IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Maybe it's just me wanting to believe this is Autechre (I really like it), but don't a lot of the reverb and soundscapes beyond the melodies sound very Autechre-like? A lot of the percussion too.

That's why I think it's them. It just seems to fit what I think of when I think of Autechre (specifically how they do soundscapes and percussion).

Guest Balance

There's an encoding error in the file but you can skip past it to hear the rest. Or transcode it to lossy if you can be bothered.

I have the same problem but skipping past doesn't work for me and I don't know what transcoding to lossy means.

I love the 30 mins or whatever it is I've heard of it though.

Guest narkeworld

If Reason makes sounds like this, clearly I havent been paying attention to that software as much as I thought I have (and I've been called a Reason ninja).

That's why I said you could have made this leak. Autechre are supposed to be godlike and while your music is nice it's not Autechre, but now I think you're probably entering their arena in terms of quality.

Edited by narkeworld

Well thanks, but I dunno man... making such a stark (and negative) judgement call on this is like making up your mind on a film shot in the theater with a shaky hand-cam. We can see what it is, but our experience is already a shell within a shell away from the real deal.

The part that sounds the least like ae to me is that bit in d-sho qub with with the cheesy delay line effect (you know, when the delay time decreases and the echo goes up in pitch). That bit does sound like Reason to me.

The part that sounds the least like ae to me is that bit in d-sho qub with with the cheesy delay line effect (you know, when the delay time decreases and the echo goes up in pitch). That bit does sound like Reason to me.

you mean like an analog delay? i don't think reason invented that sound..

Well thanks, but I dunno man... making such a stark (and negative) judgement call on this is like making up your mind on a film shot in the theater with a shaky hand-cam. We can see what it is, but our experience is already a shell within a shell away from the real deal.

nah man the sound quality of this isn't bad at all. if it's trancoded, it's fairly above 192kbps mp3 imo. do you hear any compression artifacts? plenty transparent high frequency stuff in here. only thing is the crossfades imo….

not saying it matters, but i really can't see why this couldn't be made in reason.

i've only heard a snippit of ilanders so far, but can't that be said about anything? if you work hard enough, you can almost get any sound out of whatever software you use?

you mean like an analog delay? i don't think reason invented that sound..

Sure. What I meant was, it is a gimmicky sound that I generally associate with amateur electronic musicians (and that's how I get the connection to reason). I don't associate that sound with ae, so when I heard that bit, it surprised me. That's all I meant.

not saying it matters, but i really can't see why this couldn't be made in reason.

i've only heard a snippit of ilanders so far, but can't that be said about anything? if you work hard enough, you can almost get any sound out of whatever software you use?

yeah, pretty much. but people around here started arguing whether this could or couldn't be output of reason.

like i said, not like it matters.

A lot of the tracks just sound like 2 or 3 FM patches playing on some lame scale where the parameters of note generation are changed over time. Just a few computer sequencers set up sending midi out to a some fm synths with a reverb or 2 on the send channel. Some of them are more sophisticated than that, but yeah. Similar mastering to quaristice, listen to this and then listen to something like cfern on confield. I miss old autechre but at least they are doing something a little bit more cohesive and different than usual.

Just by reading this thread I can tell it's not legit...or at least I HOPE it's not. Anybody out there VERY happy about what you're hearing?

I am. From what I can tell so far (after only a couple listens) this album isn't about rhythm nor melody. It's about voicing. If you listen for only melody it's going to sound a bit aimless and meandering. If you listen for rhythm it'll sound simplistic. If you listen for voicing and counterpoint it is a very sophisticated album.

That's just what I've got from it so far. If it turns out to be a fake, I'll be glad to have downloaded it before it gets forgotten.

Ditto. You're so fucking on point with this "read" on the album. The rest of you guys are probably listening with a pre-determined filter/bias. Autechre is not going to release supercomplicated shit just to be supercomplicated. There's a larger purpose to this album, which I can say Untilted and Quaristice strayed away from achieving. Allow them the chance to prove there is a method to their madness.

It's really simple for me. It's either exciting, interesting and engaging or it isn't. Those two fakes I heard weren't. They were just nice and alright. I'm not keen on Quaristice, but I've always felt the songs are classic songs, and moreso when listening to it after those fakes. I still can't get into Perlence, but I still think it's a good song. There's still something about it that means I keep returning to it.

It's what Autechre mean when they say you begin to prefer their previous album before the new one: that however chaotic and complex and bewildering their music can be, it's always underpinned by good songwriting that reveals its genuine quality over time.

Now see on see has just come on. Is this thread a wind-up? People don't think it is more engaging than everything else on there (ilanders excepted)? See on see is Plaid-like, and is straightforward somewhat. What is there to say though other than it doesn't bore me and the rest do.

Everything except see on see and ilanders on this promo is bland mush. Every Autechre album has tracks that start with absolute surprising conviction in contrast to the one before it. With Quaristice, it was like they could go in any direction. I listen to Autechre for moments like Tankakern and WNSN.

There is a big difference between wanting to return to an album because it first intrigued you and still confounds you and not wanting to return to it simply because it bored you. This promo is making songs like Pule and Melve sound like classic songs. I've actually always liked both. I can't see why after 20 years they'll have suddenly lost the ability to write classic songs.

Though I know probably the least of all the people here, I know nothing of recording techniques and have been listening to them for just a few years. That's why I'm so surprised that people who do know a lot only seem to enjoy Autechre cosmetically.

Then again, I think you made it.

Listening to it for the 2nd time in earphones at the moment. If this is legit I'll attempt to swallow my fist and risk certain death, cos if it is legit I'll be too disappointed to care.

I think I prefer the first two fakes.

Edited by Suffocate Peon

qplay is sort of making me think this might be a fake. The simplicity of the beats in the beat-oriented tracks also has me a bit skeptical although rale was pretty straightforward so you never know. It's good stuff, just not what I would expect from Ae. I'll let it sink in for a few days and see if I change my mind.

Okay... I'm going to go on the record here... If anyone thinks this m4a single track promo is even remotely fake, you havent been listening to Autechre. Ever. Period. It may not be what you want right now, but it will be what you need over time. If you're bitching today, chances are you bitched when Confield came out and Confield is now one of your all time "favorite" albums.

So, in closing, just shut the fuck up and wait for the wav files to be properly released before you give up on this.

PS - Quaristice still sucks