IGNORED

"I met Sean through this guy who introduced us"

Dragon

Lately I've been thinking about alternate reality, the butterfly effect, and how slight changes in events can massively effect the future in ways you can't imagine. For example, if Roald Dahl didn't seriously injure himself in a plane crash seventy years ago, this forum would not be called "WATMM" (In 1940, Roald Dahl was injured in a plane crash, which he later wrote a story about. This inspired him to write stories for a living, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which was made into a movie, from which the sample "We Are The Music Makers" originates.)

So I was listening to the interview included in "Radio Mix" when I heard Rob utter the following snippet:

I met Sean [booth] through this guy who introduced us. He met Sean on the bus one night, tagging, and he met me one night, sort of exchanging graffiti files. When we got together we use to, sort of, edit my tenterwell(?) mixes and Sean could mix as well, and he'd do mixes. And we'd both create, sort of production mixes. And eventually, other people's records, their ideas got replaced by our own ideas, 'cause we'd got all the drum machines and samplers by then.

I have absolutely no idea who this guy is, but we should all be very thankful for him. Because, if he hadn't set up Sean Booth and Rob Brown, there would be no Autechre. They never would have found each other, and probably would have just continued their graffiti and hip-hop hobbies and lived pretty average lives. Just imagine all the awesome material that never would have materialized, Pen Expers, Vletrmx21, Surripere, Ipacial Section, Eutow, Latent Quarter, the list is endless!

I don't know if you're reading this, or if you're still alive, but whoever you are, I hope you realize just how important and significant your actions were when you brought together two random guys who loved to graffiti. This thread is dedicated to this guy, who introduced Sean Booth and Rob Brown to each other, and thousands of loyal fans to their favourite music.

(In fact, just think of all the awesome musical duos who wern't lucky enough to be paired up by someone, and only created their beautiful work in parallel universes which may not even exist. It's all so sad, really...)

Guest ruiagnelo

If your mum and dad never had met, you won't be here writing all that stuff. We know that, that's how everything works/happens. Now can we talk serious stuff?

i've thought of the same thing with brian eno being in the hospital, and his inspiration for ambient music

This thread made me think of Andy Mackay asking Eno to join Roxy...

I have absolutely no idea who this guy is, but we should all be very thankful for him.

lol pathetic

Do you know what your life would be like without Autechre? You're probably listening to them right now! Without This Guy, none of their albums and EPs would ever come into existence. Ae themselves deserve a lot of gratitude as well, of course, but This Guy is responsible for a major event in the history of music (i.e. Pen Expers being created) and his action in bringing Ae together is, in my opinion, underrated.

You don't have to know exactly who someone is to be thankful for their work, if they have obviously done something extremely important.

"We are the music makers" comes from a 19th century poem by Arthur O'Shaughnessy. Get your facts straight.

WE are the music-makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams;

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

With wonderful deathless ditties

We build up the world's great cities,

And out of a fabulous story

We fashion an empire's glory:

One man with a dream, at pleasure,

Shall go forth and conquer a crown;

And three with a new song's measure

Can trample an empire down.

We, in the ages lying

In the buried past of the earth,

Built Nineveh with our sighing,

And Babel itself with our mirth;

And o'erthrew them with prophesying

To the old of the new world's worth;

For each age is a dream that is dying,

Or one that is coming to birth.

although the vocal sample was taken from the 1971 movie, that is not where the line originates.

"We are the music makers" comes from a 19th century poem by Arthur O'Shaughnessy. Get your facts straight.

WE are the music-makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams;

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

With wonderful deathless ditties

We build up the world's great cities,

And out of a fabulous story

We fashion an empire's glory:

One man with a dream, at pleasure,

Shall go forth and conquer a crown;

And three with a new song's measure

Can trample an empire down.

We, in the ages lying

In the buried past of the earth,

Built Nineveh with our sighing,

And Babel itself with our mirth;

And o'erthrew them with prophesying

To the old of the new world's worth;

For each age is a dream that is dying,

Or one that is coming to birth.

although the vocal sample was taken from the 1971 movie, that is not where the line originates.

And, in this alternate reality, why would Joyrex decide to name this forum after a random line from the 1800's?

Yes, the line goes way back, further than the movie, but if it hadn't been created, Aphex Twin would not have sampled it in his track, "We Are The Music Makers". Joyrex named this forum after the line because it was used in the track, which was used in the movie. So if it didn't exist (thus, if the plane hadn't crashed), the forum would be named something else and the word "Watmmer" would not exist.

Now, back on track...

Archived