80 members have voted

1. 1. Bracket 1

• Abandoned Soviet Monuments
    • The Fourth Dimension
  2. 2. Bracket 1

• Audio Paradoxes
    • Strandbeest
  3. 3. Bracket 2

• Theory That the Higgs Boson Traveled Back in Time To Prevent Its Discovery
    • Neutron Stars
  4. 4. Bracket 2

• Dew Covered Insects
    • 1 Dimensional Universe
  5. 5. Bracket 3

• Factories at Night
    • Teleportation
  6. 6. Bracket 3

• Tesla
    • Robot Trees
  7. 7. Bracket 4

• Windows 95
    • Exoskeleton for the Elderly
  8. 8. Bracket 4

• Space Stations
    • Girls with Robots

Guest Rambo

where does all the leaking piss and shit collect? design flaw.

997.jpg

in your families fucking face

someone hi five me

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point i'm basically voting on something i could actually make a song about.

yea robot trees is really dumb cause it isn't really a thing. :facepalm:

GUYS I FOUND ROBOT TREES :cisfor:

Shit is real.

artificial-tree.jpg

A group of scientists at Columbia University in the United States, announced it had created artificial trees that can help fight global warming, capable of absorbing CO2 from the atmosphere a thousand times faster than real trees.

The structure is similar to pine branches, but no need of sun or water to function. The secret is in the leaves, made of a plastic material capable of absorbing carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gases.

“In the same way as it does a natural tree, as the air flows through the leaves, these leaves absorb CO2 and holding him,” said the scientist Klaus Lacker, a geophysicist at the Earth Engineering Center at Columbia University in New York.

However, while trees and other plants store the gas in their tissues, the artificial tree stores CO2 in a filter, compressing the gas and turns it into liquid. Thus, the CO2 could be buried and permanently stored underground.

Artificial Trees

Although some environmentalists criticize the methods of burying carbon dioxide, Lacker said the use of their trees would give the world time to find better alternatives, for example, the development of “clean” energy, which do not produce gases. The group of U.S. researchers has created a small prototype, but says it is possible to produce a larger model.

“What I see in the short term is a device the size of a truck in which to install the sheets in a box similar to the filter of a boiler. Each machine would have 30 filters that together would measure 2.5 meters high and one meter wide, “said Lacker. This tower would act as a central collection outdoors, while the captured CO2 would be stored in another tower.

According to Klaus Lacker, each of these artificial trees could absorb one tonne of carbon dioxide per day, removing CO2 from the atmosphere equivalent to that produced by 20 cars. That means that the technology had any impact on the climate of the planet, it would take them millions of units. However, the technology is not cheap. It is estimated that each of these machines would cost about $ 30,000 (almost U.S. $ 60 000).

Forgetting the forests of truth

Still, Lacker believes he has his hands in an economically viable technology. “The world produces about 70 million cars per year, IE, the production units at this level is certainly possible and there is enough space in the world to install the machines,” he said.

The researcher calculates that if they were installed ten million “artificial trees” in the world, about 3.6 gigavolt of CO2 would be removed from the air each year. Currently, the world produces 30 gigavolt of CO2 per year. Therefore, Lacker advocates its invention as part of an overall strategy to create a society that is neutral in the production and absorption of carbon.

Source: http://www.sciencelov.com/?p=4174

I D and M

In light of this revelation, I have switched my vote to Robot Trees.

Wow, you can switch your vote ? DAMN U KNOB TWIDDLER !!!!

I guess a fight between the Soviet Monuments and the Higgs Boson would turn into a general WATMM genocide quite fast. I want it to happen BEFORE the finals.

9293praying-hands-and-rosary-posters.jpg

(and I love Christian paintings right now)

Guest theSun

higgs boson one is stupid,

robot trees are pretty intriguing though

also: space stations?? come on

rip alonzo

insect_dew_3.jpg

ftw

Also, why does the first of each pair _tend_ to get the most votes. Is it some sort of bias when faced with two random things?

I hope the ordering of each pair is randomized.

Archived