IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Gridface " Like “pt2ph8,” however, it’s so abstract it feels incohesive. "

That´s a load of bullshit, one of the most cohesive tracks on the album, with a very clear nu-jazz melody going through the whole track.

me too, i don't get how that track is 'random' at all. it's a 'song' with verse/chorus.. a very logical chord progression with some contrapuntal melody, bassline+lots of nice synth punctuations.. at most maybe some of the counterpoint is generative. whatevs.

Guest extridium

Gridface " Like “pt2ph8,” however, it’s so abstract it feels incohesive. "

That´s a load of bullshit, one of the most cohesive tracks on the album, with a very clear nu-jazz melody going through the whole track.

me too, i don't get how that track is 'random' at all. it's a 'song' with verse/chorus.. a very logical chord progression with some contrapuntal melody, bassline+lots of nice synth punctuations.. at most maybe some of the counterpoint is generative. whatevs.

i agree...one of my favs btw

Gridface: " Like “pt2ph8,” however, it’s so abstract it feels incohesive. "

LOL Abstract??? I get clear visual of that track...

070920_blog.uncovering.org_kush_1.jpg

Ok... the last week or so has been mind numbingly frustrating for me...

First of all, I've been a little low in funds for the last month or so cos I had no work, so I hadn't pre ordered the album. Finally started work again last week and was happy to get paid.

But alas! I capped my internet! I'm sure this is only the 2nd or 3rd time in the last 2 years that I've capped my internet, WHY NOW? WHY?!?!?

So even though I could finally preorder it, I couldn't download it! So I waited patiently for the 1st of March.

I woke up and got so excited I had to buy it and start the download... maybe, just maybe it would finish in time for me to take it to work. But in my haste I accidently bought the 16bit version.

I was really annoyed now but after I had a shower and stuff I calmed down and remembered that I'm not an audiophile enough to even be able to tell the difference, and I would mostly be listening to the mp3's anyway.

Anyway I left the download going when I went to work, said it would take about an hour and a half. I came home and the download failed.

:facepalm:

My internet goes reeeeeally slow in the evening so I was screwed. I knew it wouldn't finish downloading before I wanted to go to bed. But I tried. Got up to 90% even... and then it failed again.

:facepalm::wtf:

So I gave up on that and downloaded the mp3's.

By this point I was pretty tired. I thought I'd leave it for the next day.

I woke up with a headache and could barely concentrate on my work as it was so I left Oversteps for tonight.

And oh was it worth the wait.

I heard the leak once, but even on second listen, I can hear this album really is quite fantastic. Yeah some of the tracks sound almost identical but a part of me doesn't really care for some reason. It sounds a bit like there's really only about 3 tracks on this album and they each have a bunch of different remixes and variations but you know... I reckon that kinda works!

And gosh some of it is so heart wrenchingly beautiful! I know everyone's been saying it but the end of Treale!!! WOW! Not since Pen Expers has an Autechre melody affected me so.

And Yuop is just plain fantastic. What a way to finish the album!

Guest extridium

Ok... the last week or so has been mind numbingly frustrating for me...

First of all, I've been a little low in funds for the last month or so cos I had no work, so I hadn't pre ordered the album. Finally started work again last week and was happy to get paid.

But alas! I capped my internet! I'm sure this is only the 2nd or 3rd time in the last 2 years that I've capped my internet, WHY NOW? WHY?!?!?

So even though I could finally preorder it, I couldn't download it! So I waited patiently for the 1st of March.

I woke up and got so excited I had to buy it and start the download... maybe, just maybe it would finish in time for me to take it to work. But in my haste I accidently bought the 16bit version.

I was really annoyed now but after I had a shower and stuff I calmed down and remembered that I'm not an audiophile enough to even be able to tell the difference, and I would mostly be listening to the mp3's anyway.

Anyway I left the download going when I went to work, said it would take about an hour and a half. I came home and the download failed.

:facepalm:

My internet goes reeeeeally slow in the evening so I was screwed. I knew it wouldn't finish downloading before I wanted to go to bed. But I tried. Got up to 90% even... and then it failed again.

:facepalm::wtf:

So I gave up on that and downloaded the mp3's.

By this point I was pretty tired. I thought I'd leave it for the next day.

I woke up with a headache and could barely concentrate on my work as it was so I left Oversteps for tonight.

And oh was it worth the wait.

I heard the leak once, but even on second listen, I can hear this album really is quite fantastic. Yeah some of the tracks sound almost identical but a part of me doesn't really care for some reason. It sounds a bit like there's really only about 3 tracks on this album and they each have a bunch of different remixes and variations but you know... I reckon that kinda works!

And gosh some of it is so heart wrenchingly beautiful! I know everyone's been saying it but the end of Treale!!! WOW! Not since Pen Expers has an Autechre melody affected me so.

And Yuop is just plain fantastic. What a way to finish the album!

Cannot agree more...:)

Guest theSun

they sounded similar to me, and they still kind of do, but each song is unique enough that after a few more listens they will become their own beast.

the album as a whole is really more interesting and surprising than i thought ae's 10th release would be. also, the rhythms of the various arpegs just stick in my head, and srsly i'm concentrating so hard on the parts in my head it's hard to do real work hah.

Guest Rogueofmv

Yuop almost made me cry, it was so beautiful... listened to the album when there were storm clouds looming overhead and I was on my way to class for the day.

Highlights for me were r ess, known(1), Treale, d-sho qub, and Yuop. Not to say the rest wasn't A-grade.

It dawned on me this morning that the first 7 tracks are the best 7 track streak that autechre has ever released.

You know how autechre albums take time to understand. Well I already loved this album on the second listen, but I'm still realizing more and more how great it is.

Sorry for the fanboyism.

Guest extridium

It dawned on me this morning that the first 7 tracks are the best 7 track streak that autechre has ever released.

You know how autechre albums take time to understand. Well I already loved this album on the second listen, but I'm still realizing more and more how great it is.

Sorry for the fanboyism.

It dawned on me this morning that the last 7 tracks are the best 7 track streak that autechre has ever released. (lol)

There is much going on on this album in the backtracks.....very low volume dynamics. Best to hear with headphones in combination with the 24bit wavs.

I was driving around and see on see was playing real loud and I it made me feel like a perverse inter-dimensional ice cream salesman.

is that your blog?

photo.jpg.scaled.500.jpggreen inside? :blink:
Whats with all the sleeve notes? Autechre never write anything!

I just posted a comment about it on the blog

It's a biography of the band. These sleeve notes are pretty standard issue on Japanese CDs.

I just picked up the CD this afternoon. Tower Records were giving away posters too. There should be a picture of it on there somewhere.

I could tell you all about how great it sounds but most of you will have downloaded it from Bleep by now.

Regards

Edited by fumi

Guest Ambition as a Hellridah

I was surprised for the poster, its quite big compare to the normal shitty posters they usually give... Don't like very much the green part of the cover, but why not...

Anyway, like 50% of the J-bonus tracks, this "Xektes Sql" is not really interesting. Just a strange dark noise turning for 3 minutes, with a very long Fade-in and Fade-out.