IGNORED

Some thoughts about Ae's back catalogue

Dragon

I've been listening to these releases for a while now, and I couldn't help forming some thoughts about the tracks on some of Booth and Brown's releases. I'll just get straight to it.

The tracklisting of Chiastic Slide is thus:

Cipater

Rettic AC

Tewe

Cichli

Hub

Calbruc

Recury

Pule

Nuane

I noticed how, given the nature of these tracks, they could be grouped into three bundles of three, like so:

Cipater, Calbruc, Nuane

Rettic AC, Cichli, Recury

Tewe, Hub, Pule

The first bundle is made up of complex, beat-oriented tracks that tend to change and develop significantly over time. The tracks in the second bundle are very textured, with powerful sounds blasting out of the speakers. Both "Rettic AC" and "Recury" have an undeniable texture of snow or crunching ice. The final bundle is made up of organic tracks with often mysterious qualities. "Tewe" and "Hub" feel tense, almost claustrophobic, and all three tracks end with a computerized drone reminiscent of moaning.

Basically, I think there is correlation between the tracks in each bundle, and that's how I think of the tracklisting of Chiastic Slide. Tracks of three different flavours. Now, onto Envane:

Goz Quarter

Latent Quarter

Laughing Quarter

Draun Quarter

I have studied the age old beliefs of Humourism. In a nutshell, people believed that all matter, including human beings, was composed of the four elements: Earth, Air, Fire and Water. I have found links between the four elements and the four "Quarters" of Envane:

Goz Quarter - Air

Latent Quarter - Earth

Laughing Quarter - Water

Draun Quarter - Fire

The later part of Goz Quarter makes be think about being in the sky, moving through clouds and feeling drops of rain, so I'm pairing that one up with the element of Air. Latent Quarter has an earthy, melancholic texture and feel. "Melancholic", along with its current meaning, is also an ancient word used to describe the state of having too much Earth inside the body. Laughing Quarter, to me, feels like heavy currents of water pounding into things, crushing all that stands in their way. They move fast and furiously, splashing away and making a din. I associate Draun Quarter with Fire because it feels so warm, especially towards the end with its harmony of strings. It's like a big, firery sunset.

Those are my thoughts on Chiastic Slide and Envane, and now there is the matter of Untilted. It was released in 2005 without any accompanying EPs, and the album itself consists of a mere eight tracks, albeit stunning. Keep in mind that this is all the material we got for a five year period between Draft 7.30 and Quaristice. I think a better approach would have been to release an album based on the awesome material from their live sets at the time, then Untilted could have been released as two EPs, like so:

Untilted EP:

LCC

Ipacial Section

Pro Radii

The Trees

Sublimit EP:

Augmatic Disport

Iera

Fermium

Sublimit

There we go. Just a few ideas on Autechre's back catalogue. Hopefully you found them interesting, if slightly pointless. Thoughts?

Interesting, but mostly because I had no idea that Rhombix was Dragon

Does having the name "Dragon" make me automatically less interesting? Please, do explain this to me.

Jesus fuck you lot are a bunch of assholes. These kinds of threads should not be discouraged. It's an interesting way of looking at a previously known body of work. Never thought I would be defending dragon, but here I am.

I like your first and last ideas the most. The middle idea is interesting, but, in my mind not as engaging as the ones around it. I don't really think of Ae as being into that kinda "pagan energies" type of shit.

I like your first and last ideas the most. The middle idea is interesting, but, in my mind not as engaging as the ones around it. I don't really think of Ae as being into that kinda "pagan energies" type of shit.

Nah, neither do I. I don't think the four elements thing is intentional, it's just an observation. Envane is divided into four aptly named quarters, so after having an interest in Humourism, I just found it tempting to associate them with the four elements.

Guest Calx Sherbet

Jesus fuck you lot are a bunch of assholes. These kinds of threads should not be discouraged. It's an interesting way of looking at a previously known body of work. Never thought I would be defending dragon, but here I am.

thehauntingsoul once made a thread of bar graphs for autechre track durations, and somehow got less shit for it than dragon lol

thehauntingsoul once made a thread of bar graphs for autechre track durations, and somehow got less shit for it than dragon lol

Well it's good to know, innit. In case you don't have time for the whole album and you want to plan your time accordingly. :emotawesomepm9:

Holy shit, guys. This is the 60,000th thread. :sorcerer:

i remember when i came here like, OMGPEOPLEWHOKNOWABOUTAUTECHRE.

that was awesome. i made some dumbass thread about how i'd suck their dicks for privilege of the act.

good times right?

• 4 weeks later...

Ae thought of the day:

Every Autechre release has a longest track, and out of all of them, d-sho-qub is the shortest at 6:26. This makes Oversteps the Autechre release with the smallest range in track lengths. Conversely, at 7:37, PIOBmx19 is the longest Ae track to be shortest on the release it appears on.

guys did you know that there is an album with the word "garbage" in the title?

this is funny and ironic

it's even funnier and more ironic that the title track is pretty long.

ARE YOU GUYZ GETTING THIS

Every Autechre release has a longest track

No shit!!! REALLY!?

Right, OK. I challenge you to rewrite my post so that it does not contain that line. You must do it WITHOUT making the post sound like shit.

Archived