!?) and all the hollywood beef trey parker has. but it wasn't bad or anything.

ronery.. i'm so ronery

Guest zaphod

Anyhow, I let my guard down heavily for comedies.I loved Role Models, for instance.

didn't see either. i'm not a jonah hill fan and your highness looked terrible.

oh wow im surprised you loved role models, have you checked out the other movies by David Wain like The Ten or Wanderlust ? I think they rank alongside Role Models

The Sitter was bad i thought, Your Highness was atrocious, i can't believe they make shit like that now adays its painful. Pineapple Express (theatrical cut) is good fun, it has some great moments in it like one of the best physical fight scenes in a film ive seen in the better part of a decade but its individual parts are better than the film as a whole. the scenes with Danny Mcbride playing a more effeminate shaven version of his usual Kenny Powers self is worth watching alone. In all his presence in the movie elevates it to something much better than if it were just Franco and Seth Rogan alone.

edit2: do not watch the directors or extended cut of Pineapple, it's a perfect example of how a decent edit can turn something with horrible pacing into something really enjoyable

David Gordon Green who made it seems to have gone totally comedy recently but his earlier films are worth checking out.

I really enjoyed this movie - http://en.wikipedia....tow_(2004_film) parts of it were too intense for me to watch, which usually means a the film is doing a good job of something. It also has an original (i believe) score by Phillip Glass, which at least for me made the Illusionist (a kind of crap film) enjoyable to watch

he made his name originally for doing indie dramatic thrillers, now seems to be cashing huge paychecks shitting out mediocre comedy

edit: i quite enjoyed the other guys, but never understood the love for Tropic, watching it now it seems like a misfire comedy made in 1997, it would make more sense chronologically if it came out before Cable guy, Reality Bites and Zoolander, it seems like a far less accomplished film than all 3 of those

the only 'good' jonah hill movie i've seen in recent memory was Cyrus, where he plays a semi psychotic 30 year old who still lives at home and has an Oedipus complex

Your Highness has several scenes that make me barrel over in laughter but it is mostly just one long joke about bad British accents.

Justin Theroux cracks me up.

James Franco does mostly suck.

Danny McBride kind of sucks sometimes as well. I do enjoy me some Eastbound.

Such darkness on that show.

Almost as dark as Doug Standhope but not quite.

Jonah Hill was pretty fucking great in 21 Jump Street and Tanning Chathum was surprisingly funny, so my expectations were exceeded.

Werner Herzog is an awkward hilarious man at times.

My Son My Son What Have ye done is absurd and I do love it, but damn is it strange. An underlying dark comedy about insanity.

Into The Abyss looks mega sad though.

I guess if you approach anything like it is going to be a comedy, everything is hilarious.

That might be kind of sociopathic behaviour.

Thanks for reading all of this.

#megatopost

Guest zaphod

oh wow im surprised you loved role models, have you checked out the other movies by David Wain like The Ten or Wanderlust ? I think they rank alongside Role Models

The Sitter was bad i thought, Your Highness was atrocious, i can't believe they make shit like that now adays its painful. Pineapple Express (theatrical cut) is good fun, it has some great moments in it like one of the best physical fight scenes in a film ive seen in the better part of a decade but its individual parts are better than the film as a whole. the scenes with Danny Mcbride playing a more effeminate shaven version of his usual Kenny Powers self is worth watching alone. In all his presence in the movie elevates it to something much better than if it were just Franco and Seth Rogan alone.

edit2: do not watch the directors or extended cut of Pineapple, it's a perfect example of how a decent edit can turn something with horrible pacing into something really enjoyable

David Gordon Green who made it seems to have gone totally comedy recently but his earlier films are worth checking out.

I really enjoyed this movie - http://en.wikipedia....tow_(2004_film) parts of it were too intense for me to watch, which usually means a the film is doing a good job of something. It also has an original (i believe) score by Phillip Glass, which at least for me made the Illusionist (a kind of crap film) enjoyable to watch

he made his name originally for doing indie dramatic thrillers, now seems to be cashing huge paychecks shitting out mediocre comedy

edit: i quite enjoyed the other guys, but never understood the love for Tropic, watching it now it seems like a misfire comedy made in 1997, it would make more sense chronologically if it came out before Cable guy, Reality Bites and Zoolander, it seems like a far less accomplished film than all 3 of those

the only 'good' jonah hill movie i've seen in recent memory was Cyrus, where he plays a semi psychotic 30 year old who still lives at home and has an Oedipus complex

have you seen george washington? it's one of the better terrance malick films that malick didn't make. green is apparently remaking suspiria, and he's said that he enjoys doing various genres. i like the eps of eastbound that he directed. you're right about mcbride and that specific scene in his home elevating pineapple express. i hadn't laughed that hard at a movie in a very long time.

'just tryin to get my mutha fuckin scholaship' *bounces exercise ball to rhythm of wigger effeminate cadence*

have not seen it, the remake sounds interesting even though i generally despise modern horror remakes/prequels, but i think i'm probably the only one here who thinks the Thing prequel was a decent attempt

I'm the retard in here, so my opinion counts for nothing, but pineaple express is enjoyable nonsense. One of the funnier low-brow comedies of recent years. I really enjoyed Undertow when I saw it a couple of years back, I didn't know it was by the same director, that kind of blows my mind, totally different films. I see on IMDB that he's directing the remake of Suspiria next. fuck that guy.

edit: somebody already pointed that out. :facepalm:

Watched Shutter Island the other day, terrible stuff, some scenes were downright laughable, but I still enjoyed the puzzle aspect. Would not watch again. 5/10.

Guest Mirezzi

My Son My Son What Have ye done is absurd and I do love it, but damn is it strange. An underlying dark comedy about insanity.

I guess if you approach anything like it is going to be a comedy, everything is hilarious.

#megatopost

WRT Into the Abyss, I was referring of course to Herzog specifically. I thought it was a flawed masterpiece overall...mostly because it never quite settled into a convincing tone. It was simultaneously a dark comedy about Texas: The Uber Shithole, a solemn argument against capital punishment, and Albee-esque theatre of the absurd. By the time he discovered the woman from Nebraska who met Jason Burkett online and eventually married him, I was a bit lost as to wtf Herzog was trying to achieve. Still a very solid doc and I loved the way Herzog went about his business as equal parts Errol Morris and Nick Broomfield. With docs, you never quite know what you've got until you edit. He had something, but I didn't feel it really amounted to much in the final edit.

I am going to watch George Washington and Pineapple Express.

I saw All the Real Girls and couldn't even get through it. A very painfully studentish student film that never relents in its amateurish shittiness.

i liked franco in freaks and geeks and in 127 hours. i thnk he tries too hard to be the artist. he even wrote a book. i have a feeling he will ruin spring breakers. btw, skrillex is writing a score for that, which explains the pic in my avatar. finally.

#megatopost

WRT Into the Abyss, I was referring of course to Herzog specifically. I thought it was a flawed masterpiece overall...mostly because it never quite settled into a convincing tone. It was simultaneously a dark comedy about Texas: The Uber Shithole, a solemn argument against capital punishment, and Albee-esque theatre of the absurd. By the time he discovered the woman from Nebraska who met Jason Burkett online and eventually married him, I was a bit lost as to wtf Herzog was trying to achieve. Still a very solid doc and I loved the way Herzog went about his business as equal parts Errol Morris and Nick Broomfield. With docs, you never quite know what you've got until you edit. He had something, but I didn't feel it really amounted to much in the final edit.

I am going to watch George Washington and Pineapple Express.

I saw All the Real Girls and couldn't even get through it. A very painfully studentish student film that never relents in its amateurish shittiness.

I will check Into The Abyss some day. Herzog is very hit or miss with myself.

I need to finish Errol Morris' last one about the mormon kidnapping and the wife trying to get her kidnapped husband back from London mormons. Strange as usual.

Talked to a woman who was one of DGG's high school teacher a week ago, said he is a great person. Not a big fan of most that he does. PE never quite makes me freak out laughing. I have never seen GW though. She told me to watch it.

Yay for acronyms.

Just watched the famous black metal doc. Until The Light Takes Us......really well done. You should check it Ben.

stateside - pretty cool movie about directors relationship with the schizophrenic girl from caddyshack and animal house, sarah holcomb. or at least that's the word on the street (internet). kinda a grim love story, dark without being too obvious in it. too bad everybody hated it and it bombed.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I hope Considine makes many more films.

I've been a huge Paddy fan since Dead Man's Shoes. love him.

same but since my wrongs which i saw before dead man's shoes although not sure which came out first

the raid 6/10

lockout i don't even know, turned it off about 5 minutes in due to some embarrassingly shitty cgi motorcycle chase scene. i mean fucking hell, it looked like something straight out of some cheap 1995 PC CD-ROM "interactive game" intro. 0/10 i guess.

margaret 8/10

Archived