IGNORED

Modeselektor - Monkeytown

Redruth

• 2 weeks later...

At last I can hear the samples with my monitors !

Sounds quality but what can one actually think with a 45 seconds excerpt for each track ?... It's frustrating and will certainly waste the pleasure of the whole album. But I can't resist.

Damn, some tracks really sounds wicked

edit : bump, by the way. How can this topic be buried 4 pages deep ?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was first quite disappointed while listening to it but wasn't very attentive then + those voices over and bleeps of that pre-release promo edition wasted the listening but now I think I enjoy it a lot.

My first disappointment was about the fact there are a majority of tracks with guest singers and that the tracks without voices weren't the best at all IMO and what I was expecting from Modeselektor was headfucking (voiceless) tracks like Godspeed or Edgar or older ones.

Anyway I now appreciate the diversity of genres and vocalists in the album ; it has some crazy moments (This, the track with Otto Von Schirach, Berlin, etc..). I just wonder if one day they'll come back to a more braindancy stuff as they made at the beginning. I don't know if you guys listened to the firsts EPs but some tracks are almost Autechre.

I just wonder if one day they'll come back to a more braindancy stuff as they made at the beginning.

They won't. They've found their goldmine so why go back to something that doesn't sell?

Anyway, I kinda like this album. There are definitely a couple of hits on it and I hope they'll release some singles in the near future with instrumental versions. I like the vocal on Pretentious Friends but the song that pops in nearing the end makes me shiver. I could have done without the Thom Yorke tunes - mostly because I'm getting really tried of Thom Yorke.

Blue Clouds, Berlin, and Grillwalker are by far my favorites.

I didn't like it on the first listen. Maybe i'm going to try some more listens because i respect their older work and sometimes a few more listens changes it all.

They won't. They've found their goldmine so why go back to something that doesn't sell?

Yeah after all I think the same but would like to believe a little bit that one day they'll do. You know, when they'll be 60 years old or something and will realise that making money begins to bore them.

nevermind

I didn't like it on the first listen. Maybe i'm going to try some more listens because i respect their older work and sometimes a few more listens changes it all.

you should try at least once more, that second time made it for me. But maybe I'm just over-reacting about my first disappointment and WANT to like it but eventually I'll realise I actually don't. ha

feels very scattershot.

Much agreed.

With a few more listens I eventually feel quite disappointed. I don't think I'll listen to it very much in the future. Which is a shame because some of its moments are awesome IMO (the moment of This when the bass line + the hatched rhythmic come in, and then the bass get doubled by that high voice-sounding synth gave me the thrills several times already) but I don't know, it could have been more focused.

Also, I think a lot of its tracks are OK but way too repetitive. Like the first track ; when I heard the excerpt for the album preview, I thought that this opening track would be the Godspeed! of Monkeytown, and when I heard the full track for the first time, I realised that the excerpt contained basically all that the track has to show. And that track is what, 5 minutes long ?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived