IGNORED

pics you took that you're pleased with

oscillik

• 2 weeks later...

some of them have too much hdr? I don't know I'm just picky with hdr, some pics look too bright/shinny? everything is illuminated... I guess I like shorter dynamic ranges... I'm old...

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:13 PM, cruising for burgers said:

some of them have too much hdr? I don't know I'm just picky with hdr, some pics look too bright/shinny? everything is illuminated... I guess I like shorter dynamic ranges... I'm old...

I agree and appreciate the feedback. I realized this week I had night mode (dims brightness and increases reds to adjust for sleep) automatically turning on on my computer for the past few weeks anytime after 10pm, which is the majority of the time I was editing a ton of pics I took recently. It definitely made me overcompensate a lot of parameters and now I'm too lazy to go back and reedit all of them. 

• Big Brain 1

11 hours ago, prdctvsm said:

^ LSD tag is dope

LSD has my favorite style in the city. Great Tall Hand, where the tag extends length-wise as high as the writer's body will allow:

image.thumb.png.27775b175f88a547e247904e5046236a.png

image.thumb.png.885a0ee0f795cdc60ae284b45c096c15.png

Also really nice hollow fill here

image.thumb.png.ff56ed16ea3193dd10a688c30ec0c82c.png

Edited by decibal cooper
formatting
  • Like 3

On 11/10/2023 at 1:10 AM, decibal cooper said:

image.thumb.png.806463873aa916ec85227c7345e5f5d7.png

Reveal hidden contents

piece by Navel - North Philadelphia

Reveal hidden contents

tag by LSD - North Philadelphia

i feel like i've seen this character before, in the book 'subway art' some 40 years ago. he was a little different though, white addidas clothes, but the face shape and moustache, the pose were all the same. even the moustache, i think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, logboy said:

i feel like i've seen this character before, in the book 'subway art' some 40 years ago. he was a little different though, white addidas clothes, but the face shape and moustache, the pose were all the same. even the moustache, i think.

That's cool, I did not know that. I like how at the top of his hat there is a little spray paint nozzle. The pic was taken at a site where a bunch of graff writers associated with the Philadelphia writer Busta do pieces on a wall that encloses a small city block, and every few months they buff everything and put up new work. From what I can tell they are steeped in old school Hip Hop culture, so what you say rings true. Here is another one from that same batch:

image.thumb.png.4c89548cc0cfb10cc8b97a94c950d46c.png

1 hour ago, decibal cooper said:

Here is another one from that same batch:

image.thumb.png.4c89548cc0cfb10cc8b97a94c950d46c.png

the sneaker style looks right. it's that exaggerated shape and size. the hands and legs too, kind of old fashioned and naive. 

i think it all got away from those 70s roots pretty quickly. by the mid 80's i can remember the extremely angular and busy, unreadable stuff to be quite commonplace.

the book is probably a good representation of the earlier, more sincere, less likely to have any opportunity for money-making kind of stuff.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, logboy said:

the sneaker style looks right. it's that exaggerated shape and size. the hands and legs too, kind of old fashioned and naive. 

i think it all got away from those 70s roots pretty quickly. by the mid 80's i can remember the extremely angular and busy, unreadable stuff to be quite commonplace.

the book is probably a good representation of the earlier, more sincere, less likely to have any opportunity for money-making kind of stuff.

I like the angular, unreadable, alien-looking tags a lot as well, but the old school stuff is very appealing to me. Just bought a reissue of Subway Art online, am looking forward to checking it out, so thanks!

18 minutes ago, decibal cooper said:

I like the angular, unreadable, alien-looking tags a lot as well, but the old school stuff is very appealing to me. Just bought a reissue of Subway Art online, am looking forward to checking it out, so thanks!

in all the years since, i've always liked the idea of the stuff, but i could never see how it could be followed properly and engaged with. i used to always be tempted by graphostism magazine, but never bought it.

• Like 1