IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

I agree with all of this, what other horror films are you into?

Depends on my mood I guess. Inside and Martyrs are recent favourites.

As far as classics go I'm a sucker for the whole Nightmare on Elm St series, minus Freddy's Dead (an abomination of a film). I want to do a marathon of all the Freddy movies one weekend if only I can convince my friends to stop being such enormous pussbags.

Hellraiser is another that I adore. 1 and 2 are glorious, 3 is the worst, followed by 4. 5 (Inferno) is a really good film, despite the budget and not amazing acting... It's basically a Silent Hill movie. The others aren't terrible either.

I don't mind saying I'm a bit of a sucker for the Saw series. I recognise they're not "good" films, but they keep a consistent plot through all 7, despite how increasingly ridiculous it gets. Plus I love the industrial machinery side of it, there's something about machines being used that I find horrifying (see the twisting crucifix in 3). It takes horror seriously, at least until 3d came out that is. Which was more of a pastiche of the Saw series and pretty funny it was too.

I've been through my J-horror phase and kind of got sick of all that lark. They milked that to death.

Questionable whether it counts as horror but the recent trend of Japanese gore films are mighty entertaining. Tokyo Gore Police in particular is a highlight!

Looking for a horror film to put the shits up me proper and recently there's been none of that about :(

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Frankie5fingers

Looking for a horror film to put the shits up me proper and recently there's been none of that about :(

true dat. horror nowadays is really watered down in my opinion. either that or we as a society have become so desensitized that it just seems watered down.

As far as classics go I'm a sucker for the whole Nightmare on Elm St series, minus Freddy's Dead (an abomination of a film). I want to do a marathon of all the Freddy movies one weekend if only I can convince my friends to stop being such enormous pussbags.

Hellraiser is another that I adore. 1 and 2 are glorious, 3 is the worst, followed by 4. 5 (Inferno) is a really good film, despite the budget and not amazing acting... It's basically a Silent Hill movie. The others aren't terrible either.

Same here. im an old school horror fan. I love me my slasher flicks. Im a Halloween guy. those movies kick ass. Except season of the witch (3 i think). its not a Halloween movie and why it was given that name really pisses me off. as for Friday the 13th, i really only like 1. maybe 2. not a big Hellraiser fan but i do like Nightmare on Elm. Ill come over if your havin an Elm Street marathon! lol

I work night shifts, and I recently I've been on a Hitchcock binge, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho.

All amazing, think strangers on a train is my favorite so far.

Tonight/this mornings film is North by Northwest.

We Own the Night - 7.5 Joaquins/10. Wahlberg was decent, nice and understated for the most part so he didn't really get in the way. Really enjoye dthe first half of the film, where the story was dynamic and the characters were actual people. After the turning point it became just a tad cliched. Definitely worth a watch though. As a bonus, the score is really nice.

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Irma Vep - 8.5/10

Maggie Cheung in latex. But yeah, added to that a very decent watch.

Tonight/this mornings film is North by Northwest.

i think this is the funniest hitchcock movie. like, it's not a comedy, but cary grant is really outdoing himself here. even if the movie gets a bit boring near the end.

Guest Frankie5fingers

c'mon Return to Oz freakiness!!!!

Oz_1-Sht_teaser_v4b.jpg?1341418219

They really did it. wow. FUCK YOU DISNEY. they just can't leave well enough alone can they.

Guest Frankie5fingers

no they can't. I am expecting Alice in Wonderland part 2: The Nightmare Continues.

lol, no doubt its already in post-production :cry:

Guest Frankie5fingers

with Sam Raimi behind it and not Tim Burton there is a glimmer of hope.

i sure hope this is a joke and you mean that Raimi sucks ass and Tim Burton is a great director.

Guest ruiagnelo

I have rewatched A Clockwork Orange yesterday. I have only seen it about 3 or 4 times, but my opinion of it has already progressed from astonishment and admiration to contempt and shame.

I have always admired the aesthetics of it, the way Kubrick achieved a really uncomfortable feeling to all of it, at least for me it is the only movie that makes me feel physically uncomfortable from begining to end, not only because of the characters, but mainly because of how they are dressed, where they live, where they walk. The way space is occupied and portrayed. Just think of all the unexpected, almost randomly chosen, textures and colors of the walls, the clothes, the way rooms are filmed, because we rarely get a glimpse of what's beyond the interiors, the relation between inside/outside is not revealed. For instance on The Shining the director's office is in a position within the building that doesn't allow any window to the outside, but in every scene filmed in the room you can see a window that brings quite a shiny sun to the inside. These disorientation in space, its transformation in a kind of puzzle-like challenge you need to decode besides everything else in the film, is a theme i have always particularly loved about Kubrick's work.

The music is another brilliant achievement on the film, and it actually took me all these viewings to think about it properly, and to consider the options. The use of classical music makes up for and instant idea of timelessness. This way it simply gets harder to place the story at any time. It also reinforces the satire, and i actually laugh my ass off always that the old Ludwig Van starts playing. The synthesizer passages on the other hand create a strong tension in the storytelling, and the contrast between these opposite choices of music really give the film it's cold feeling.

I despise everything that is beyond the aesthetics though, and that's my problem with the film. What do you find besides images: free ultraviolence, women hated, raped, disrespected, turned into table-like sculptures and milk gushing machines, nonsense followed by nonsense and so on.

There is no way i can accept the argument that its value resides on Kubrick achieving a cold, raw and impersonal perspective on the violent side of human beings. There is plenty of this outside already, there is no need for a film to show us, even though it looks wonderful and catchy. There is no background information on how all these people got to be so bad to others, which for me is far more important than the whole question of humans being able to chose between the good or bad. I have always felt distant from every character and everything else about the movie throughout the whole time. I can't relate to anything about it as a movie. The tendency towards violence against women for instance, seemed completely arbitrary and pointless, considering that no cultural, political or economical background is provided to us.

I find it relevant in two ways though: it can be a great starting point for the old discussion about l'art pour l'art, and the autonomization of the aesthetics and it can provide a good scientific experience, in which a person is submited to its viewing (exactly in the same conditions as Alex was submited to the film torture) the brain being analysed in realtime and after, to determine how that person reacted to everything. In a way it can be a test to one's reaction against violence. I kept thinking this while watching it because i was wondering how some of my friends would react to it, and which side they would take.

c'mon Return to Oz freakiness!!!!

Oz_1-Sht_teaser_v4b.jpg?1341418219

i have rewatched it this week and it is so perfect after all these decades! i keep losing my hope on cinema at an alarming rate these days. There is no way these people can mess with legacy so easily

I really hate the original and somehow enjoy watching return to oz. there must be something wrong with me.

Guest Frankie5fingers

no, I mean fuck Tim Burton.

then im sorry but we cant be friends then. Tim Burton is a fucking genius. Other than a couple of his earlier films Raimi is horrible. Spiderman, Sucked. 1 is just watchable the other two, awful. Drag me to Hell, don't get me started. granted Tim Burtons Charlie and the Chocolate factory sucked and so did Alice. but he has more good movies than raimi has even directed.

yes, name one.

Sure, Sam Raimi has made some shit films, Drag Me to Hell not being one of them...

you apparently didn't get the film. 50% Horror 50% Comedy.

But even in his shit films there are still great qualities. B films are fun to watch.

Tim Burton's films are awash with his cum driven aesthetic nightmares.

Yes, I enjoyed his films in the 80's. I was a child then.

Now it is a different story. With exceptions like Beetlejuice and Pee Wee's Big Adventure, still both have many flaws.

Anyhow fuck Tim Burton....Sam Raimi is much more awesome. I enjoyed Spider Man 2. Fuck part 3 though, one of the worst film experiences I will ever have in a theatre.

Nothing will compare to my hatred of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. One of my top three worst film experiences.

Guest Frankie5fingers

name one good Tim Burton film? K. Beetlejuice, Pee-wee, Batman, Edward scissor hands, Nightmare before Christmas, and Sweeney Todd. there's 6. All of them are great films. just cause you don't like them doesn't mean they're bad movies.

i do agree though with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. that movie was fucking horrible.

ed wood is an acceptable answer.

I agree with liking the other ones. Some of them, but I do like more Sam Raimi films than I do Burton films.

Yes we are all allowed to our own opinions.

AMURUCUH FUCK YEAH!

Guest Frankie5fingers

ed wood is an acceptable answer.

I agree with liking the other ones. Some of them, but I do like more Sam Raimi films than I do Burton films.

Yes we are all allowed to our own opinions.

AMURUCUH FUCK YEAH!

yeah, its fine for you to like him better than Burton. and i love The Evil dead movies by the way. but let me present you with this. Oz is a musical. and to my knowledge Raimi doesn't have any experience in that field. while Burton does. even if you don't like him, wouldn't you rather someone who has experience in that area? (its a Disney movie so i'd figure it have music this time around) on top of that the movie is supposed to be dark and depressing. not funny. once again not Raimi's field.

Archived