IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

lynch does shoddy and dune is is shod..

besides its more or less his frankenstein, he sorta disowned it afterwards when they fucked with his original cut

yeah you're wrong but it's cool...

you just don't understand Lynch....

maybe you will one day

once again, it's cool....because I do get him

Dune is probably the best sci/fi film ever and it is better than the novel(which I think is the only case I can think of in which the film is better than the novel), the sets, the actors, the atmosphere, no film will ever be like Dune and the haters are just not getting it...kind of like the haters of Autechre, they don't get it, nor should they, it isn't for them...

his other films are completely different but I love them all, for them all being their own entity and he being a film making god...

He is a genius, he can do no wrong...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest viscosity

word. maybe one day dune will click for me..

and autechre is just a bunch of bloopbleeps and farts that pretentious hipsters pretend to enjoy for the sake of being pretentious fuckin hipsters. fuck that shit

what didn't you like about Dune, viscosity?

It is a refulgent film, indeed, though may take multiple viewings to inure any doubts of it's long-windedness... especially Lynch's extended cut. It took me many years to sympathize with Lynches mephitic vision and eventually parse what I could from it.

Guest viscosity

It's been a little while but I suppose its just some laziness in the whole presentation.. and lack of clarity. I'll reserve judgment until I can understand more fully after reading some Herbert when I get leisure time to do so, seeing as I am fairly pinned with what I need to read for class this semester.. perhaps he was giving fans what they wanted and not diluting it for the sake of those just watching it as film without the proper background on the dune universe.. just seemed a little cumbersome to me and overly ambitious (which is not necessarily a bad thing). 

and if I had to nit pick I would say some of the special effects were really lame, and surely not the best they could do at the time.. and I do actually prefer 'real' effects in comparison to CGI (unless it is masterfully done, some contemporary stuff looks good). maybe I'm spoiled by my day of age, but it did turn me off a bit

costume and character design were excellent IMO though.. thus the avatar which makes me look more of a poser then anything but fuck it

I do like lynch films.. but more so the ones he writes him self, and those who claim to understand exactly what is going on in some of his more abstract stuff (sarcasm aside) are either arrogant or disillusioned by their own perception of what they see and hear on screen, not to say they are wrong but I think most of his own writing and screenplay should be considered fairly ambiguous from a critics point of view seeing as he keeps fairly hush in terms of meaning in his films

) do like lynch films.. but more so the ones he writes him self, and those who claim to understand exactly what is going on in some of his more abstract stuff (sarcasm aside) are either arrogant or disillusioned by their own perception of what they see and hear on screen, not to say they are wrong but I think most of his own writing and screenplay should be considered fairly ambiguous from a critics point of view seeing as he keeps fairly hush in terms of meaning in his films

come on man, everybody knows eraserhead is about parenthood

Guest WhoNeedsElectricity

In the middle of Stray Dog, and I can't believe how young Mifune looks. How did he go from such a baby faced guy to the grimacing bastard in Throne of Blood?

The Thing (Carpenter's):

So after watching a few dud flicks I decided to revisit and all time favorite. The Thing was always one of my favorite horror films; back in 6th grade a group of my friends and I would often watch a triple-feature of The Thing, The Shining, and Children of the Corn. The must have remastered the film as it looked really crisp, like a criterion version. It's definitely withstood the test of time, though some of the practical vfx don't look quite as believable to my jaded eye as they once did. Otherwise it's a near perfect film. The acting ensemble is fantastic, the direction by Carpenter is great, and the soundtrack by Morricone is one of my all time favorites. A classic, 10/10

World's Greatest Dad - Bobcat Goldthwait (2009) - Had to go to the theater for this one, thankfully not as noisome as it usually is. It was the lady, looking grand as ever, myself, and a poor fellow with a soar throat, scratching away, a few seats behind. The film itself was decent, a pleonasm of a film I guess you could say. Robin Williams played his part well... I even got to see the mans meat n' balls and found it strangely beautiful. Goldthwait did well at invoking emotion from me so i guess I can't badmouth it too much. I'd recommend for those whom are lookin' for a dark comedy.

I also had to add... it was like a tame Todd Solondz film.

It is a refulgent film, indeed, though may take multiple viewings to inure any doubts of it's long-windedness... especially Lynch's extended cut. It took me many years to sympathize with Lynches mephitic vision and eventually parse what I could from it.

surely you're taking the piss

World's Greatest Dad - Bobcat Goldthwait (2009) - Had to go to the theater for this one, thankfully not as noisome as it usually is. It was the lady, looking grand as ever, myself, and a poor fellow with a soar throat, scratching away, a few seats behind. The film itself was decent, a pleonasm of a film I guess you could say. Robin Williams played his part well... I even got to see the mans meat n' balls and found it strangely beautiful. Goldthwait did well at invoking emotion from me so i guess I can't badmouth it too much. I'd recommend for those whom are lookin' for a dark comedy.

you use refulgent, inure, mephitic, parse, and pleonasm in a scant two paragraphs, but misspell soar throat?

surely you're taking the piss

you use refulgent, inure, mephitic, parse, and pleonasm in a scant two paragraphs, but misspell soar throat?

yes i was takin' the piss regarding Dune. As for my misspelling, at first i spelled sore, sour (odious habit, not sure where it came about), then somehow managed to move to soar and was about to change it but enjoyed the imagery... though I could be taking the piss again.

the French Connection : a little underwhelmed by this movie classic. I am a big gene hackman fan and kind of a schieder fan but this movie didn't do it for me. The music was probably the best thing about it, god i love how 70s movies even blockbusters had some of the most avant-garde weird dissonant fucking music ever put to film. anyways the train chase scene was really nicely done but couldnt roll with the rest of it. 6/10

Extract - Better than most modern comedies and much more tightly wound story than the last Apatow film. Not many dirty jokes resorted to , i can't say i enjoyed it as much as Idiocracy. It was a much slower paced reality based film, even more than Office Space. The part with the aggressive pot smoker screaming 'INHALE!!' was a golden moment though. Reminded me of the gym teacher in beavis and butthead 7.5/10

State of Play - a somewhat engaging typical political thriller movie, reminded me of a john grisham story (it could have been?) but it had a silly twist ending that actually negated most of the main characters motivations to the point of creating such a massive plot hole that story really had no point.

for anyone who has seen this, explain to me why Ben Affleck's character wanted to hype or help push the media story that his assistant did not kill herself. If he just let the story roll out the way it started to, that she killed herself on the train tracks, he would take the normal political damage associated with having an affiar, but beyond that he would be in the clear. It made no sense for him to put himself in the situation to be found out as the one who orchestrated her killing. I thought it made no sense, but maybe i missed something, im open to that possibility

5/10

in the end when he dove into the pool, to be born again, squeaky and clean

i am reallly sad i didn't get to see it, and i paid for that shit on demand the least it could have offered was his dick in my face

Why didn't you finish it off... rubbed your tummy wrong?

I loved Three Extremes... Fruit Chan, Miike, and Clan-wook Park... there is nothing more to be said.

well, fruit chan's feature cut of dumplings is worth watching. i prefer it to the short.

I watched the original BBC mini-series, State of Play, over the several days.

I'm tempted to say that it was great, but really it was just very good. It's one of those instances where, I hate to say it, but the production value was so lean (what was the acquisition format, Betacam?) that it hurt my impression at times. Then again, I'm really bored of handheld verité. In 2003, I probably would have found it much more intriguing.

The acting was mostly excellent, but I didn't really like John Simm as Cal McCaffrey. He only seemed to have two expressions and neither one was that convincing. Oh, and David Morrissey might be better than Ben Affleck, but he's still a shit actor.

If it weren't for Bill Nighy, Kelly MacDonald, and Marc Warren (his Dominc Foy was worth its weight in gold in an otherwise overly earnest production), I doubt anybody would remember the show at all. Oh, I liked Chewy, too.

Død Sne/Dead Snow

Norwegian nazi zombie movie.

Nazi + Zombie = Lovely.

7/10

heheh i watched that one a few posts behind ya.... very good fun with both friends and beer.

Archived