DAVID TORN STRVE ROACHE-THE LEAVEING TIME

HENDRIX-ELECTRICLADY/AXIS/EXPERIENCE

THE STOOGES-RAW POWER

THE RAMONES

JAMES BROWN-IN A JUNGLE GROOVW

PUBLIC ENEMY-NATION OF MILLIONS

Guest zaphod
aphex twin - drukqs

i love drukqs but are you crazy? no miss? not even "bit 4"?

a lot of people are mentioning great albums but you guys seriously never skip tracks on any of these? i mean i think loveless is one of the best things out there but there are some tracks that just drone on and on.

oh yes, loveless is also a very close one for me. I can listen to it all the way through but there are some songs that kinda drone on for me - and sometimes i skip.

oh, pshaw.

yall have very lax standards if you can list off 15 or 20 'perfect' albums. the only one i can think of as confirmed NO-MISS material is loveless, maybe coltrane's a love supreme or byrne/eno's my life in the bush of ghosts or mhrtrtc or something.

actually saw85-92 is a definite as well.

IMO!!

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band - No misses here

Susumu Yokota - Symbols - Only heard this recently, every track is great

Yunx - In the heat of the night - Completely awesome (last comment)

Uusitalo - Vaapa Muurari live

Theorem - Thx - Experiments in Synchronicity

also i dont skip any songs on ultravisitor

edit: autechre

Guest Turncoat Indian

yyys - fever to tell, i cant think of a bad track on it (well, maybe rich isnt as good as the rest, but i still wouldnt skip it).

Guest test pattern

amon tobin - permutation

at the drive in - relationship to command

autechre - draft 730

avalanches - since i left you

bill evans - explorations

black moth super rainbow - start a people

dabrye - one/three

dismemberment plan - emergency and i

dj shadow - endtroducing

dj spooky - songs of a dead dreamer

ghostface killah - supreme clientele

jamie lidell - multiply

jan jelinek - all 3 albums of his

john coltrane - a love supreme, meditations, afro blue impressions

keith fullerton whitman - playsthrough

kraftwerk - computer world

madvillian - madvillainy

mouse on mars - niun niggung

ooo - upon cycles

pole - 1, 2, and 3

RATM - 1st 3 albums

radiohead - kid a

ravel - nojima plays ravel

refused - the shape of punk to come

soft pink truth - do you party

squarepusher - go plastic

telefon tel aviv - farenheit fair enough

thelonius monk - thelonius monk and john coltrane

tortoise - its all around you

Guest zaphod

yeah you guys are crazy. i mean, i love "ok computer" but it's got some duds. i love "sakura" but there's tracks on there that mess up the flow.

i think i can nominate RDJ album, that one doesn't have a bad track and it's short. if these albums weren't short i guarantee i'd find something bad. fifty minutes of "pink moon" instead of twenty five or whatever would probably be detrimental to its impact.

i think i can nominate RDJ album, that one doesn't have a bad track and it's short. if these albums weren't short i guarantee i'd find something bad. fifty minutes of "pink moon" instead of twenty five or whatever would probably be detrimental to its impact.

on the money there.

andrew bird - the mysterious production of eggs

gary higgins - red hash

machine head - burning red

gang starr - step in the arena

milieu - night currents

bob dylan - the freewheelin bob dylan

aphex twin - drukqs

genesis - a trick of the tail

the prodigy - experience

cypress hill - black sunday

jamiroquai - the return of the space cowboy

If you believed the adverts the music industry puts out, it would seem like every album _ever_ can be listened to without skipping any tracks.

But the fact is, an album thats good all the way through is so rare, that when someone achieves it, it becomes an instant classic.

Goes to show how much the music industry has been ripping people off all these years.

Edit: Obviously subjective tastes discern whether an album is 'good all the way through' or not, so people wont always agree on which albums achieve this. But my point is: why is it so rare?

If you believed the adverts the music industry puts out, it would seem like every album _ever_ can be listened to without skipping any tracks.

But the fact is, an album thats good all the way through is so rare, that when someone achieves it, it becomes an instant classic.

Goes to show how much the music industry has been ripping people off all these years.

Edit: Obviously subjective tastes discern whether an album is 'good all the way through' or not, so people wont always agree on which albums achieve this. But my point is: why is it so rare?

Probably because it's damn hard to achieve, non?

But my point is: why is it so rare?

It's only half of the answer, isn't it ?

reliability is the word for when it has a positive aspect. identity , similarity ...

people need something to remember and something to discover. perfectionism is a problem and a goodie at the same time.

when man built the bicycle it was a good way of moving faster on one's own. that was not fast enough, so the car was invented. nowadays people are not even satisfied when they click on a computer and the information they want - which is located on the other side of the planet - comes not up below 3 seconds.

but when its immediate people get bored, because they know everything by then.

so for the music... looking/hearing at the history of music... there's perhaps some perfect albums that are not discovered by the masses (oh i feel there's a lot of people outside, that want to have a good music for them alone, really! "i have something better than you, i am genuine"), because there was not enough possibilities to get it known to all the people.

i also disagree on the argument that a "perfect album" is immediately a classic. perhaps that should be the way, yes... but this thread already shows, that you can't even know these classics at all. i have already made a list of interesting things... and perhaps i have now some respect for the people i didnt even know before - but the music/information was spread. sometimes it isnt.

perfectionism is moving with what human kind knows. and so the persons who are able to achieve "perfect" right in time are already rare. They need to have the time, the idea's, the mood, the knowledge and all other options deserved.

you are right, that is hard to achieve, but i think some should name why that it is... and its not just about playing the right snare in the correct second - although thats a point too.

Perfectionism even is not perfect. :) well... that could be a long discussion with a lot of statements, but its a twisted topic.

i'm glad the list here grew with such golden babies. i was afraid of some things before, mostly misunderstanding or misleading.

It seems to me the problem lies in trying to cover too many basses...

You almost think a good album would need a few upbeat party tunes, a few downbeat and then some chilled out tunes at the end - but the most cohesive albums seem to be much more consistant and stay on the same wavelength.

What I can't stand is where someone's tried to turn 2 or 3 good tunes into an album by adding a bunch of "less good" filler tunes to it... I think that's a waste of disc space... It's often down to label commitments of course.

It's often down to label commitments of course.

absolutely! when i have 2 tracks done...for a "topic-EP" and they are killer... and right in time and it took me weeks for them, and the label asks for "add more!" ... perhaps the thing goes down, even if the artists didnt mean that.

2 tracks is not the best example though.

i think this is only one part ... why majors dont have any respect anymore... because they lost so much by sticking to nonacoustical rules... and "it must be number xyz" or "have a cover looking like that" is not the real essential thing.

still though its needed for the "perfect marketing". plus its already proven hundreds of times, that the "real classic albums" did work with remindable beautiful optic too. still: eyes are less important than ears. but thats a topic for another discussion. perfection from the marketing view includes too many non-artificial subjects. plus they forbid too tell the bad things about it.

in my experience all the artists i'Ve been talking private to were agreeing on my selection of weak tracks! not for staying on my side... but for being honest. and honestly: i'd still buy a 2track EP if the quality is great. sometimes i'm searching for a couple of days for something that makes me a good acoustical mood - which actually is essential in a world of noise.

Well, yeah.

But too often I think artists and labels end up including tracks that they know are sub-standard on albums, just to fill it out. Why not wait until they've got a decent collection of tracks, and _then_ put out an album? (Answer: you make more money if you just bang out albums quickly, and the public will buy it anyway because they are used to albums being half-crap)

And I was making the point that the music industry marketing is always subtely implying that whatever album they are trying to flog really is good all the way through. But few of them are.

anyway.... the days of the filler-album are numbered ... people can now buy individual tracks if the album as a whole is not worth it...

This is why I largely prefer EPs or mini-albums

They are short enough so that they receive my full attention and there is a better likelihood of all the tracks being quality

BOC - Hi Scores

Autechre - Envane

Autechre - Cichlisuite

Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy

Brothomstates - Qtio

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

Two Lone Swordsmen - A Virus With Shoes

Gescom - ISS:SA

People Under The Stairs - Or Stay Tuned

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Many of my favorite releases are in the 30-40 minute range

Well, yeah.

But too often I think artists and labels end up including tracks that they know are sub-standard on albums, just to fill it out. Why not wait until they've got a decent collection of tracks, and _then_ put out an album? (Answer: you make more money if you just bang out albums quickly, and the public will buy it anyway because they are used to albums being half-crap)

And I was making the point that the music industry marketing is always subtely implying that whatever album they are trying to flog really is good all the way through. But few of them are.

anyway.... the days of the filler-album are numbered ... people can now buy individual tracks if the album as a whole is not worth it...

its not only about the money for the quicker releases! i feel like in those fast everchanging times you can have a today's music ... which is old tomorrow. and thats an view on the art, not on the money. if i need 12 months to create... i need to secure my living in that time... and need to make sure... the music is also still the fit in whats up in 12 months. its really tricky... and i dont mean to change for others... i mean what you feel yourself good with.

but your last statement is actually bold for the internet. plus its true. internet saves the music!

I'm wondering what place labels are going to end up having in the future too... big transitional period we're in right now...

It's certainly a big pro that with digital distribution you can choose which tracks you download and which you don't - so the days of the filler track probably are numbered... then again, what about those great albums which take weeks/months/years to fully appreciate?

If you just download the tunes which catch your attention you'll end up with a music collection of mostly superficial, A-sides...

I've got about 3000 mp's here and i still find myself looking for old CD's and records most the time... albums i bought on the strength of a track or two, but like some kind of trojan horse, they implant their more sophisticated compositions in your CD rack without you realising...

yall have very lax standards if you can list off 15 or 20 'perfect' albums.

not at all...i have listed beteween 10 and 20 albums.....none of which, i believe, have a duff track on them...

this thread is not a quest for the "perfect album" as such a thing does not exist, objectively

simply put...every album i have mentioned is excellent from start to finish.....

here`s a couple more...

• slag boom van loon......closest thing to the "perfect" electronica album in my book
  • nick drake_bryter layter
plus someone said ICBYD had no misses...though then stated they always skip over ventolin....?

does that not constitute a miss then???

oh, pshaw.

yall have very lax standards if you can list off 15 or 20 'perfect' albums. the only one i can think of as confirmed NO-MISS material is loveless, maybe coltrane's a love supreme or byrne/eno's my life in the bush of ghosts or mhrtrtc or something.

i don't know, i could say i'm a little more optimistic.. where do you draw the line?

:undecided:

interpol - turn on the bright lights

eric b & rakim - paid in full

autechre - untilted

quasimoto - the unseen

ride - nowhere

aphex - i care because you do

kraftwerk - computer world

public enemy - it takes a nation of millions to hold us back

prince - sign o' the times

Archived