IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

I don't know if this interview has already been posted - and you're having a laugh if you think I'm trawling through hundreds of thread pages! - but here it is anyway:

http://www.list.co.uk/article/23920-autechre-oversteps-tour-includes-glasgow-date-sean-booth-interview/

Do these mean anything, or are the pair just playing? ‘Both,’ states Booth, ‘because you can’t play without meaning, can you? Their meanings aren’t explicit, but they are there. I mean, if you could get away without naming anything, that would be good. We have to do it for cataloguing reasons, so most of the time we just use our working titles, unless they look horrible. That’s another thing, we’re really into the way certain letters look, and converge. I think it goes back to when we were younger, it’s a tagging thing, a definite aesthetic consideration.’ He laughs. ‘We don’t name our songs like that because we’re trying to be dickheads about it.’

lol, I love it

qplay is like if aphex twins remixed quaristice and it was mastered/tweaked by ae.

there's that sample that sounds like omgyja switch and the synths are detuned not in a way that is classic afx but in a way i think he'd approve of.

Rob Brown lives in Bristol??? That's like 40 minutes away from me. SHIT! :P

Shit,what are you waiting for? GO VISIT! Gift wrap the latest MAX/MSP and a blunt as offerings.

I'm not familiar with English housing and real estate but what d'ya reckon you'd run into if you actually found his house? Is it more likely that he's rural? How about one of those really small stone houses on a lane but is so covered in thickets and other vegetation that you'd never know anyone was there? That's how it was when I drove through Bel Air and Beverly Hills.

Yeah I reckon it's most likely rural, you don't have to go very far out of Bristol to be in the middle of countryside really. Which most probably means he's closer than a 40 minutes drive. :wtf:

There aren't many hidden homes around here I'd say but you never know - if they're hidden you wouldn't see them lol. This is such a fanboy moment but seriously he must have been past where we are on the motorway so many times. Christ.

P.S. I just used :wtf: for the first time, it's really liberating :P

Guest ezkerraldean

Rob Brown lives in Bristol??? That's like 40 minutes away from me. SHIT! :P

Shit,what are you waiting for? GO VISIT! Gift wrap the latest MAX/MSP and a blunt as offerings.

I'm not familiar with English housing and real estate but what d'ya reckon you'd run into if you actually found his house? Is it more likely that he's rural? How about one of those really small stone houses on a lane but is so covered in thickets and other vegetation that you'd never know anyone was there? That's how it was when I drove through Bel Air and Beverly Hills.

Yeah I reckon it's most likely rural, you don't have to go very far out of Bristol to be in the middle of countryside really. Which most probably means he's closer than a 40 minutes drive. :wtf:

There aren't many hidden homes around here I'd say but you never know - if they're hidden you wouldn't see them lol. This is such a fanboy moment but seriously he must have been past where we are on the motorway so many times. Christ.

P.S. I just used :wtf: for the first time, it's really liberating :P

:facepalm:

it would make me happy if Rob had ever gone to the Forest of Dean though. maybe the next ae album will have track names in Forester

Guest silverside

I'm really sorry to change the topic, and I hope this hasn't been written before, but could anyone tell me the official Oversteps track lengths? I bought the WAVs, made them into MP3's, and they've now all clumped together into a 144 minute long track.

If anyone could tell me, it would be really helpful. If not, I'll be able to work out for myself and divide them up, but I don't want to waste effort that I don't need to waste.

well for a start, it shouldn't be 144 minutes long! what on earth did you use to make the wavs into mp3s? ie. why couldn't you make individual mp3s in the first place?

edit, did you delete the original wavs? :facepalm:

Edited by modey

Guest silverside

Oh no.

I probably should have checked the file before writing this, since I have now played it and it is 144 minutes of white noise. And I've deleted the WAVs. Ah well, I'll try again another day.

That was pretty :facepalm:

P.S. I used Audacity and LAME like Bleep told me to use. But I've never used before so I probably made some horrendous mistake.

Oh no.

I probably should have checked the file before writing this, since I have now played it and it is 144 minutes of white noise. And I've deleted the WAVs. Ah well, I'll try again another day.

That was pretty :facepalm:

P.S. I used Audacity and LAME like Bleep told me to use. But I've never used before so I probably made some horrendous mistake.

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Guest silverside

Don't think of me as a giant noob by the way. I have actually been listening to Autechre for quite some time (but not as long as most people here), and do 'get' it. I'm just hopeless with technology.

Guest silverside

Stupidity in getting music types mixed up. Got .wav confused with .wma (even though they are completely different entities entirely) and thought they'd be compatible). When I then discovered afterwards, I then thought that I could simply convert them (and perhaps even have better quality music because in my mind converting something from higher quality to lower quality may be less lossy than simply getting the lower quality).

At least some of this money I've idiotically squandered will go to Autechre, to help them continue make music.

...Anyway, moving on, I'm liking the review. Good to see I'm not the only one that likes Quaristice (maybe I shouldn't have said that, I'm looking enough like an idiot already...)

Edited by silverside

Stupidity in getting music types mixed up. Got .wav confused with .wma (even though they are completely different entities entirely) and thought they'd be compatible). When I then discovered afterwards, I then thought that I could simply convert them (and perhaps even have better quality music because in my mind converting something from higher quality to lower quality may be less lossy than simply getting the lower quality).

Bleep would have encoded the MP3s from the highest quality source they have, so there'd be no difference whatsoever...whether you'd downloaded the MP3 format from Bleep, or downloaded the WAV format and encoded your own MP3s....except with Bleep you get the track-by-track artwork, and with encoding it yourself you get the "satisfaction" of knowing you encoded them yourself.

with the greatest love in the world, as an autechre listener, i give you my facepalm virginity here on this messageboard

:facepalm:

Guest Greg Reason

A decent Oversteps album review!!

http://www.gridface.com/reviews/oversteps.html

I like gridface.

'There is a consistent sense of confidence evident in Autechre’s style. These guys don’t make music that’s half-assed.'

*coughQuaristice* :emotawesomepm9:

Review's alright. Wouldn't really call ilanders a nod to dubstep though...

*cough* Quaristice is their best if you don't count Draft.

Guest frits

Gridface " Like “pt2ph8,” however, it’s so abstract it feels incohesive. "

That´s a load of bullshit, one of the most cohesive tracks on the album, with a very clear nu-jazz melody going through the whole track.